Advanced search

Message boards : Number crunching : Can't attach

Sort
Profile Paul D. Buck

ID: 419
Credit: 354,387
RAC: 0
Message 4698 - Posted 13 Jan 2009 3:36:35 UTC

Anyone else having problems attaching a new computer?

Looks like the get_project_config.php is missing ... or corrupted ...

Profile Trilce Estrada
Forum moderator
Project administrator
Project developer
Project tester

ID: 119
Credit: 1,217,236
Message 4708 - Posted 13 Jan 2009 19:23:31 UTC

Hi Paul,

Indeed, something is not working properly. I'm working on that issue, I'll let you know when it's solved

Thank you for noticing

Profile Paul D. Buck

Message 4710 - Posted 13 Jan 2009 22:39:18 UTC

Well, if you renamed or moved that file ... when the participant tries to attach, they cannot, because that file is the one that describes the project to BOINC Manager ...

Ah, the downside to making major changes ... :)

Profile Trilce Estrada
Forum moderator
Project administrator
Project developer
Project tester

Message 4718 - Posted 14 Jan 2009 17:37:38 UTC - in response to Message ID 4710 .

Hi Paul,

It was an error of inconsistency and missing files. Brian and Michela solved the problem and now you should be able to attach to the project

Thank you

Profile Paul D. Buck

Message 4719 - Posted 14 Jan 2009 18:50:53 UTC - in response to Message ID 4718 .

Hi Paul,

It was an error of inconsistency and missing files. Brian and Michela solved the problem and now you should be able to attach to the project

Thank you

Thanks ...

It looks like the systems are now attached ... at least none are pending attachment anymore and I cannot remember which one was pending ... :)

Anyway ... thanks ...

ID: 1040
Credit: 211,081
Message 4724 - Posted 15 Jan 2009 3:06:35 UTC - in response to Message ID 4719 .

Hi Paul,

Thank you

Thanks ...

It looks like the systems are now attached ... at least none are pending attachment anymore and I cannot remember which one was pending ... :)

Anyway ... thanks ...

I have at least one person on my team who states that this problem has not been corrected as they cannot attach to docking. They've made the attempt with three different computers, and asked someone to post it here as they don't have an account here yet.

Cheers,

Yankton
Profile Paul D. Buck

Message 4725 - Posted 15 Jan 2009 3:11:40 UTC - in response to Message ID 4724 .

I have at least one person on my team who states that this problem has not been corrected as they cannot attach to docking. They've made the attempt with three different computers, and asked someone to post it here as they don't have an account here yet.

Cheers,

Yankton

If they are new attempting to attach ... that might be a different problem. Do they have messages in the messages pane?

My computer only needed to fetch one page/file but I think if you are new, there are more things that need to happen, and a page you need to be directed to ... if they moved or renamed THAT page, well, they cannot create an account and sign in ...

A work-around to try is to have them create the account first (if I have correctly identified THEIR issue) on the site, then try to attach as an existing user ... it is a different path ...

Anyway, something may still be broken ...

ID: 1040
Credit: 211,081
Message 4727 - Posted 15 Jan 2009 13:13:59 UTC - in response to Message ID 4725 .

Cheers,

Yankton

If they are new attempting to attach ... that might be a different problem. Do they have messages in the messages pane?

My computer only needed to fetch one page/file but I think if you are new, there are more things that need to happen, and a page you need to be directed to ... if they moved or renamed THAT page, well, they cannot create an account and sign in ...

A work-around to try is to have them create the account first (if I have correctly identified THEIR issue) on the site, then try to attach as an existing user ... it is a different path ...

Anyway, something may still be broken ...

Ok,

They posted again. The message pane says "This project doesn't accept new members" Also stated that attempting to create an account on the site first doesn't work, it's apparently asking for an invitation code.

Cheers,

Yankton
Profile Paul D. Buck

Message 4728 - Posted 15 Jan 2009 15:52:09 UTC - in response to Message ID 4727 .

They posted again. The message pane says "This project doesn't accept new members" Also stated that attempting to create an account on the site first doesn't work, it's apparently asking for an invitation code.

Cheers,

Yankton

Ah, then the project is actually closed, still, I had forgotten that ...

That is one of the issues I discussed on the BOINC Dev forum in relationship to the Account Managers and joining projects. And that the lists of projects should make more clear which ones can actually be joined. For example Chess is likewise closed but still shows up in the list of projects to attach to ...

The web page is also misleading in that the statement:

NOTE: If you use BOINC version 5.2+ with the BOINC Manager, don't use this form. Just run BOINC, select Attach Project, and enter an email address and password.

makes one think that it is possible to join if only you attach through BOINC Manager.

One of the problems with some projects is that they know that they have limited work and that a small group of participants may be sufficient to their needs. LHC was in this situation but later opened to be fully available. The problem is that many participants chafe under the inability to get work ...

At any rate, in cases such as this, I like a reservation list where people can sign up and if they need more people they get invited in the order in which they applied ... avoids "gold rushes" if and when they open the system ...
Project developer
Project tester

Message 4732 - Posted 16 Jan 2009 16:35:59 UTC

Hi Paul and Yankton,

In the process of changing websites and looking for bugs the creation of accounts was closed, I'm sorry about that. It is open now and your friends can join.

Let me know if you have more problems. I'm a little slow answering the forums because we have a deadline, but I'll try to check more often

Thank you

Trilce

Profile Paul D. Buck

Message 4733 - Posted 16 Jan 2009 16:49:18 UTC - in response to Message ID 4732 .

Hi Paul and Yankton,

In the process of changing websites and looking for bugs the creation of accounts was closed, I'm sorry about that. It is open now and your friends can join.

Let me know if you have more problems. I'm a little slow answering the forums because we have a deadline, but I'll try to check more often

Thank you

Trilce

Thanks ...

Most of us take most of this in stride.

My suggestion is to make it part of daily schedule and ONLY do it once a day ... otherwise you can get sucked into spending lots of time here ... but a quick scan daily catches the issues as they come up ... and won't impact your schedule.

My bosses hated it, but I did the same thing with phone calls and the messages left on voice mail and e-mail ... I checked once daily ... if they wanted me more than that, they had to come get me ...

ID: 392
Credit: 0
Message 4747 - Posted 18 Jan 2009 2:29:46 UTC

I agree with you =) it is very time demanding

Message boards : Number crunching : Can't attach

Database Error
: The MySQL server is running with the --read-only option so it cannot execute this statement
array(3) {
  [0]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(47) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/db_conn.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(97)
    ["function"]=>
    string(8) "do_query"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#17 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(72) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(1) {
      [0]=>
      &string(51) "update DBNAME.thread set views=views+1 where id=382"
    }
  }
  [1]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(48) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/forum_db.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(60)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#17 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(72) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(3) {
      [0]=>
      object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
        ["id"]=>
        string(3) "382"
        ["forum"]=>
        string(1) "2"
        ["owner"]=>
        string(3) "419"
        ["status"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["title"]=>
        string(12) "Can't attach"
        ["timestamp"]=>
        string(10) "1232245786"
        ["views"]=>
        string(3) "232"
        ["replies"]=>
        string(2) "11"
        ["activity"]=>
        string(19) "8.4354755121622e-94"
        ["sufferers"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["score"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["votes"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["create_time"]=>
        string(10) "1231817795"
        ["hidden"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["sticky"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["locked"]=>
        string(1) "0"
      }
      [1]=>
      &string(6) "thread"
      [2]=>
      &string(13) "views=views+1"
    }
  }
  [2]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(63) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/user/community/forum/thread.php"
    ["line"]=>
    int(184)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(11) "BoincThread"
    ["object"]=>
    object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
      ["id"]=>
      string(3) "382"
      ["forum"]=>
      string(1) "2"