Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

ID: 15
Credit: 56,614
RAC: 0
Message 1153 - Posted 28 Oct 2006 10:39:56 UTC
Last modified: 28 Oct 2006 10:43:00 UTC

Hello,

A couple of months went by after this project got started. When referring statistics here , I found 24.5% of the participants inactive (haven't granted credits). It shows that around one quarter didn't crunch any workunits (though there may be those who cannot crunch them because of technical troubles like one which mac is experiencing).

Aren't so many users inactive that the progress of this project can be later than developers would have estimated? I suppose if more users were active then the project could be advanced much faster. Obviously it's no problem if the number of active users is enough, but I fear the users which use especially linux / mac / vista (though this is yet release candidate) isn't enough to test features with these OS or check behaviours of the science application on them.

If the number of active users aren't enough very well, other users who will / can crunch with energy should be invited.

Thanks for reading,
suguruhirahara

I'm a volunteer participant; my views are not necessarily those of Docking@Home or its participating institutions.

Memo
Forum moderator
Project developer
Project tester

ID: 14
Credit: 1,666,392
Message 1182 - Posted 29 Oct 2006 17:24:49 UTC - in response to Message ID 1153 .

Hello,

A couple of months went by after this project got started. When referring statistics here , I found 24.5% of the participants inactive (haven't granted credits). It shows that around one quarter didn't crunch any workunits (though there may be those who cannot crunch them because of technical troubles like one which mac is experiencing).

Aren't so many users inactive that the progress of this project can be later than developers would have estimated? I suppose if more users were active then the project could be advanced much faster. Obviously it's no problem if the number of active users is enough, but I fear the users which use especially linux / mac / vista (though this is yet release candidate) isn't enough to test features with these OS or check behaviours of the science application on them.

If the number of active users aren't enough very well, other users who will / can crunch with energy should be invited.

Thanks for reading,
suguruhirahara

You are right, we are currently giving invitation codes to any user with mac machines and also I think we need more linux boxes, but not as much as macs. Also, if someone wants to join with a combination of hardware/software that we don't have or are limited can send us an email requesting code.

The reason why we are using invitation codes, or that registration is not open, is that we feel that we have enough windows machines and, as you might agree with me, on a testing phase (for any project) is better not to be overloaded with information. For example imagine trying to make 1000 Linux users do the ulimit fix... its better if we have enough to expose the problems and we fix them before we are in the thousands.
Profile suguruhirahara
Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

Message 1190 - Posted 30 Oct 2006 6:46:50 UTC

I see, memo, thanks for replying :)

Profile suguruhirahara
Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

Message 1235 - Posted 1 Nov 2006 12:26:09 UTC
Last modified: 1 Nov 2006 12:27:06 UTC

According to the stats which shows host OS breakdown, the number of WinXP is 250. It's enough. But in contrast, that of linux is 77, darwin is only 18 and Vista(rc) is 3. mac users should be increased after the team releases the new charmm. As a user of vista I can say at this moment there is less invalid results received than before (almost zero), so issues around the os are being eliminated.

Profile suguruhirahara
Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

Message 1398 - Posted 14 Nov 2006 11:11:32 UTC

Hi all,

I noticed that several people joined this project in this week. The whole members of the team except memo has been to SC06, so I'll post a message to new participants.

Any participants are of course greatly welcomed, as around one quater of the participants are unfortunately inactive. But since this project is alpha-phase, please make sure you'll have a trouble in crunching results. Also, the science application especially for linux / mac is not always stable. Results sometimes encounter an error. There would be an invalid result. So, please be patient and test this project energetically.

Thanks for reading,
suguruhirahara

I'm a volunteer participant; my views are not necessarily those of Docking@Home or its participating institutions.

Profile John Hunt
Volunteer tester

ID: 270
Credit: 114,129
Message 1402 - Posted 14 Nov 2006 17:00:25 UTC

Thanks for the welcome message!
Alpha projects are a good change from reliable mainstream projects. Certainly relieves the boredom!
I cannot guarantee 24/7 100% output from my machine here, but I'll help as much as possible.
You will perhaps already have noticed that a few other crunchers from BOINC@AUSTRALIA have also joined.........

Profile suguruhirahara
Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

Message 1403 - Posted 14 Nov 2006 17:08:11 UTC
Last modified: 14 Nov 2006 17:10:25 UTC

Hi,

It sounds good:) Please inform linux/mac crunchers of your team about this project and offer testing.

Anyway, having joined the forum since starting, I can say this thing at least: The team needs both linux and mac crunchers, no more Windows crunchers. Of course running linux on a virtual machine system like VMWare is also welcomed:) I'm testing this project with some linux distros.

Also, posting a message and joining discussion / reporting issues are always welcomed...

Thanks for reading,
suguruhirahara

Profile clownius
Volunteer tester

ID: 280
Credit: 2,677
Message 1433 - Posted 16 Nov 2006 4:01:19 UTC

Another troublesome Boinc@Australia User has entered the forums :). I got 2 older linux boxes in the project and hope to have a Core 2 Linux machine playing here as well before long. So bring on the linux machines.

Profile suguruhirahara
Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

Message 1789 - Posted 17 Dec 2006 3:45:28 UTC

Hello all,

The number of inactive users has increased more than one third.
http://boincstats.com/stats/project_graph.php?pr=docking&view=users

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

ID: 1
Credit: 15,199
Message 1805 - Posted 18 Dec 2006 0:15:01 UTC

If any of you find any other people that are interested to help test, please let them know that they can write an email to dockingadmin at utep.edu for the invitation code. We'll be happy to take them aboard. I think many of the current volunteers might not realize that this is an alpha project with (unfortunately) still many problems. Maybe when they'll notice they detach :-(

Thanks
Andre

Message boards : Cafe Docking : One quarter: inactive

Database Error
: The MySQL server is running with the --read-only option so it cannot execute this statement
array(3) {
  [0]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(47) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/db_conn.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(97)
    ["function"]=>
    string(8) "do_query"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#15 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(78) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(1) {
      [0]=>
      &string(50) "update DBNAME.thread set views=views+1 where id=87"
    }
  }
  [1]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(48) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/forum_db.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(60)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#15 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(78) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(3) {
      [0]=>
      object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
        ["id"]=>
        string(2) "87"
        ["forum"]=>
        string(1) "3"
        ["owner"]=>
        string(2) "15"
        ["status"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["title"]=>
        string(21) "One quarter: inactive"
        ["timestamp"]=>
        string(10) "1166400901"
        ["views"]=>
        string(4) "1604"
        ["replies"]=>
        string(1) "9"
        ["activity"]=>
        string(23) "3.2671320614057997e-127"
        ["sufferers"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["score"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["votes"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["create_time"]=>
        string(10) "1162031996"
        ["hidden"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["sticky"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["locked"]=>
        string(1) "0"
      }
      [1]=>
      &string(6) "thread"
      [2]=>
      &string(13) "views=views+1"
    }
  }
  [2]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(63) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/user/community/forum/thread.php"
    ["line"]=>
    int(184)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(11) "BoincThread"
    ["object"]=>
    object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
      ["id"]=>
      string(2) "87"
      ["forum"]=>
      string(1) "3"