Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

ID: 1
Credit: 15,199
RAC: 0
Message 1923 - Posted 2 Jan 2007 23:23:19 UTC

We are currently experimenting with a new credit system for Docking@Home. This system will grant fixed credits based on server-side flops estimate for a workunit. To stay in line with other projects, we are currently thinking of granting 3.75e-12 credits per flop. In the case of our current target (workunit) this means 56.25 credits are granted for every result finished and validated (15e12*3.75e-12=56.25).

Also we are thinking about adding some extra credit for long term volunteers. For example: if somebody would be actively connected to the project for a 100 days, we would grant 100*0.01=1 credit to all validated results. This number would slowly increase on a daily basis of course :-) In the example above this would mean the volunteer receives a total of 57.25 credits for his/her finished and validated workunit.

For us this seems the fairest way of granting credit for work done, while at the same time keeping the competitive element, because faster computers will be able to complete their results faster and thus collect more credit per hour/day/month/year (yes, buying a faster machine will get you higher in the ranks, even with fixed credit :-)

We would appreciate your comments and feedback on this proposal. But whatever the credit system will look like in the future, always remember that science and curing diseases will come first!

Thanks
The D@H Team

Profile Webmaster Yoda
Volunteer tester

ID: 271
Credit: 6,498
Message 1924 - Posted 3 Jan 2007 1:03:12 UTC - in response to Message ID 1923 .

Sounds good to me in the case of Linux based hosts as they will get more appropriate credit than they do with the benchmark system. For Windows however, it may result in you losing participants unless the windows app can be optimized.

Put it this way, most Windows hosts running the stock Berkeley BOINC client currently claim about 70 to 85 credits per work unit because of the amount of CPU time it takes. Reducing their credit without reducing the processing time will mean this project grants the lowest credit of all.

I agree with your proposal, I just think the figure needs a bit more work.

Join the #1 Aussie Alliance on Docking@Home

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 1925 - Posted 3 Jan 2007 1:35:23 UTC - in response to Message ID 1924 .

Agreed. We will also work on optimization of the windows app at the same time to get it more in line with the linux and mac running times. This is probably going to be our biggest challenge though since Charmm was never meant to run on windows. But we'll figure out something, I am sure :-)

AK

Sounds good to me in the case of Linux based hosts as they will get more appropriate credit than they do with the benchmark system. For Windows however, it may result in you losing participants unless the windows app can be optimized.

Put it this way, most Windows hosts running the stock Berkeley BOINC client currently claim about 70 to 85 credits per work unit because of the amount of CPU time it takes. Reducing their credit without reducing the processing time will mean this project grants the lowest credit of all.

I agree with your proposal, I just think the figure needs a bit more work.

Message 1926 - Posted 3 Jan 2007 1:46:43 UTC - in response to Message ID 1925 .

Agreed. We will also work on optimization of the windows app at the same time to get it more in line with the linux and mac running times. This is probably going to be our biggest challenge though since Charmm was never meant to run on windows. But we'll figure out something, I am sure :-)

As noted in other threads, the disk writes (debug info) may well be part of the poor performance on Windows. Maybe once that's reduced/turned off, things will improve a lot.
Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 1927 - Posted 3 Jan 2007 2:11:36 UTC - in response to Message ID 1926 .
Last modified: 3 Jan 2007 2:11:49 UTC

Richard will be working on the diskwriting problem the next two weeks. His analysis will hopefully pinpoint the problem.

Thanks
Andre

As noted in other threads, the disk writes (debug info) may well be part of the poor performance on Windows. Maybe once that's reduced/turned off, things will improve a lot.

ID: 160
Credit: 109,415
Message 1928 - Posted 3 Jan 2007 6:12:13 UTC - in response to Message ID 1923 .

We are currently experimenting with a new credit system for Docking@Home. This system will grant fixed credits based on server-side flops estimate for a workunit. To stay in line with other projects, we are currently thinking of granting 3.75e-12 credits per flop. In the case of our current target (workunit) this means 56.25 credits are granted for every result finished and validated (15e12*3.75e-12=56.25).

Also we are thinking about adding some extra credit for long term volunteers. For example: if somebody would be actively connected to the project for a 100 days, we would grant 100*0.01=1 credit to all validated results. This number would slowly increase on a daily basis of course :-) In the example above this would mean the volunteer receives a total of 57.25 credits for his/her finished and validated workunit.

'Sounds' good to me... I also see that your planning to add some 'soft-credit'.
Could be a motivator for people to stay attached to docking... and why shouldn't they, docking is doing a nice 'job'..!!

;-)

But whatever the credit system will look like in the future, always remember that science and curing diseases will come first!

Thanks
The D@H Team

For sure..!

ID: 339
Credit: 16,191,581
Message 1931 - Posted 3 Jan 2007 22:51:09 UTC - in response to Message ID 1923 .

For us this seems the fairest way of granting credit for work done, while at the same time keeping the competitive element, because faster computers will be able to complete their results faster and thus collect more credit per hour/day/month/year (yes, buying a faster machine will get you higher in the ranks, even with fixed credit :-)

We would appreciate your comments and feedback on this proposal. But whatever the credit system will look like in the future, always remember that science and curing diseases will come first!

Thanks
The D@H Team

Is there a reasonable way to share the results of the WUs beginning at 19724 broken out by host(CPU, OS)?

Thank you.
Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 1932 - Posted 3 Jan 2007 23:32:33 UTC - in response to Message ID 1931 .

We will document the results of this experiment as soon as they come available and have been analyzed. As a matter of fact, we have just implemented a new HR class for PII's and III's on the Windows platform. This should get rid of quite some invalid results problems.

Thanks
Andre

Is there a reasonable way to share the results of the WUs beginning at 19724 broken out by host(CPU, OS)?

Thank you.

Volunteer tester

ID: 15
Credit: 56,614
Message 1940 - Posted 4 Jan 2007 11:42:55 UTC - in response to Message ID 1923 .

Hello,

This way is interesting in that it will appreciate not only how much hosts will have crunched workunits but also how long participants will have intersted in the project ie advance of the science.

But whatever the credit system will look like in the future, always remember that science and curing diseases will come first!

Why not?!:D

thanks for reading,
suguruhirahara

I'm a volunteer participant; my views are not necessarily those of Docking@Home or its participating institutions.
Tom Philippart
Volunteer tester

ID: 340
Credit: 44,929
Message 1944 - Posted 4 Jan 2007 19:16:01 UTC - in response to Message ID 1940 .

That credit system sounds good to me too, but as Yoda said it only works in line with optimisations for windows. Good luck with that!

I like the idea of the extra credit too :)

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 1945 - Posted 4 Jan 2007 22:14:26 UTC - in response to Message ID 1944 .

Managed to get the windows running time down from 8 to 4.5 hours (3.5 on the same linux box). Not bad :-) We're getting there...

Thanks!
Andre

That credit system sounds good to me too, but as Yoda said it only works in line with optimisations for windows. Good luck with that!

ID: 129
Credit: 11,804
Message 1946 - Posted 4 Jan 2007 23:17:57 UTC - in response to Message ID 1945 .
Last modified: 4 Jan 2007 23:19:06 UTC

Managed to get the windows running time down from 8 to 4.5 hours (3.5 on the same linux box). Not bad :-) We're getting there...

Thanks!
Andre

Indeed not bad ;)
How did you do ?
Profile David Ball
Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

ID: 115
Credit: 1,634,401
Message 1947 - Posted 5 Jan 2007 0:16:24 UTC - in response to Message ID 1945 .

Thanks!
Andre

Hi Andre,

I was just wondering if this was with an AMD or Intel CPU? Were the changes all to the code writing the debug file? Async writes, maybe?

Thanks,

-- David

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 1949 - Posted 5 Jan 2007 17:31:07 UTC - in response to Message ID 1947 .
Last modified: 5 Jan 2007 17:31:50 UTC

No changes to the code; just optimization parameters of the compiler. That's not as easy as it sounds though, because too much optimization will introduce more divergencies. Have it set to O2 and included some floating point precision stuff now and tested on all the platforms that we have in the lab; up to know things look good. We have to shave of another hour or so though to get it in line with Linux/Mac workunits.

Michela/Richard are working on the disk write problem and hope to have something ready in 2 weeks or so.

Thanks
Andre

Thanks!
Andre

Hi Andre,

I was just wondering if this was with an AMD or Intel CPU? Were the changes all to the code writing the debug file? Async writes, maybe?

Thanks,

-- David

ID: 280
Credit: 2,677
Message 1956 - Posted 6 Jan 2007 0:53:17 UTC

If you go to fixed credits i might have to bring my Core 2 Duo here to crunch for a bit. The credits before were so bad i went and crunched RCN lol. if anyone knows RCN the credits there are quorum of 1 so on a Linux box absolute garbage.

Profile Webmaster Yoda
Volunteer tester

Message 1957 - Posted 6 Jan 2007 1:33:07 UTC - in response to Message ID 1956 .

If you go to fixed credits i might have to bring my Core 2 Duo here to crunch for a bit. The credits before were so bad i went and crunched RCN lol. if anyone knows RCN the credits there are quorum of 1 so on a Linux box absolute garbage.

Yeah, same here. I've recently switched from Windows to Ubuntu. I'm running one Docking WU (after breaking 3 of them with the stack problem) but looks like I'll get just 15 or so credits for 4.5 hours work (6.67 per hour if running two threads). Very poor for a 3.4GHz Pentium 4.

The proposed new credit system would give it 56 credits for 4.5 hours. It's not the best this computer can do (it would get more on SETI or CPDN) but would definitely put it in the ballpark for Linux crunchers.

Roll on fixed credits - it will make this project more attractive to crunchers who are in it for the competition.

Profile clownius
Volunteer tester

Message 1958 - Posted 6 Jan 2007 2:19:07 UTC

Any hints as to when this might come in? I run all Linux machines (plus 1 part time Windows box). I have a Core 2 Duo 2.13Ghz and a Celery 2Ghz that will be taking work on 20 seconds after the credits are fixed. I like the science here but the competitive side of me doesn't like the fact the credits are so poor. Fix that and i have an almost ideal project.

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 1961 - Posted 6 Jan 2007 4:35:20 UTC - in response to Message ID 1958 .

We'll implement the fixed credits as soon as we have the crunching times on the several platforms more in line with each other. This shouldn't be too long from now; maybe two weeks.

Thanks,
Andre

Any hints as to when this might come in? I run all Linux machines (plus 1 part time Windows box). I have a Core 2 Duo 2.13Ghz and a Celery 2Ghz that will be taking work on 20 seconds after the credits are fixed. I like the science here but the competitive side of me doesn't like the fact the credits are so poor. Fix that and i have an almost ideal project.

ID: 100
Credit: 4,256,493
Message 1991 - Posted 9 Jan 2007 11:24:39 UTC
Last modified: 9 Jan 2007 11:25:59 UTC

> Points granted between Linux and Windows (don't know about Mac) currently favour Windows by quite a bit, even with the longer processing times.
I did a little experiment to see what the difference will be with the current WU times and the new point system (yes I know, some people say I have too much time on my hands).
Using 11 results spread over about a month to see if any processing times have changed (I have used 11 as 1 computer only has 11 successful results).

Intel P4 2.53 @2.75 GHz running Windows.
AMD X2 4800+ (core speed 2.4 GHz) running Windows.
AMD Opteron 275 (core speed 2.2 GHz) running Linux.
AMD Opteron 285 (core speed 2.6 GHz) running Linux.

>> Intel P4 WUs from 22/11/06 to 1/1/07
Ave processing time = 31,767.91 seconds (8.82 hours)
Ave points awarded = 83.11
Total points awarded for 11 results = 914.22
Ave Points/hour = 9.42

>> AMD X2 4800+ WUs from 6/12/06 to 5/1/07
Ave processing time = 21,301.70 seconds (5.92 hours)
Ave points awarded = 81.78
Total points awarded for 11 results = 899.61
Ave points/hour = 13.83

>> AMD Opteron 275 WUs from 19/12/06 to 9/1/07
Ave processing time = 10,283.96 seconds (2.86 hours)
Ave points awarded = 28.14
Total points awarded for 11 results = 309.51
Ave points/hour = 9.84

>> AMD Opteron 285 WUs from 13/12/06 to 9/1/07
Ave processing time = 8,692.57 seconds (2.42 hours)
Ave points awarded = 27.55
Total points awarded for 11 results = 303.07
Ave points/hour = 11.38

Now if the new system (without any bonus points) is applied then
Ave points awarded = 56.25 (for all computers)
Total points awarded for any 11 results = 56.25x11 = 618.75 (for all computers)
Ave points/hour for Intel P4 2.53 = 56.25 points/8.83 hours = 6.37 (from 9.42)
Ave points/hour for AMD X2 4800+ = 56.25 points/5.92 hours = 9.50 (from 13.83)
Ave points/hour for Opteron 275 = 56.25 points/2.86 hours = 19.67 (from 9.84)
Ave points/hour for Opteron 285 = 56.25 points/2.42 hours = 23.24 (from 11.38)

So from this Linux credit will about double, 303 to 618 points (about time) and Windows credit will drop by a third 900 to 618 points.
Credit per hour drops 32% on the Intel P4
Credit per hour drops 31% on the AMD 4800+
Credit per hour increases 100% on the Opteron 275
Credit per hour increases 104% on the Opteron 285

So I am in favour of the nem system (makes it about equal to Einstein for credit per hour) but Windows needs to be sorted out (I don't know what chance you have as Bill Gates has tried for over 10 years and he still can't sort Windows out).

But you can see that if people are only doing a small number of Linux jobs and the same number of Windows jobs they will get more points with Windows even though it takes longer to do a job.

Andre I have not noticed any difference in the processing times of my Windows work units since November to now. Linux also has stayed the same.

I know this has been long winded but it shows to you 4 different computers and 2 operating systems and shows the differences between them.

P.S. Sorry if my maths is out a bit but I think it is right.

Profile suguruhirahara
Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

Message 1992 - Posted 9 Jan 2007 12:12:14 UTC - in response to Message ID 1991 .
Last modified: 9 Jan 2007 12:13:00 UTC

Hello,

So I am in favour of the nem system (makes it about equal to Einstein for credit per hour) but Windows needs to be sorted out (I don't know what chance you have as Bill Gates has tried for over 10 years and he still can't sort Windows out).

But you can see that if people are only doing a small number of Linux jobs and the same number of Windows jobs they will get more points with Windows even though it takes longer to do a job.

I'm somewhat agree that windows needs sorting out, but it should be until charmm will be optimised enough to make it possible for one on windows to compute data as fast as one on linux does. There is so great a difference yet between its performance on linux and on windows that it is unfair for windows users' side. Yet I'm sure that the new system is quite fair for linux users' side, since the new system is "definately" based on the performance of their hosts. The number of linux users will increase whether they're users of VMWare on windows or not, though:)

thanks for reading,
suguruhirahara

I'm a volunteer participant; my views are not necessarily those of Docking@Home or its participating institutions.
Profile clownius
Volunteer tester

Message 2000 - Posted 9 Jan 2007 14:30:08 UTC

Just out of interest Conan what version of BOINC are you using? Thats very good credit and speed you get out of your Linux systems. Congratz on the speed you get though my C2D is jealous lol.
I find a WU on my Kubuntu 6.10 Core 2 Duo E6400 takes just under 2hrs 50mins and get awarded 16-20 credits (although ive got as high as 25 and as low as 11). Im lucky to get 6-6.5 cr/hr/core on a machine that regularly gets 19cr/hr/core on CPDN and Einstein and around 24 cr/hr/core on Seti optimized. I think i even get better credit on Malaria control as i quorum against windoze machines which really drags my granted credit up.

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2002 - Posted 9 Jan 2007 15:48:57 UTC - in response to Message ID 1991 .

Thanks for this detailed analysis Conan; I'm glad that people have a lot of time on their hands. We are very close to getting the windows crunching time similar to the linux crunching time on the same host, which will address your concern. If testing goes without problems, we might possibly release the new windows app today. Then we'll closely observe the new situation for a while and in case times are similar for most platform types, we'll go to fixed credits.

Cheers
AK

> Points granted between Linux and Windows (don't know about Mac) currently favour Windows by quite a bit, even with the longer processing times.
I did a little experiment to see what the difference will be with the current WU times and the new point system (yes I know, some people say I have too much time on my hands).
Using 11 results spread over about a month to see if any processing times have changed (I have used 11 as 1 computer only has 11 successful results).

Intel P4 2.53 @2.75 GHz running Windows.
AMD X2 4800+ (core speed 2.4 GHz) running Windows.
AMD Opteron 275 (core speed 2.2 GHz) running Linux.
AMD Opteron 285 (core speed 2.6 GHz) running Linux.

>> Intel P4 WUs from 22/11/06 to 1/1/07
Ave processing time = 31,767.91 seconds (8.82 hours)
Ave points awarded = 83.11
Total points awarded for 11 results = 914.22
Ave Points/hour = 9.42

>> AMD X2 4800+ WUs from 6/12/06 to 5/1/07
Ave processing time = 21,301.70 seconds (5.92 hours)
Ave points awarded = 81.78
Total points awarded for 11 results = 899.61
Ave points/hour = 13.83

>> AMD Opteron 275 WUs from 19/12/06 to 9/1/07
Ave processing time = 10,283.96 seconds (2.86 hours)
Ave points awarded = 28.14
Total points awarded for 11 results = 309.51
Ave points/hour = 9.84

>> AMD Opteron 285 WUs from 13/12/06 to 9/1/07
Ave processing time = 8,692.57 seconds (2.42 hours)
Ave points awarded = 27.55
Total points awarded for 11 results = 303.07
Ave points/hour = 11.38

Now if the new system (without any bonus points) is applied then
Ave points awarded = 56.25 (for all computers)
Total points awarded for any 11 results = 56.25x11 = 618.75 (for all computers)
Ave points/hour for Intel P4 2.53 = 56.25 points/8.83 hours = 6.37 (from 9.42)
Ave points/hour for AMD X2 4800+ = 56.25 points/5.92 hours = 9.50 (from 13.83)
Ave points/hour for Opteron 275 = 56.25 points/2.86 hours = 19.67 (from 9.84)
Ave points/hour for Opteron 285 = 56.25 points/2.42 hours = 23.24 (from 11.38)

So from this Linux credit will about double, 303 to 618 points (about time) and Windows credit will drop by a third 900 to 618 points.
Credit per hour drops 32% on the Intel P4
Credit per hour drops 31% on the AMD 4800+
Credit per hour increases 100% on the Opteron 275
Credit per hour increases 104% on the Opteron 285

Andre I have not noticed any difference in the processing times of my Windows work units since November to now. Linux also has stayed the same.

I know this has been long winded but it shows to you 4 different computers and 2 operating systems and shows the differences between them.

P.S. Sorry if my maths is out a bit but I think it is right.

Project developer
Project tester

ID: 14
Credit: 1,666,392
Message 2010 - Posted 9 Jan 2007 22:43:54 UTC

I was about to say the same thing...

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2012 - Posted 10 Jan 2007 0:26:47 UTC

Charmm 5.4 for windows has been released. Let's see how this works out on platforms we can't test in the lab. Maybe Conan can perform another one of his analyses in a couple of days :-)

Thanks
Andre

Profile Conan
Volunteer tester

Message 2015 - Posted 10 Jan 2007 1:21:45 UTC - in response to Message ID 2000 .

Just out of interest Conan what version of BOINC are you using? Thats very good credit and speed you get out of your Linux systems. Congratz on the speed you get though my C2D is jealous lol.
I find a WU on my Kubuntu 6.10 Core 2 Duo E6400 takes just under 2hrs 50mins and get awarded 16-20 credits (although ive got as high as 25 and as low as 11). Im lucky to get 6-6.5 cr/hr/core on a machine that regularly gets 19cr/hr/core on CPDN and Einstein and around 24 cr/hr/core on Seti optimized. I think i even get better credit on Malaria control as i quorum against windoze machines which really drags my granted credit up.

> Hello Clownius,
I am using Boinc version 5.2.13 on the Linux machines since about April '06. The computers use AMD Opteron dual core chips which seem to be more efficent than mainstream processors (including other AMD chips, my 4800+ does a short Einstein WU in the same time of 35 minutes as my slower clocked Opteron 275).
Your Core 2 Duo takes about the same time for a Docking WU as my Opteron 275 of 2 h 50m whilst my Opteron 285 running at 2.6 GHz takes 2h 25m.
It could be that AMD chips have better Floating Point ability but I am unsure if Docking uses Floating Point or Integer.
My computers run nothing else but Boinc so have very low overheads.
My credit depends on the quorum, I don't recall getting as low as 11 (something wrong with the computer that claimed that) but my grouping seems to get a number of machines that claim mid to high 20's, with 25 being a common result for me. I do recall getting down to 16 a few times.
I also saw that of the 11 results that I used for my figures they were mostly of the higher claims, my average would of been very much lower if I just picked out the really low claims. That was not the point of my exercise as I was just grabbing random Work units and happened to pick a lot of the better claims.

Message 2016 - Posted 10 Jan 2007 1:32:18 UTC - in response to Message ID 2015 .

Hello,

> Hello Clownius,
I am using Boinc version 5.2.13 on the Linux machines since about April '06.

There might be a possibility that benchmark on linux has been improved through testing. You'll see a large defference between the score on 5.2.13 and that on 5.8.1, though it's unmentioned and there's no assurance.

Profile clownius
Volunteer tester

Message 2017 - Posted 10 Jan 2007 1:37:15 UTC

Fair enough. My computers often claimed 10-15 credits per WU but i am using 5.4.11 which seems to be one of the worst Linux benchmarks ever lol. Hopefully once i get my next computer i can run this one headless and reduce my run times but at the moment it is my desktop so its doing everything lol.
What if anything do you do to optimize your Linux boxes? Custom kernels or anything/overclock? I want to try and get my machines running as fast as comparable windoze machines before to long.
Also a huge congratulations for single handedly holding off BOINC@AUSTRALIA for so long we just cant quite get past you. An outstanding performance.

Profile Webmaster Yoda
Volunteer tester

Message 2018 - Posted 10 Jan 2007 2:04:50 UTC - in response to Message ID 2017 .

Linux BOINC 5.8.1 has better benchmarks on my P4/3.4 if I run with one thread - only about 5% lower than Windows. But If I run with HT enabled and using both virtual cores it's still awful. I haven't tested it on any other computers as this is the only Linux box I've got, but my guess is that at least on single core processors it would be close to Windows.

And yes, congratulations for holding us off for so long. Imagine where we'd be if we were a combined Aussie team (hmm, we'd probably be ranked 4th!)

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2019 - Posted 10 Jan 2007 2:19:37 UTC - in response to Message ID 2015 .

It could be that AMD chips have better Floating Point ability but I am unsure if Docking uses Floating Point or Integer.

We rely on almost only floating point operations (let's say 99.5%). The app doesn't use any cpu-specific features (like for example SSE2/3) though. At least not yet; we would only be able to optimize per platform if we go fully HR which we might do later on.

Cheers
Andre

ID: 114
Credit: 2,817,648
Message 2022 - Posted 10 Jan 2007 3:24:49 UTC - in response to Message ID 2019 .

We rely on almost only floating point operations (let's say 99.5%). The app doesn't use any cpu-specific features (like for example SSE2/3) though. At least not yet; we would only be able to optimize per platform if we go fully HR which we might do later on.

HR?
Volunteer tester

Message 2023 - Posted 10 Jan 2007 4:02:03 UTC - in response to Message ID 2022 .
Last modified: 10 Jan 2007 4:02:22 UTC

HR?

Homogenous Redundancy

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/homogeneous_redundancy.php
Profile Conan
Volunteer tester

Message 2029 - Posted 10 Jan 2007 15:31:40 UTC

> Thanks Clownius and Webmaster Yoda, BOINC@AUSTRALIA is certainly pushing me and making me work hard (I am sure Docking@home does not mind in the least), If there were more members in my team....ah now there's a thought, web page, members???

Clownius my computers are all standard bar my Intel which runs Windows (it is overclocked from 2.53 to 2.75 GHz, fastest speed but slowest computer), my ASUS overclocking motherboard on the 4800+ machine wont overclock it reboots all the time (took a year to work that out) and now runs perfectly at standard speeds. The Linux machines were built by me but I have done nothing else with them (I have done bugger all with them since April bar an attempt to rerun a CPDN model on the Opteron 275 machine a couple of months ago which stuffed everything, I did it wrong apparently, and a reinstall was required duplicating this host in 4 projects including Docking).
Don't really have an idea how compile anything let alone a Kernel.

Andre confirmed that Floating Point calculations are done in Docking which I have read favour the AMD chips particuarly Server types like my Opterons.

Just checked whilst writing this and the new 5.04 Docking version only took just 12,050.06 seconds (3h 20m 50s) on my Intel P4 2.53 machine compared to 31,747.91 seconds (8h 50m) on version 5.03. That is really impressive.
With the proposed 56.25 cobblestones for each WU = 56.25/3.34 = 16.84 c/h
(Compared to 9.42 average under the old system).

Profile suguruhirahara
Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

Message 2065 - Posted 12 Jan 2007 17:35:07 UTC
Last modified: 12 Jan 2007 17:36:23 UTC

Finally one of my hosts, which has Pentium M (Dothan) and 1GB RAM, completed crunching several workunits. Actually the time when it needed to crunch a task became almost half (from 8.23 hour to 3.93), and it became relatively close to one which linux through VMWare takes in crunching a task.

On Charmm 5.3, credits/hour is 8.68, and on Charmm 5.4 it will be 56.25/3.93 = 14.31. This seems to me higher than expected, isn't it.

suguruhirahara

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2066 - Posted 12 Jan 2007 20:55:32 UTC - in response to Message ID 2065 .

Hi Suguru,

The 56.25 is not set in stone yet. We are still experimenting with different numbers and methods. In the end we'd like to be as much in line with what other projects grant (anybody having any data on credit/h lying around?).

Thanks
Andre

Finally one of my hosts, which has Pentium M (Dothan) and 1GB RAM, completed crunching several workunits. Actually the time when it needed to crunch a task became almost half (from 8.23 hour to 3.93), and it became relatively close to one which linux through VMWare takes in crunching a task.

On Charmm 5.3, credits/hour is 8.68, and on Charmm 5.4 it will be 56.25/3.93 = 14.31. This seems to me higher than expected, isn't it.

suguruhirahara

Message 2068 - Posted 12 Jan 2007 22:45:39 UTC - in response to Message ID 2066 .
Last modified: 12 Jan 2007 23:37:27 UTC

Somebody posted an exellent comparison of the credits/hour of nearly all the project, but sadly the links to the charts expired.

That's why I planned to do one based on an average of the last few WUs of projects I recently contributed in.

I'm using an athlon 64 X2 4600+ running on windows xp sp2.

I'll post it as soon as I complete it.

Tom Philippart
Volunteer tester

Message 2069 - Posted 12 Jan 2007 23:38:34 UTC - in response to Message ID 2068 .
Last modified: 12 Jan 2007 23:39:30 UTC

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windows XP SP2

this picture won't expire (unless I delete it from my server)

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2070 - Posted 13 Jan 2007 2:22:24 UTC - in response to Message ID 2069 .

According to this table, our possible future 14.31 credits/h doesn't look so crazy :-)

Thanks a lot Tom!

Andre

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windows XP SP2

this picture won't expire (unless I delete it from my server)

Message 2071 - Posted 13 Jan 2007 4:13:05 UTC - in response to Message ID 2070 .
Last modified: 13 Jan 2007 4:29:39 UTC

According to this table, our possible future 14.31 credits/h doesn't look so crazy :-)

Except what Tom quoted is credit per hour, not per work unit.

EDIT: I can't read... But credits per hour is not a good guide as it will be vastly different between say a 200MHz Pentium II and a Core 2 Duo overclocked to 4GHz. Of course, I'd love to get 14.31 credits an hour on a slow computer - I think I'll be able to find a few old Pentiums if you go down that track :D

Here's some figures from my own Windows hosts, running Charmm 5.04. These figures are claimed credits per work unit :

2.8 GHz Mobile Pentium4: 27.75 (average over 3 WU)
2.3 GHz Athlon XP 3000+: 38.40 (average over 4 WU)
2.6 GHz Athlon 64 3700+: 31.91 (average over 8 WU)
2.4 GHz Pentium 4 no HT: 29.82 (average over 2 WU)

Tom's 4600+ is averaging 32.66 claimed credits over 3 work units.

My computers above are all running an official BOINC client (ranging from 5.4.9 to the 5.8.1 development version). No fiddling with benchmarks, no "optimised" clients. Some overclocking, but that should not be an issue (they bench higher but complete work faster)

Note also that most computers get more at SETI and Einstein for the same amount of CPU time - you might want to err on the generous side if you want to attract lots of crunchers.

Perhaps you could run a query on the database to see what people are claiming (on average) with Windows, using Charmm 5.04 only? Delete any outliers (like >50 or <20 credits) and see what the rest works out to.

Profile Conan
Volunteer tester

Message 2075 - Posted 13 Jan 2007 8:39:04 UTC
Last modified: 13 Jan 2007 9:32:28 UTC

> This is a rough analysis of my projects since November, it shows that credit does vary even on projects with fixed credits. The faster the machine the more credit per hour awarded. You can see that I seem to have a credit drop or a rise in credits depending on project or host.
> What computer are you using to base your credit per hour of 14.31 on?

The below credit per hour correlates with granted credit in a Quorum or standardised credit system.

Project____| Computer____________|Date_______|Cred/Hr_______|Date_______|Cred/Hr
Rosetta____| Intel 2.40GHz Cel_____|08/11/06___| 7.37_________|02/01/07___| 6.85
Rosetta____| Intel 2.53GHz P4______|08/11/06___| 9.04_________|02/01/07___| 8.58
Rosetta____| AMD 4800+ 2.4GHz___|08/11/06___|14.43_________|02/01/07___|14.13
Rosetta____| Opteron 275 2.2GHz___|08/11/06___|14.81_________|02/01/07___|15.00
Rosetta____| Opteron 285 2.6GHz___|08/11/06___|15.43_________|02/01/07___|16.09
Docking____| Intel 2.53GHz P4______|09/01/07___|9.42 (v5.03)____|13/01/07___| 9.18 (v5.04)
Docking____| AMD 4800+ 2.4GHz___|08/11/06___|______________|09/01/07___|13.83 (v5.03)
Docking____| Opteron 275 2.2GHz___|08/11/06___|11.09_________|09/01/07___| 9.84
Docking____| Opteron 285 2.6GHz___|08/11/06___|10.42_________|09/01/07___|11.38
Einstein____| Intel 2.53GHz P4______|08/11/06___|3.5(long wu)____|13/01/07___|14.81 (short wu)
Einstein____| AMD 4800+ 2.4GHz___|08/11/06___|20.88_________|13/01/07___|21.68 (short wu)
Einstein____| Opteron 275 2.2GHz___|08/11/06___|19.55_________|13/01/07___|20.43 (short wu)
Einstein____| Opteron 285 2.6GHz___|08/11/06___|22.86_________|13/01/07___|23.96 (short wu)
CPDN_____| Opteron 275 2.2GHz___|08/11/06___|17.82_________|13/01/07___|17.64
CPDN_____| Opteron 285 2.6GHz___|08/11/06___|______________|13/01/07___|18.43
QMC______| AMD 4800+ 2.4GHz___|08/11/06___|13.74_________|___________|
QMC______| Opteron 275 2.2GHz___|08/11/06___|18.26_________|___________|
QMC______| Opteron 285 2.6GHz___|08/11/06___|21.55_________|___________|
LHC______| Opteron 285 2.6GHz____|08/11/06___|10.22_________|13/01/07___|13.34
Ralph_____| AMD 4800+ 2.4GHz____|08/11/06___|14.37_________|13/01/07___|17.53
Ralph_____| Opteron 275 2.2GHz____|08/11/06___|15.38_________|13/01/07___|25.39
Ralph_____| Opteron 285 2.6GHz____|08/11/06___|15.85_________|13/01/07___|25.20
Seti_______| Intel 2.53GHz P4______|08/11/06___|12.47_________|13/01/07___|11.77
Seti______| AMD 4800+ 2.4GHz______|08/11/06___|10.05_________|___________|

Tom Philippart
Volunteer tester

Message 2077 - Posted 13 Jan 2007 15:02:47 UTC
Last modified: 13 Jan 2007 15:04:07 UTC

With 56.25 credits/WU and the runtime/WU (windows 5.04) wouldn't change anymore, we would have on my 4600+ 24.37 credits/h.

That is, even though we would attract many stats addicted people, far too much.

22.11 is the average of the projects granting the highest amount of credits/h (Einstein, SIMAP and TANPAKU).

Converting this into credits/WU on Docking@home would be 51.04 credits/WU. In my opinion a value around this would be best. It's in line with other projects and the moderately high amount of credit granted attracts many credit hunters.

Profile Webmaster Yoda
Volunteer tester

Message 2080 - Posted 13 Jan 2007 16:11:28 UTC - in response to Message ID 2077 .

Converting this into credits/WU on Docking@home would be 51.04 credits/WU. In my opinion a value around this would be best. It's in line with other projects and the moderately high amount of credit granted attracts many credit hunters.

In my opinion a figure around 40-45 credits per work unit (of the current size) would be more appropriate, although I'd happily accept more :)

Profile Conan
Volunteer tester

Message 2251 - Posted 20 Jan 2007 7:21:58 UTC

> More Statistics.
Follow up after 5.03 finished and 5.04 started.

DATE____________AVE TIME(H)__ AVE POINTS__AVE POINTS/HOUR
............................. GRANTED/WU
Intel P4 2.53 @2.75 GHz
Up to 28/12/06--8.81 hours----89.00-------10.10 v5.03 (ave 5 wu's)
28/12...9/1/07--8.83 hours----83.11-------9.88 v5.03 (ave 11 wu's)
10/1...20/1/07--3.33 hours----30.94-------9.28 v5.04 (ave 11 wu's)

AMD X2 4800+
Up to 28/12/06--6.24 hours----82.28-------13.18 v5.03
28/12...9/1/07--5.92 hours----81.78-------13.83 v5.03
10/1...20/1/07--2.38 hours----33.44-------14.06 v5.04

AMD Opteron 275
Up to 28/12/06--2.84 hours----27.43-------9.67
28/12...9/1/07--2.86 hours----28.14-------9.84
10/1...20/1/07--2.84 hours----28.25-------9.95

AMD Opteron 285
Up to 28/12/06--2.41 hours----32.38-------13.43
28/12...9/1/07--2.42 hours----27.55-------11.38
10/1...20/1/07--2.41 hours----28.64-------11.88

If you use 1st proposal from Docking of 56.25 per WU then

P4 2.53 computer gives 56.25 per wu / 3.33 H = 16.89 cr/h (E@H=14.81)
AMD 4800+ comp gives 56.25 per wu / 2.38 H = 23.64 cr/h (E@H=21.68)
AMD Opteron 275 gives 56.25 per wu / 2.84 H = 19.81 cr/h (E@H=20.43)
AMD Opteron 285 gives 56.25 per wu / 2.41 H = 23.34 cr/h (E@H=23.96)

With Tom's suggestion of 22.11 per Hour or 51.04 per WU for a 4600+ AMD computer (same speed as my 4800+ just a smaller level 2 cache, I think Tom's is faster than mine, as I don't get 22.11)

P4 2.53 computer gives 51.04 per wu / 3.33 H = 15.33 cr/h
AMD 4800+ comp gives 51.04 per wu / 2.38 H = 21.45 cr/h
AMD Opteron 275 gives 51.04 per wu / 2.84 H = 17.97 cr/h
AMD Opteron 285 gives 51.04 per wu / 2.41 H = 21.18 cr/h

With Webmaster Yoda's 40 to 45 credits per WU

P4 2.53 computer gives 40.00 per wu / 3.33 H = 12.01 cr/h
---------------------- 45.00 per wu / 3.33 H = 13.51 cr/h
AMD 4800+ comp gives 40.00 per wu / 2.38 H = 16.81 cr/h
---------------------- 45.00 per wu / 2.38 H = 18.91 cr/h
AMD Opteron 275 gives 40.00 per wu / 2.84 H = 14.09 cr/h
---------------------- 45.00 per wu / 2.84 H = 15.85 cr/h
AMD Opteron 285 gives 40.00 per wu / 2.41 H = 16.60 cr/h
---------------------- 45.00 per wu / 2.41 H = 18.67 cr/h

> Getting a reasonable match to the higher crediting projects I think I prefer about 50.00 points per WU, giving 15.02 points P4 2.53, 21.00 points AMD 4800+, 17.61 points Opteron 275 and 20.75 points Opteron 285.
This is close to, but less than, what Einstein gives.

The value given should also be based on the science that is done as I don't believe just giving any old cobblestone value gives credit to the amount work done by individual computers.

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2271 - Posted 20 Jan 2007 16:35:18 UTC - in response to Message ID 2251 .

Of course the credit will be different for every workunit we'll distribute; More complex protein-ligand combinations will get more credit (based on the est. FLOPS of a wu).

Thanks for the analysis!
Andre

The value given should also be based on the science that is done as I don't believe just giving any old cobblestone value gives credit to the amount work done by individual computers.

Message 2291 - Posted 21 Jan 2007 22:15:59 UTC - in response to Message ID 2251 .

With Tom's suggestion of 22.11 per Hour or 51.04 per WU for a 4600+ AMD computer (same speed as my 4800+ just a smaller level 2 cache, I think Tom's is faster than mine, as I don't get 22.11)

My CPU is not faster than yours (since it's not overclocked, but I think my RAM makes the difference. (OCZ DDR400 CL2-3-2-5 T1)

Volunteer tester

Message 2417 - Posted 7 Feb 2007 1:14:42 UTC
Last modified: 7 Feb 2007 1:15:00 UTC

Starting with workunit 25683 we are using a fixed credit amount. For the current test workunit (1tng) this is 49.5. Please let us know how much credit/hour this comes out to on your machine. See the news for more info.

Thanks
The D@H Team

j2satx
Volunteer tester

Message 2420 - Posted 7 Feb 2007 14:53:42 UTC - in response to Message ID 2417 .

Starting with workunit 25683 we are using a fixed credit amount. For the current test workunit (1tng) this is 49.5. Please let us know how much credit/hour this comes out to on your machine. See the news for more info.

Thanks
The D@H Team

Can you add the low and high result numbers that are "ready to send" on the Server Status Page to the right of the "results ready to send" number?
Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2426 - Posted 7 Feb 2007 22:53:35 UTC - in response to Message ID 2420 .

This is something Memo can work on as part of the shared memory script he is building to show the HR classes ready to be distributed.

Thanks for the idea!
Andre

Thanks
The D@H Team

Can you add the low and high result numbers that are "ready to send" on the Server Status Page to the right of the "results ready to send" number?

Message 2427 - Posted 8 Feb 2007 10:00:07 UTC

Thank you for brining in fixed credits :). Expect some Core 2 Duo love from Feb 15th when AA5 is over and i move my computers off ABC a bit. I may even throw a little Celeron or two into the mix as well but methinks the poor 700 may struggle but the 2Ghz should do OK.

(retired account)
Volunteer tester

ID: 331
Credit: 158,686
Message 2436 - Posted 8 Feb 2007 21:12:39 UTC - in response to Message ID 2417 .
Last modified: 8 Feb 2007 21:14:08 UTC

Starting with workunit 25683 we are using a fixed credit amount. For the current test workunit (1tng) this is 49.5. Please let us know how much credit/hour this comes out to on your machine.

I compared this fixed value with the credits I got for workunits starting with 19724 so far (for Windows I only took those into account which were calculated with the current application 5.04) and it looks good and quite reasonable to me:

Athlon64 2,0 GHz / Windows (6 results):

average time per workunit: 2 hrs 47 min
average claimed credits: 11.58 per hour
average granted credits: 12.11 per hour
claimed credits w/ new fixed credit scheme would be: 17.76 per hour ( + 53 % )

Athlon XP 2,1 GHz / Windows (8 results):

average time per workunit: 2 hrs 60 min
average claimed credits: 13.02 per hour
average granted credits: 12.01 per hour
claimed credits w/ new fixed credit scheme would be: 16.53 per hour ( + 27 % )

Athlon XP 2,0 GHz / Linux w/ BOINC 5.4.x (8 results):

average time per workunit: 3 hrs 39 min
average claimed credits: 6.46 per hour
average granted credits: 7.24 per hour
claimed credits w/ new fixed credit scheme would be: 13.54 per hour ( + 110 % )

Athlon XP 2,0 GHz / Linux w/ BOINC 5.8.x (57 results):

average time per workunit: 3 hrs 40 min
average claimed credits: 9.02 per hour
average granted credits: 8.66 per hour
claimed credits w/ new fixed credit scheme would be: 13.50 per hour ( + 50 % )

Pentium III 1,0 GHz / Windows (9 results):

average time per workunit: 8 hrs 30 min
average claimed credits: 5.55 per hour
average granted credits: 5.39 per hour
claimed credits w/ new fixed credit scheme would be: 5.83 per hour ( + 5 % )

Celeron 0,466 GHz / Windows (3 results):

average time per workunit: 19 hrs 53 min
average claimed credits: 2.57 per hour
average granted credits: 2.47 per hour
claimed credits w/ new fixed credit scheme would be: 2.49 per hour ( - 3 % )

K6-III 0,4 GHz / Windows (3 results):

average time per workunit: 37 hrs 54 min
average claimed credits: 3.32 per hour
average granted credits: 3.27 per hour
claimed credits w/ new fixed credit scheme would be: 1.31 per hour ( - 61 % )

Cyrix M2 0,25 GHz / Windows (1 result):

average time per workunit: 96 hrs 48 min
average claimed credits: 0.84 per hour
average granted credits: n/a
claimed credits w/ new fixed credit scheme would be: 0.51 per hour ( - 39 % )

Pentium MMX 0,166 GHz / Windows (1 result):

average time per workunit: 95 hrs 43 min
average claimed credits: 1.27 per hour
average granted credits: n/a
claimed credits w/ new fixed credit scheme would be: 0.52 per hour ( - 59 % )

Btw, I'll be offline for the next weeks. See you later!

Best regards

Alex

ID: 115
Credit: 1,634,401
Message 2437 - Posted 8 Feb 2007 22:07:50 UTC - in response to Message ID 2436 .

Thanks for collecting all the great data!

Btw, I'll be offline for the next weeks. See you later!

I hope it isn't something bad.

Regards,

David

Memo
Forum moderator
Project developer
Project tester

Message 2441 - Posted 9 Feb 2007 5:03:08 UTC

Alexander thanks for the analysis. I think that it looks good as only the really old machines will be affected but those are very rare this days specially crunching for a project.

Does anyone has any comments with the gain/loss of credit per hour?

zombie67 [MM]
Volunteer tester

ID: 114
Credit: 2,817,648
Message 2443 - Posted 9 Feb 2007 6:46:21 UTC - in response to Message ID 2441 .

Alexander thanks for the analysis

Agreed!

Just that the sample size here is not enough to make decisions. If it were up to me, I would need ~30 per CPU/OS combo. All with a constant WU.

However, smaller sample sizes are okay so long as further data is collected as results come in, and adjustments made accordingly as we go along.

But that's just my opinion. It's *everyone's* project. =;^)
Volunteer tester

Message 2446 - Posted 9 Feb 2007 13:08:50 UTC - in response to Message ID 2441 .

Alexander thanks for the analysis. I think that it looks good as only the really old machines will be affected but those are very rare this days specially crunching for a project.

Memo, have only processed 2 of the new work units so far on one machine as I still have a number of the older ones to do, will let you know in a few more days.

ID: 123
Credit: 3,279
Message 2447 - Posted 9 Feb 2007 13:10:14 UTC - in response to Message ID 2417 .

Thanks
The D@H Team

With iMac Core Duo at 1.83 Mhz,

16.07 credits per hour (+70%)
Tom Philippart
Volunteer tester

Message 2455 - Posted 11 Feb 2007 21:34:53 UTC
Last modified: 11 Feb 2007 21:42:56 UTC

I updated my small comparison of the projects with my A64 X2 4600+ :

Rene
Volunteer tester

ID: 160
Credit: 109,415
Message 2458 - Posted 12 Feb 2007 6:20:53 UTC - in response to Message ID 2436 .
Last modified: 12 Feb 2007 6:22:04 UTC

<snip>... looks good and quite reasonable to me:

<snip>...
Athlon XP 2,0 GHz / Linux w/ BOINC 5.4.x (8 results):

average time per workunit: 3 hrs 39 min
average claimed credits: 6.46 per hour
average granted credits: 7.24 per hour
claimed credits w/ new fixed credit scheme would be: 13.54 per hour ( + 110 % )

Athlon XP 2,0 GHz / Linux w/ BOINC 5.8.x (57 results):

average time per workunit: 3 hrs 40 min
average claimed credits: 9.02 per hour
average granted credits: 8.66 per hour
claimed credits w/ new fixed credit scheme would be: 13.50 per hour ( + 50 % )
<snip>...

Athlon XP 2600+ @1.9Ghz / Ubuntu 6.10 / BOINC 5.8.2
based on fixed credit approx. 13.20 per hour

Have to agree with Alexander, credit seems OK.

;-)

ID: 343
Credit: 1,669,741
Message 2476 - Posted 14 Feb 2007 14:59:49 UTC
Last modified: 14 Feb 2007 15:21:48 UTC

Please let us know how much credit/hour this comes out to on your machine. See the news for more info.

Based on 10 1tng before and 10 after fixed credit, all crunched on the same Windows XP SP2 Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.86GHz machine, this one .

Before...

Average crunch time : 12020 seconds
Average Claim : 33.92 (10.16 per hour)
Averagr Granted : 32.74 (9.81 per hour)

... after...

Average crunch time : 12138 seconds
Average Claim : 34.45 (10.22 per hour)
Averagr Granted : 49.50 (14.68 per hour)

... 49.6% more with fixed credit.
Memo
Forum moderator
Project developer
Project tester

Message 2489 - Posted 14 Feb 2007 23:01:23 UTC

I guess that everybody is getting more credit, at the same time it seems that we are at about the same as the other projects.

Now I am interested in computers that have no big gain, no gain or even loss of credits/hr

I guess very old machines will suffer from this but I wonder how old a machine needs to be in order to lose credit. Anyone with old machines?

Profile clownius
Volunteer tester

Message 2495 - Posted 15 Feb 2007 2:50:19 UTC - in response to Message ID 2489 .
Last modified: 15 Feb 2007 2:56:42 UTC

I guess that everybody is getting more credit, at the same time it seems that we are at about the same as the other projects.

Now I am interested in computers that have no big gain, no gain or even loss of credits/hr

I guess very old machines will suffer from this but I wonder how old a machine needs to be in order to lose credit. Anyone with old machines?

I have a celery 2Ghz that may qualify and a celery 700 that will most certainly qualify. I don't think my C2D will though lol. I haven't used them on the project for a while but recently started up again so i can only compare things to benchmarks score and any old results left. All are Linux machines though and they suffered the worst credit of anything (My C2D got around 4-6cr/hr/core) so im guessing it will all be upwards movements.

Edit: Im only getting pre fixed credit tasks so i will have some old style WU's to work from and compare to new fixed credit ones. Credit is still lousy lol.
Oh well the sooner we crunch them the sooner i get some new WU's

Message 2499 - Posted 15 Feb 2007 8:33:05 UTC
Last modified: 15 Feb 2007 8:41:38 UTC

we are at about the same as the other projects.

As a side by side comparison, on the same machine...

Docking@Home

Average crunch time : 12020 Seconds (last 10 wu's - old credit system)
Average Claim : 33.92 (10.16 per hour)
Averagr Granted : 32.74 (9.81 per hour)

Average crunch time : 12138 Seconds (first 10 wu's - new credit system)
Average Claim : 34.45 (10.22 per hour)
Averagr Granted : 49.50 (14.68 per hour)

Rosetta@Home

Avergage crunch time : 10355 Seconds (last 10 wu's)
Average claimed : 30.03 (10.43 per hour)
Average granted : 35.31 (12.28 per hour)

SIMAP

Average crunch time : 3006 Seconds (last 3 wu's)
Average claimed : 8.73 (10.45 per hour)
Average granted : 12.94 (15.50 per hour)

Proteins@Home

Average crunch time : 3510 Seconds (last 10 wu's - all new credit system)
Average claimed : 10.15 (10.41 per hour)
Average granted : 10.13 (10.39 per hour)

MalariaControl.net

Average crunch time : 2666 Seconds (last 10 wu's)
Average claimed : 7.70 (10.40 per hour)
Average granted : 7.73 (10.44 per hour)

... SIMAP is a small sample because the older results from this machine have already been deleted.

The other projects are sending a variety of wu's so the standard deviations of their results are much higher then Docking. In some cases wildly more.

In terms of credit granted, the old system made D@H a low value project, the new system, a high value one. This machine does not run any other projects, so further project comparison is statistically dubious.
Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2501 - Posted 15 Feb 2007 14:43:51 UTC - in response to Message ID 2499 .

The other projects are sending a variety of wu's so the standard deviations of their results are much higher then Docking. In some cases wildly more.

In time we will have a wider variety (and thus credits) as well, but until we have fixed most of our pressing app problems, this wouldn't make too much sense. So for now, stuck with the 49.50 per wu!

Thanks
Andre

Message 2502 - Posted 15 Feb 2007 21:37:48 UTC

Understand totally, I was simply pointing out that although crunched on the same machine, the statistical significance of the results is not as black and white as it may first appear.

Just working it out in my head, the small SIMAP sample had an average claim of 8.73, but an SD of over 5!

Profile Conan
Volunteer tester

Message 2574 - Posted 25 Feb 2007 5:15:06 UTC
Last modified: 25 Feb 2007 5:19:40 UTC

@Memo, My oldest machine on this project is an Intel P4 2.53 @2.66 GHz

Intel P4 2.53 @ 2.66 GHz Windows XP

Docking Ave = 9.27 cr/h (old system)
Docking Ave = 14.25 cr/h (new system) +53.72%
Rosetta Ave = 8.29 cr/h
Einstein Ave = 13.73 cr/h

AMD 4800+ Windows XP

Docking Ave = 14.65 cr/h (old system)
Docking Ave = 20.76 cr/h (new system) +41.71%
Rosetta Ave = 13.96 cr/h
Ralph Ave = 14.74 cr/h
Einstein Ave = 23.09 cr/h
QMC Ave = 26.44 cr/h (New Fixed credit system)

AMD Opteron 275 Linux Fedora Core 3

Docking Ave = 11.73 cr/h (old system)
Docking Ave = 17.43 cr/h (new system) +48.59%
Rosetta Ave = 14.30 cr/h
Ralph Ave = 16.51 cr/h
Einstein Ave = 19.75 cr/h
QMC Ave = 25.34 cr/h (New Fixed credit system)
CPDN Ave = 17.76 cr/h
Predictor Ave= 10.30 cr/h

AMD Opteron 285 Linux Fedora Core 3

Docking Ave = 12.50 cr/h (old system)
Docking Ave = 20.54 cr/h (new system) +64.32%
Rosetta Ave = 17.01 cr/h
Ralph Ave = 19.10 cr/h
Einstein Ave = 23.21 cr/h
QMC Ave = 24.61 cr/h (New Fixed credit system)
CPDN Ave = 18.31 cr/h
LHC Ave = 15.39 cr/h

Going on these results I find the new Docking system to be very good and fair, on a par with most projects.
I do not possess a slower machine to see if the credits go negative or only very small increases.
It would be nice if Predictor upped their cobblestone reward system to match others, it is now my most miserly project.

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2577 - Posted 26 Feb 2007 20:51:16 UTC - in response to Message ID 2574 .

Thanks for the detailed data Conan. This shows us that we are probably doing the right thing going to fixed credits. The next thing we will work on is assign extra varariable credit based on how long the volunteer has been supporting D@H. That will give some new twist to credit collecting :-)

Andre

Rosetta Ave = 8.29 cr/h

AMD 4800+ Windows XP

Rosetta Ave = 13.96 cr/h
Ralph Ave = 14.74 cr/h

Rosetta Ave = 14.30 cr/h
Ralph Ave = 16.51 cr/h
CPDN Ave = 17.76 cr/h

Rosetta Ave = 17.01 cr/h
Ralph Ave = 19.10 cr/h
CPDN Ave = 18.31 cr/h
LHC Ave = 15.39 cr/h

Going on these results I find the new Docking system to be very good and fair, on a par with most projects.
I do not possess a slower machine to see if the credits go negative or only very small increases.
It would be nice if Predictor upped their cobblestone reward system to match others, it is now my most miserly project.

Message 2582 - Posted 26 Feb 2007 21:22:23 UTC - in response to Message ID 2577 .

Thanks for the detailed data Conan. This shows us that we are probably doing the right thing going to fixed credits. The next thing we will work on is assign extra varariable credit based on how long the volunteer has been supporting D@H. That will give some new twist to credit collecting :-)

Andre

Rosetta Ave = 8.29 cr/h

AMD 4800+ Windows XP

Rosetta Ave = 13.96 cr/h
Ralph Ave = 14.74 cr/h

Rosetta Ave = 14.30 cr/h
Ralph Ave = 16.51 cr/h
CPDN Ave = 17.76 cr/h

Rosetta Ave = 17.01 cr/h
Ralph Ave = 19.10 cr/h
CPDN Ave = 18.31 cr/h
LHC Ave = 15.39 cr/h

Frequent Cruncher Credits.....
Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2583 - Posted 26 Feb 2007 22:32:25 UTC - in response to Message ID 2582 .
Last modified: 26 Feb 2007 22:32:34 UTC

Frequent Cruncher Credits.....

I like that! :-)

Message boards : Number crunching : New credit system

Database Error
: The MySQL server is running with the --read-only option so it cannot execute this statement
array(3) {
  [0]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(47) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/db_conn.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(97)
    ["function"]=>
    string(8) "do_query"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#71 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(138) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(1) {
      [0]=>
      &string(51) "update DBNAME.thread set views=views+1 where id=141"
    }
  }
  [1]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(48) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/forum_db.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(60)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#71 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(138) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(3) {
      [0]=>
      object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
        ["id"]=>
        string(3) "141"
        ["forum"]=>
        string(1) "2"
        ["owner"]=>
        string(1) "1"
        ["status"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["title"]=>
        string(17) "New credit system"
        ["timestamp"]=>
        string(10) "1172529145"
        ["views"]=>
        string(4) "2497"
        ["replies"]=>
        string(2) "65"
        ["activity"]=>
        string(23) "1.4322761071040998e-123"
        ["sufferers"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["score"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["votes"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["create_time"]=>
        string(10) "1167780199"
        ["hidden"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["sticky"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["locked"]=>
        string(1) "0"
      }
      [1]=>
      &string(6) "thread"
      [2]=>
      &string(13) "views=views+1"
    }
  }
  [2]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(63) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/user/community/forum/thread.php"
    ["line"]=>
    int(184)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(11) "BoincThread"
    ["object"]=>
    object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
      ["id"]=>
      string(3) "141"
      ["forum"]=>
      string(1) "2"