Sort
Profile suguruhirahara
Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

ID: 15
Credit: 56,614
RAC: 0
Message 1761 - Posted 13 Dec 2006 12:43:16 UTC

Though it's low priority with a view of the science, a beutiful screensaver will partly help not only this project to gather many participants, but also the crunchers to understand what's going on their hosts, which means they can be more interested in the science.

Is there a plan to make a screensaver of this project available?

PS since I believe (ie I'm not sure) I questioned this to Andre a couple of months before, I'd like to know whether it has progressed from that time.

thanks,
suguruhirahara

I'm a volunteer participant; my views are not necessarily those of Docking@Home or its participating institutions.

Karina
Volunteer tester

ID: 105
Credit: 255
Message 1764 - Posted 13 Dec 2006 20:46:30 UTC
Last modified: 13 Dec 2006 21:32:10 UTC

Yes suguruhirahara, I have done some progress in the screensaver. So far, I have been looking at the source code to understand how it works so that we can implement a screensaver with our own drawing and logo. Hopefully, a simple screensaver with a shape moving around will be ready by January.

Profile Atomic Booty
Volunteer tester

ID: 23
Credit: 30,370
Message 1765 - Posted 13 Dec 2006 21:06:25 UTC - in response to Message ID 1764 .

Yes suguruhirahara, I have done some progress in the screen saver. So far, I have been looking at the source code to understand how it works so that we can implement a screen saver with our own drawing and logo. Hopefully, a simple screen saver with a shape moving around will be ready by January.

Karina,

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you out with this, whether its for the simple upcoming one in January, or a more complex later version. My graphics programs are at your disposal ;)

Atomic
Volunteer tester

ID: 15
Credit: 56,614
Message 1766 - Posted 14 Dec 2006 5:01:50 UTC - in response to Message ID 1764 .

Yes suguruhirahara, I have done some progress in the screensaver. So far, I have been looking at the source code to understand how it works so that we can implement a screensaver with our own drawing and logo. Hopefully, a simple screensaver with a shape moving around will be ready by January.

I see, thanks for information:) Please keep up the work!

suguruhirahara

I'm a volunteer participant; my views are not necessarily those of Docking@Home or its participating institutions.
Karina
Volunteer tester

ID: 105
Credit: 255
Message 1773 - Posted 14 Dec 2006 23:15:20 UTC
Last modified: 14 Dec 2006 23:15:36 UTC

Thank you Miss Atomic Booty, I appreciate it. It would be a pleasure to work with you again. If I need your expertise later on I let you know.

j2satx
Volunteer tester

ID: 339
Credit: 16,191,581
Message 1909 - Posted 1 Jan 2007 15:14:57 UTC - in response to Message ID 1764 .

I you do this, please make it optional. I do not want my CPU cycles wasted on graphics.

Thank you.
Profile David Ball
Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

ID: 115
Credit: 1,634,401
Message 1911 - Posted 1 Jan 2007 18:30:19 UTC - in response to Message ID 1909 .

I you do this, please make it optional. I do not want my CPU cycles wasted on graphics.

Thank you.

Hi,

On Linux, you can issue the following command from the command line (you should find boinc_cmd in the main BOINC directory).

./boinc_cmd --set_screensaver_mode off 10

The last parameter is referred to as "blank time" and you get an error if you leave it off, even if you're turning screensaver mode off. This will apply to all BOINC projects on that machine.

Happy New Year,

-- David

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

ID: 1
Credit: 15,199
Message 1913 - Posted 1 Jan 2007 22:15:22 UTC - in response to Message ID 1911 .

Karina is working on the windows screensaver right now which will be followed by a mac version. There is a big discussion going on about linux screensavers on the boinc email lists as this seems to be a hard problem to solve. We will work on a linux version later on too though.

Andre

Thank you.

Hi,

On Linux, you can issue the following command from the command line (you should find boinc_cmd in the main BOINC directory).

The last parameter is referred to as "blank time" and you get an error if you leave it off, even if you're turning screensaver mode off. This will apply to all BOINC projects on that machine.

Happy New Year,

-- David

Message 1914 - Posted 1 Jan 2007 23:50:50 UTC - in response to Message ID 1911 .

Thank you.

Hi,

Happy New Year,

-- David

Is there a way to include this in the "run_client" and "run_manager" files?

Thank you.
Profile David Ball
Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

ID: 115
Credit: 1,634,401
Message 1917 - Posted 2 Jan 2007 15:53:05 UTC

I have one Linux machine that I admin from SSH and I used the following run_client file on it.

ulimit -s unlimited
ulimit -a
cd "/home/BOINC"
echo Starting boinc and sleeping for 5 seconds before issuing some commands
./boinc -daemon -redirectio -return_results_immediately
sleep 5
./boinc_cmd --set_screensaver_mode off 15
./boinc_cmd --set_run_mode auto

Since I can't run the BOINC GUI manager on that machine, I don't know if this would cause a problem when the GUI tries to start the BOINC client up. I have to start run_client from the command line on that machine.

-- David

j2satx
Volunteer tester

Message 1920 - Posted 2 Jan 2007 19:18:57 UTC - in response to Message ID 1917 .

I have one Linux machine that I admin from SSH and I used the following run_client file on it.

ulimit -s unlimited
ulimit -a
cd "/home/BOINC"
echo Starting boinc and sleeping for 5 seconds before issuing some commands
./boinc -daemon -redirectio -return_results_immediately
sleep 5
./boinc_cmd --set_screensaver_mode off 15
./boinc_cmd --set_run_mode auto

Since I can't run the BOINC GUI manager on that machine, I don't know if this would cause a problem when the GUI tries to start the BOINC client up. I have to start run_client from the command line on that machine.

-- David

Excellent.......I'm going to give that a try.

I pulled the plug on Rosetta, because their screensaver was crashing my machines, even though I did not specifically run the screensaver.

Thank you.
Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

ID: 1
Credit: 15,199
Message 2985 - Posted 10 Apr 2007 23:47:44 UTC

Just a short update on the screensaver work:
Karina and I are working on testing and integrating the screensaver code tomorrow. I expect to have a graphics release for the windows clients soon. The mac and linux clients will follow suit after that.

Andre

Message boards : Wish list : Screensaver

Database Error
: The MySQL server is running with the --read-only option so it cannot execute this statement
array(3) {
  [0]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(47) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/db_conn.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(97)
    ["function"]=>
    string(8) "do_query"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#17 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(84) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(1) {
      [0]=>
      &string(51) "update DBNAME.thread set views=views+1 where id=126"
    }
  }
  [1]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(48) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/forum_db.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(60)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#17 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(84) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(3) {
      [0]=>
      object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
        ["id"]=>
        string(3) "126"
        ["forum"]=>
        string(1) "9"
        ["owner"]=>
        string(2) "15"
        ["status"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["title"]=>
        string(11) "Screensaver"
        ["timestamp"]=>
        string(10) "1378222345"
        ["views"]=>
        string(4) "1871"
        ["replies"]=>
        string(2) "11"
        ["activity"]=>
        string(19) "4.1880745845132e-22"
        ["sufferers"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["score"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["votes"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["create_time"]=>
        string(10) "1166013796"
        ["hidden"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["sticky"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["locked"]=>
        string(1) "0"
      }
      [1]=>
      &string(6) "thread"
      [2]=>
      &string(13) "views=views+1"
    }
  }
  [2]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(63) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/user/community/forum/thread.php"
    ["line"]=>
    int(184)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(11) "BoincThread"
    ["object"]=>
    object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
      ["id"]=>
      string(3) "126"
      ["forum"]=>
      string(1) "9"