Poem@home display Wu and use GPU ? like Folding@home ?

Advanced search

Message boards : Docking@Home Science : Poem@home display Wu and use GPU ? like Folding@home ?

Sort
Zarck

ID: 2291
Credit: 20,624
RAC: 0
Message 6255 - Posted 13 Feb 2011 16:59:18 UTC

Docking@home display Wu and use GPU ? like Folding@home ?

@+
*_*

Profile Michela
Forum moderator
Project administrator
Project developer
Project tester
Project scientist

ID: 10
Credit: 97,083
Message 6258 - Posted 15 Feb 2011 0:47:02 UTC - in response to Message ID 6255 .

@+
*_*

We are not supporting GPUs yet. But a student is starting a semester project to move our MD code for GPU to BOINC. If successful, we will have a D@H for GPU in summer.

Stay tuned!

ID: 1577
Credit: 202,735
Message 6264 - Posted 16 Feb 2011 13:14:42 UTC - in response to Message ID 6258 .

We are not supporting GPUs yet. But a student is starting a semester project to move our MD code for GPU to BOINC. If successful, we will have a D@H for GPU in summer.
Stay tuned!

Great news!!
But, what type of client? CUDA? OpenCL? And it runs in double or single precision??
Profile Michela
Forum moderator
Project administrator
Project developer
Project tester
Project scientist

Message 6278 - Posted 28 Feb 2011 14:08:03 UTC - in response to Message ID 6264 .

Stay tuned!

Great news!!
But, what type of client? CUDA? OpenCL? And it runs in double or single precision??

So far we have been working with CUDA and C (http://gcl.cis.udel.edu/projects/fenzi/index.php. The code can be compiled in both single and double precision but testing shows that for the simulations we are running single precision is sufficient.

Michela

Message 6280 - Posted 2 Mar 2011 5:46:25 UTC - in response to Message ID 6278 .

So far we have been working with CUDA and C (http://gcl.cis.udel.edu/projects/fenzi/index.php. The code can be compiled in both single and double precision but testing shows that for the simulations we are running single precision is sufficient.
Michela

Thanks for answer!!
If you need beta testers, make a thread on forum :-)
Profile TheFiend

ID: 9482
Credit: 20,705,527
Message 6291 - Posted 9 Mar 2011 17:07:27 UTC

Sorry, but if Docking brings in a GPU client then I will no longer devote my computing power to this project.

TheFiend - currently #23 in total credit.

Profile [VENETO] boboviz

Message 6292 - Posted 9 Mar 2011 20:19:54 UTC - in response to Message ID 6291 .

Sorry, but if Docking brings in a GPU client then I will no longer devote my computing power to this project.

Why??
Profile TheFiend

Message 6294 - Posted 10 Mar 2011 5:31:06 UTC - in response to Message ID 6292 .

Why??

My CPU cycles, my choice...
Aaron Finney
Volunteer tester

ID: 367
Credit: 2,409,831
Message 6298 - Posted 13 Mar 2011 13:24:18 UTC - in response to Message ID 6294 .
Last modified: 13 Mar 2011 14:04:31 UTC

Double post deleted.

Aaron Finney
Volunteer tester

Message 6299 - Posted 13 Mar 2011 13:26:46 UTC - in response to Message ID 6298 .
Last modified: 13 Mar 2011 14:04:09 UTC

Triple post deleted - (again!? triple posts?)

Aaron Finney
Volunteer tester

Message 6300 - Posted 13 Mar 2011 13:27:47 UTC - in response to Message ID 6299 .
Last modified: 13 Mar 2011 14:20:55 UTC

Why??

That's an incredibly unctuous position to take, assuming you know all the facts.

Your credit is rudimentially based off of how much 'work' is performed. It has NOTHING to do with the 'type' of processor you use to complete it. Did you know that most projects would not benefit any more with a GPU app, then they would a CPU app? - Just because there are projects out there that are lucky enough to have the type of work that flourishes on a GPU, doesn't mean that every project will bear the same fruit.

The only logical 'Non-inflammatory' version of deciphering why you would want to leave this project would be that you don't have a GPU to devote to docking@home, are assuming that a Docking GPU application would swallow your position in the leaderboard with GPU-enabled machines, and you are graciously going to offer your CPU to a project that lacks a GPU application. When presented *as i now have articulated it* this is a truly altruistic and wonderful thing for a person to do - HOWEVER Your candor and 'tune' tell us, this is certainly not the case.

I'm going to just blankly *assume* that since you listed your current rank, along with your statement that you are selfishly devoting your resources to this project solely so you can climb a stats chart(?!), and are now THREATENING the project with your 'defection' should we open up a possibly stronger avenue of research. ---- Well... now that we know that you could give a crap about the HIV(and other) science being done here: I'll freely concede that stats are important to everyone, However -*THIS ARGUMENT ASIDE*- If another avenue of gaining credit presents itself, what's so hard about opening up your computer to a little GPU work? - Technology changes. Change with it, or get left behind. <-- Oh, and this isn't your choice.

I hear this same crap everytime a new version of windows comes out, or a new car hits the market. I suppose when we all get complacent with what we got we can have our whoopie goldberg moment, but your troll-worthy comment is ultimately thoughtless, just like her.

Oh and by the way - Your paltry 4 million credits will pale in comparison to what my GPU array will do, were we to lose you. I personally don't care about the credits, but god forbid we actually focus on the science being performed and curing diseases rather than our own egos.

Now I don't want to scare you away from projects, but what I would strongly advise you to do is to find a project you feel passionately about. As you can tell - This one is mine. I could care less if I am in last place, I am here because I believe in what this project is trying to do. I hope that one day, something that we do here (possibly through even my own machine) will help in the fight against HIV. Since you clearly are more interested in your credits rather than innovating, adapting, or merely contributing what you can - I really think you need to find projects you actually care about. - That way when things like this change that push you down the stats list, you can still feel good about yourself without stroking the ego button.
Profile TheFiend

Message 6301 - Posted 13 Mar 2011 16:32:47 UTC - in response to Message ID 6300 .

Why??

That's an incredibly unctuous position to take, assuming you know all the facts.

Your credit is rudimentially based off of how much 'work' is performed. It has NOTHING to do with the 'type' of processor you use to complete it. Did you know that most projects would not benefit any more with a GPU app, then they would a CPU app? - Just because there are projects out there that are lucky enough to have the type of work that flourishes on a GPU, doesn't mean that every project will bear the same fruit.

The only logical 'Non-inflammatory' version of deciphering why you would want to leave this project would be that you don't have a GPU to devote to docking@home, are assuming that a Docking GPU application would swallow your position in the leaderboard with GPU-enabled machines, and you are graciously going to offer your CPU to a project that lacks a GPU application. When presented *as i now have articulated it* this is a truly altruistic and wonderful thing for a person to do - HOWEVER Your candor and 'tune' tell us, this is certainly not the case.

I'm going to just blankly *assume* that since you listed your current rank, along with your statement that you are selfishly devoting your resources to this project solely so you can climb a stats chart(?!), and are now THREATENING the project with your 'defection' should we open up a possibly stronger avenue of research. ---- Well... now that we know that you could give a crap about the HIV(and other) science being done here: I'll freely concede that stats are important to everyone, However -*THIS ARGUMENT ASIDE*- If another avenue of gaining credit presents itself, what's so hard about opening up your computer to a little GPU work? - Technology changes. Change with it, or get left behind. <-- Oh, and this isn't your choice.

I hear this same crap everytime a new version of windows comes out, or a new car hits the market. I suppose when we all get complacent with what we got we can have our whoopie goldberg moment, but your troll-worthy comment is ultimately thoughtless, just like her.

Oh and by the way - Your paltry 4 million credits will pale in comparison to what my GPU array will do, were we to lose you. I personally don't care about the credits, but god forbid we actually focus on the science being performed and curing diseases rather than our own egos.

Now I don't want to scare you away from projects, but what I would strongly advise you to do is to find a project you feel passionately about. As you can tell - This one is mine. I could care less if I am in last place, I am here because I believe in what this project is trying to do. I hope that one day, something that we do here (possibly through even my own machine) will help in the fight against HIV. Since you clearly are more interested in your credits rather than innovating, adapting, or merely contributing what you can - I really think you need to find projects you actually care about. - That way when things like this change that push you down the stats list, you can still feel good about yourself without stroking the ego button.

Lot of assumptions in your post..... Credit isn't everything

My participation in Docking is nothing at all to do with ego. My wife lost a good friend to AIDS.

Profile [VENETO] boboviz

Message 6302 - Posted 13 Mar 2011 21:38:49 UTC - in response to Message ID 6294 .

Why??

Ok, but i cannot understand what is the problem if docking have a gpu app.
A lot of project have cpu app and gpu app and you can choose.
Profile [VENETO] boboviz

Message 6303 - Posted 13 Mar 2011 21:40:02 UTC - in response to Message ID 6294 .

But if gpu app helps the docking@home project, why not??
Profile Michela
Forum moderator
Project administrator
Project developer
Project tester
Project scientist

Message 6307 - Posted 30 Mar 2011 0:55:28 UTC - in response to Message ID 6303 .

Some time ago, one of the student in the group looked at how GPUs could help volunteer computing and tried to make some predictions. We wrote a short paper that you can download and read at:

http://gcl.cis.udel.edu/publications/conferences/009ICCS/paper.pdf

Your thoughts?

Michela

Profile [VENETO] boboviz

Message 6311 - Posted 5 Apr 2011 14:56:44 UTC - in response to Message ID 6307 .

Your thoughts?
Michela

It's a VERY good idea to work on gpu code, using the vast computational power of modern gpu card.
But i prefer if you use opencl (i know, cuda is more mature) because: a) it's open and b) is compatible with all hw (the other side of the moon, amd).
Have you idea about gpu version? Roadmap?
Profile Michela
Forum moderator
Project administrator
Project developer
Project tester
Project scientist

Message 6314 - Posted 11 Apr 2011 2:35:57 UTC - in response to Message ID 6311 .

Your thoughts?
Michela

It's a VERY good idea to work on gpu code, using the vast computational power of modern gpu card.
But i prefer if you use opencl (i know, cuda is more mature) because: a) it's open and b) is compatible with all hw (the other side of the moon, amd).
Have you idea about gpu version? Roadmap?

We are working with CUDA because when we started the coding, it was more mature.
You are right, OpenCL code is portable across GPUs and CPUs. At the same time OpenCL is not as fast as CUDA at this point. The OpenCL community is making interesting progress and we are observing and considering the next move.

ID: 333
Credit: 7,402,034
Message 6318 - Posted 16 Apr 2011 18:39:54 UTC - in response to Message ID 6314 .

Michela,

We are working with CUDA because when we started the coding, it was more mature.
You are right, OpenCL code is portable across GPUs and CPUs. At the same time OpenCL is not as fast as CUDA at this point. The OpenCL community is making interesting progress and we are observing and considering the next move.

I assume that your are using BOINC because you have a enormous amount of work to be done. And so your desire for speed is not to finish a job as fast as possible but to finish as much work as possible in a given amount of time. Given these assumptions it is hard to believe that you are maximizing work done by focusing on speed using CUDA and excluding so many GPUs by not using OpenCL.

GeneM
Profile [VENETO] boboviz

Message 6344 - Posted 11 May 2011 14:29:29 UTC

Any news???

Profile Michela
Forum moderator
Project administrator
Project developer
Project tester
Project scientist

Message 6345 - Posted 14 May 2011 0:24:04 UTC - in response to Message ID 6344 .

Any news???

Not really. We should have a first prototype in a couple of weeks for a small, internal grid of machines.

ID: 962
Credit: 1,009,904
Message 6346 - Posted 17 May 2011 15:10:53 UTC - in response to Message ID 6345 .

Any news???

Not really. We should have a first prototype in a couple of weeks for a small, internal grid of machines.

Glad to know that you are focusing on that.
In you need any test, even alpha test don't hesitate to contact me/us.
Profile Michela
Forum moderator
Project administrator
Project developer
Project tester
Project scientist

Message 6347 - Posted 19 May 2011 19:16:25 UTC - in response to Message ID 6255 .

@+
*_*

No, we are not distributing jobs on GPUs at this point. One of the reasons is that CHARMM does not run on GPUs. We look at GPUs with interest and have been working on a MD code for GPUs. One of the students in the group is testing a small framework with BOINC and our MD code for GPUs. This could become a very interesting follow-up for Docking@Home but we will need some time.

Message 6349 - Posted 25 May 2011 11:51:57 UTC - in response to Message ID 6347 .

We look at GPUs with interest and have been working on a MD code for GPUs. One of the students in the group is testing a small framework with BOINC and our MD code for GPUs. This could become a very interesting follow-up for Docking@Home but we will need some time.

:-)
Profile robertmiles

ID: 9967
Credit: 1,290,747
Message 6367 - Posted 15 Jun 2011 14:38:41 UTC
Last modified: 15 Jun 2011 14:47:13 UTC

I've found the the versions of BOINC available so far do not offer much support for OpenCL GPU workunits. There are plans to add such support in the 6.14.* series of versions, though. The versions so far seem to offer adequate support for OpenCL CPU workunits, though.

Milkyway@Home is using their own ways of filling in the missing pieces of OpenCL support; looks adequate if you don't have multiple GPUs on the same computer that you want to share among different BOINC projects offering GPU workunits, but likely to need many changes when the 6.14.* versions of BOINC become available.

I've found a program described as offering some help for translating CUDA to OpenCL, but not able to do the full job.

http://www.cse.scitech.ac.uk/disco/mew20/presentations/GPU_MattHarvey.pdf

Unclear if it can handle CUDA code for which you have only a compiled version, but not the source code.

Roberto Sartori [VENETO]

ID: 13601
Credit: 2,349,666
Message 6447 - Posted 15 Aug 2011 14:05:15 UTC

news? :)

Message boards : Docking@Home Science : Poem@home display Wu and use GPU ? like Folding@home ?

Database Error
: The MySQL server is running with the --read-only option so it cannot execute this statement
array(3) {
  [0]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(47) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/db_conn.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(97)
    ["function"]=>
    string(8) "do_query"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#30 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(102) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(1) {
      [0]=>
      &string(51) "update DBNAME.thread set views=views+1 where id=588"
    }
  }
  [1]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(48) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/forum_db.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(60)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#30 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(102) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(3) {
      [0]=>
      object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
        ["id"]=>
        string(3) "588"
        ["forum"]=>
        string(1) "1"
        ["owner"]=>
        string(4) "2291"
        ["status"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["title"]=>
        string(54) "Poem@home display Wu and use GPU ? like Folding@home ?"
        ["timestamp"]=>
        string(10) "1313417115"
        ["views"]=>
        string(4) "1197"
        ["replies"]=>
        string(2) "24"
        ["activity"]=>
        string(19) "2.3311566766291e-54"
        ["sufferers"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["score"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["votes"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["create_time"]=>
        string(10) "1297616358"
        ["hidden"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["sticky"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["locked"]=>
        string(1) "0"
      }
      [1]=>
      &string(6) "thread"
      [2]=>
      &string(13) "views=views+1"
    }
  }
  [2]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(63) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/user/community/forum/thread.php"
    ["line"]=>
    int(184)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(11) "BoincThread"
    ["object"]=>
    object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
      ["id"]=>
      string(3) "588"
      ["forum"]=>
      string(1) "1"