Message boards : Number crunching : Benchmark WU

Sort
j2satx
Volunteer tester

ID: 339
Credit: 16,191,581
RAC: 0
Message 1933 - Posted 3 Jan 2007 23:57:18 UTC

Can D@H provide a "D@H Benchmark WU" (similar to the "old SETI Classic") to be run through the BOINC Client?

It would be helpful to measure the result with different CPU/RAM/OS configurations to determine the optimum (affordable) system to crunch D@H.

Thank you.

Profile Webmaster Yoda
Volunteer tester

ID: 271
Credit: 6,498
Message 1959 - Posted 6 Jan 2007 3:18:43 UTC - in response to Message ID 1933 .

Can D@H provide a "D@H Benchmark WU" (similar to the "old SETI Classic") to be run through the BOINC Client?

I don't speak for the project, being just a volunteer myself, but as I understand it, the current work units are all the same length (it was mentioned in one of the earlier threads, but I can't find which one) so in effect any WU you run can be compared to another.

Someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

Join the #1 Aussie Alliance on Docking@Home
Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

ID: 1
Credit: 15,199
Message 1960 - Posted 6 Jan 2007 4:32:41 UTC - in response to Message ID 1959 .

Yoda is correct. All the current test WUs are the same and even have the same seed starting from WU id 19724, so they can be compared very easily. This is done to make the problem of solving our architectural differences results a little bit easier (but still hard enough unfortunately).

Thanks
Andre

I don't speak for the project, being just a volunteer myself, but as I understand it, the current work units are all the same length (it was mentioned in one of the earlier threads, but I can't find which one) so in effect any WU you run can be compared to another.

Message 1963 - Posted 6 Jan 2007 5:12:24 UTC - in response to Message ID 1959 .

I'd like a Benchmark WU, to run at will, like the one available during SETI Classic.

Is it possible to copy one of the new D@H WUs to be run at anytime?

Thank you.
Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

ID: 1
Credit: 15,199
Message 1966 - Posted 6 Jan 2007 20:13:43 UTC - in response to Message ID 1963 .

I don't know if the boinc client would be able to do such a thing.

Andre

I'd like a Benchmark WU, to run at will, like the one available during SETI Classic.

Thank you.

Message 1968 - Posted 6 Jan 2007 20:43:59 UTC - in response to Message ID 1966 .

Andre

Thank you.

Thanks for the response. I'll look into the possibility.
Memo
Forum moderator
Project developer
Project tester

ID: 14
Credit: 1,666,392
Message 1978 - Posted 8 Jan 2007 0:49:02 UTC - in response to Message ID 1966 .

Andre

Thank you.

and I dont think it is possible to launch the app without boinc.
zombie67 [MM]
Volunteer tester

ID: 114
Credit: 2,817,648
Message 1979 - Posted 8 Jan 2007 2:46:18 UTC

The folks who build the windows and linux optimized applications for SETI@home have figured out a way. They even built it into a tool that you run on your host. They have a short, medium, and long WU. You pick which one you want to run (longer = more accurate analysis), it then runs the WU with MMX, then SSE, then SSE2, etc. After it is complete, it recommends the best optimized app for your particular machine, and then will even install it with a click of a button. Very slick!

Their tool can be downloaded from lunatics.at.

Profile clownius
Volunteer tester

ID: 280
Credit: 2,677
Message 1981 - Posted 8 Jan 2007 5:56:40 UTC
Last modified: 8 Jan 2007 5:59:16 UTC

Actually that tool is not from the people at seti@home its done by chicken who runs lunatics.at and other assorted people who do it and create the optimizations in their own spare time ;-)
I actually tried to do an optimized seti app for Core 2 Duo's on Linux for them but had little luck.
The seti app is open source and optimizations are encouraged. Heck its not like they have much chance of finding anything lol.

zombie67 [MM]
Volunteer tester

ID: 114
Credit: 2,817,648
Message 1982 - Posted 8 Jan 2007 6:17:15 UTC - in response to Message ID 1981 .

Actually that tool is not from the people at seti@home its done by chicken who runs lunatics.at and other assorted people who do it and create the optimizations in their own spare time ;-)

Yes. That is what I said.

Volunteer tester

Message 1983 - Posted 8 Jan 2007 14:13:14 UTC - in response to Message ID 1979 .
Last modified: 8 Jan 2007 14:14:50 UTC

The folks who build the windows and linux optimized applications for SETI@home have figured out a way. They even built it into a tool that you run on your host. They have a short, medium, and long WU. You pick which one you want to run (longer = more accurate analysis), it then runs the WU with MMX, then SSE, then SSE2, etc. After it is complete, it recommends the best optimized app for your particular machine, and then will even install it with a click of a button. Very slick!

Their tool can be downloaded from lunatics.at.

@zombie67

Thanks for the response. I'll talk to the "optimizers" just to find out how (if it is possible) to just run a fixed length WU whenever I want. I only want to be able to find the best (economical too) hardware and RAM combinations to run the quickest WUs for the projects I am interested. I do not run optimized clients and only want to run 100% BOINC software.

You were running 6.06 before.......did you choose LTS and decide not to move up to 6.10?
Profile clownius
Volunteer tester

Message 1988 - Posted 9 Jan 2007 2:21:33 UTC

Off topic
Ive had issues with 6.10 mainly arts but im actually on 6.10 now. its a bit of a mess install. I have way to many local packages (i cant remove them or it wants to remove 30 other things i need) and cant get the Intel compiler to install properly. Maybe next time im bored ill consider a fresh install but at the moment the computers still waiting on a SATA DVD burner to come in and i have stuff i cant rescue off the HDD until it arrives.
Ill have another go at the seti optimized for Linux Core 2 Duo when i have the hardware right.

Back on topic
To have a benchmark unit. Compare different option heres my suggestion.
Backup your BOINC folder with one of these WU's in it.
Install boinc on all these machines.
Replace the boinc folder that gets created on install with the backup one.
Use that backup of the BOINC folder to process the WU on different systems and compare the run times.

One thing to make shure of though. Don't let the computers you are testing on have Internet access or they will try and report or dump the WU cause its late and they have more to do or something.

Profile Webmaster Yoda
Volunteer tester

ID: 271
Credit: 6,498
Message 1989 - Posted 9 Jan 2007 5:50:43 UTC - in response to Message ID 1988 .
Last modified: 9 Jan 2007 5:51:22 UTC

Use that backup of the BOINC folder to process the WU on different systems and compare the run times.

No need to do that at the moment as all WU are the same length. Just attach all the computers to Docking@Home and let them crunch a work unit or two or ten or...! That's more useful to the project too (why waste the CPU power).

Join the #1 Aussie Alliance on Docking@Home
j2satx
Volunteer tester

Message 1994 - Posted 9 Jan 2007 12:26:22 UTC - in response to Message ID 1989 .

No need to do that at the moment as all WU are the same length. Just attach all the computers to Docking@Home and let them crunch a work unit or two or ten or...! That's more useful to the project too (why waste the CPU power).

The same length WUs won't last indefinitely.
j2satx
Volunteer tester

Message 1995 - Posted 9 Jan 2007 12:32:09 UTC - in response to Message ID 1988 .

Back on topic

One thing to make shure of though. Don't let the computers you are testing on have Internet access or they will try and report or dump the WU cause its late and they have more to do or something.

I basically did what you have suggested. I copied the files I needed from another computer and am running that as a benchmark, with the network disconnected. It's on a slow CPU, so is only 60% done now, but it appears so far like it will complete normally and five me the completion time I am looking for.

When I know I have one of the "same length" WUs, I'll just keep copies of it to use for my benchmark when I want to build a new configuration or test a different configuration.
(retired account)
Volunteer tester

ID: 331
Credit: 158,686
Message 1998 - Posted 9 Jan 2007 12:46:55 UTC - in response to Message ID 1988 .

and cant get the Intel compiler to install properly.

Installing the Intel compiler on Ubuntu 6.10 is really a mess. I wanted to install it to build my own SETI@home opt. app from Simon's sources (just for fun). After changing the installation scripts it actually worked but then I was stuck at the installation of the IPP math librariers and until now I haven't found a way to install those.

The main problem is the use of dash instead of bash in Ubuntu 6.10. You could either change the default interpreter (which I did not, because I feared it would mess up other things) or you could make some changes to the installation scripts included in the Intel compiler packages. Another thing needed is the use of 'alien' for the installation of the rpm packages, which can also be changed in the scripts.

If you follow this thread in the Ubuntu support forum concerning installation of the Intel Fortran compiler, you should be able to install also the Intel C++ compiler by making similar changes to the scripts. At least it worked for me and I am neither a Linux guru nor an expert in compilers.

Hope this helps. If you find any solution to the installation problems of the IPP package, I would be grateful if you would share you findings. I also started a thread in the Ubuntu forum (without any response so far, however).

The versions I tried to install are:

Intel C++ compiler for linux v. 9.1.045
Intel IPP libraries v. 5.1.1.005

(These are freely availabe after a registration, so these are not the most current ones.)

In the meantime I also downloaded the IPP beta version 5.2.011, but until now I did not have the time to try another install.

Regards

Alex

Message 1999 - Posted 9 Jan 2007 14:18:56 UTC

As i said once i get all my valuable data off this disk ill start risking really messing with the system lol. Ive learnt the hard way to back-up first before i play :D
Thanks for the links ill look into that too. Im fairly certain i fixed the bash issue already but ill have to double check. If i find a solution rest assured i report it so others know how it can be fixed.

Message boards : Number crunching : Benchmark WU

Database Error
: The MySQL server is running with the --read-only option so it cannot execute this statement
array(3) {
  [0]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(47) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/db_conn.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(97)
    ["function"]=>
    string(8) "do_query"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#22 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(90) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(1) {
      [0]=>
      &string(51) "update DBNAME.thread set views=views+1 where id=142"
    }
  }
  [1]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(48) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/forum_db.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(60)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#22 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(90) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(3) {
      [0]=>
      object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
        ["id"]=>
        string(3) "142"
        ["forum"]=>
        string(1) "2"
        ["owner"]=>
        string(3) "339"
        ["status"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["title"]=>
        string(12) "Benchmark WU"
        ["timestamp"]=>
        string(10) "1168352336"
        ["views"]=>
        string(4) "1089"
        ["replies"]=>
        string(2) "16"
        ["activity"]=>
        string(20) "2.1091531108561e-125"
        ["sufferers"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["score"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["votes"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["create_time"]=>
        string(10) "1167868638"
        ["hidden"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["sticky"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["locked"]=>
        string(1) "0"
      }
      [1]=>
      &string(6) "thread"
      [2]=>
      &string(13) "views=views+1"
    }
  }
  [2]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(63) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/user/community/forum/thread.php"
    ["line"]=>
    int(184)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(11) "BoincThread"
    ["object"]=>
    object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
      ["id"]=>
      string(3) "142"
      ["forum"]=>
      string(1) "2"