j2satx
Volunteer tester

ID: 339
Credit: 16,191,581
RAC: 0
Message 1997 - Posted 9 Jan 2007 12:46:51 UTC

@clownius

Off topic
Ive had issues with 6.10 mainly arts but im actually on 6.10 now. its a bit of a mess install. I have way to many local packages (i cant remove them or it wants to remove 30 other things i need) and cant get the Intel compiler to install properly. Maybe next time im bored ill consider a fresh install but at the moment the computers still waiting on a SATA DVD burner to come in and i have stuff i cant rescue off the HDD until it arrives.
Ill have another go at the seti optimized for Linux Core 2 Duo when i have the hardware right.

I'm really new at the Linux thing, but I tried a dozen packages and found the Ubuntu family to be the easiest for me to install and configure and it seems to have what I need to interface with Windows. I haven't found a GUI interface yet to use on my Windows machines to work with the Linux machines. I have my Linux machines on KVMs so far, but that only helps me "locally" when I'm out in the computer room.

Profile clownius
Volunteer tester

ID: 280
Credit: 2,677
Message 2020 - Posted 10 Jan 2007 2:30:49 UTC

Im told RealVNC has a good free version.
Boincview can also be used to monitor Linux boxes as well as Windoze ones.
My only windoze machine these days is the one i have setup (and paid for) for my little sister to use so i dont have much interaction with windoze machines and as such no little about the options other than what i have heard.

Profile Trog Dog
Volunteer tester

ID: 279
Credit: 145,805
Message 2028 - Posted 10 Jan 2007 13:26:00 UTC - in response to Message ID 1997 .

@clownius

Off topic
Ive had issues with 6.10 mainly arts but im actually on 6.10 now. its a bit of a mess install. I have way to many local packages (i cant remove them or it wants to remove 30 other things i need) and cant get the Intel compiler to install properly. Maybe next time im bored ill consider a fresh install but at the moment the computers still waiting on a SATA DVD burner to come in and i have stuff i cant rescue off the HDD until it arrives.
Ill have another go at the seti optimized for Linux Core 2 Duo when i have the hardware right.

I'm really new at the Linux thing, but I tried a dozen packages and found the Ubuntu family to be the easiest for me to install and configure and it seems to have what I need to interface with Windows. I haven't found a GUI interface yet to use on my Windows machines to work with the Linux machines. I have my Linux machines on KVMs so far, but that only helps me "locally" when I'm out in the computer room.

If you enable desktop sharing in gnome then you can use a vnc viewer as clownius suggested to control your linux boxes.
j2satx
Volunteer tester

Message 2030 - Posted 10 Jan 2007 16:03:24 UTC - in response to Message ID 2020 .

Im told RealVNC has a good free version.
Boincview can also be used to monitor Linux boxes as well as Windoze ones.
My only windoze machine these days is the one i have setup (and paid for) for my little sister to use so i dont have much interaction with windoze machines and as such no little about the options other than what i have heard.

I'll try this again. I didn't get it to work the first time I tried and since it was a couple of weeks and 20 or 30 computer issues ago, I don't remember why it didn't work.

Thanks.
j2satx
Volunteer tester

Message 2031 - Posted 10 Jan 2007 16:10:19 UTC - in response to Message ID 2028 .

@clownius

Off topic

If you enable desktop sharing in gnome then you can use a vnc viewer as clownius suggested to control your linux boxes.

I have desktop sharing enabled, but I had problems with various VNC Viewers. I'll try again. I tried Cygwin and was thinking about Xming. They're too "UX" technical for me.

I been using WinSCP to move files around, but want to be able to start/stop BOINC and start/stop the Linux computers from a remote Windows machine using a GUI interface.

Thanks.
Profile clownius
Volunteer tester

Message 2032 - Posted 10 Jan 2007 16:59:34 UTC

Are we talking on the same physical network or really remotely (across the net)?

j2satx
Volunteer tester

Message 2037 - Posted 10 Jan 2007 21:37:41 UTC - in response to Message ID 2032 .
Last modified: 10 Jan 2007 21:40:11 UTC

Are we talking on the same physical network or really remotely (across the net)?

Same physical network. I have an office in the house with cable modem (active DSL backup) and router. Five Windows computers in the office on small switch with CAT5 cable that runs to computer room in garage. The BOINC computers (seven Windows, five Linux) are in the computer room. All on 192.168.2.n IP Addresses.

The Windows computers all have pcAnywhere and the Linux all have SSH and Samba active. Eleven computers in the computer room are on two cascaded KVMs. The one Windows computer I use to "manage" the farm is not on KVM.
Profile clownius
Volunteer tester

Message 2039 - Posted 11 Jan 2007 2:54:07 UTC

Boincview is what you need then :) Runs on windoze but can monitor Linux computers just as easily as it can windoze ones.
Don't use it myself so don't have a link but im shure someone around here does.

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

ID: 1
Credit: 15,199
Message 2042 - Posted 11 Jan 2007 4:08:09 UTC - in response to Message ID 2039 .

http://boincview.amanheis.de/

Boincview is what you need then :) Runs on windoze but can monitor Linux computers just as easily as it can windoze ones.

Message 2046 - Posted 11 Jan 2007 14:48:40 UTC - in response to Message ID 2039 .

I use Boincview to manage BOINC. I need the other GUI to manager the hardware.......starting/stopping the computer, upgrading OS or anti-virus, etc.

(retired account)
Volunteer tester

ID: 331
Credit: 158,686
Message 2047 - Posted 11 Jan 2007 15:25:04 UTC - in response to Message ID 2046 .

I need the other GUI to manager the hardware.......starting/stopping the computer, upgrading OS or anti-virus, etc.

I understand that you would prefer GUI access, but some of these tasks could also be done on the command line interface with PuTTY for example:

PuTTY homepage

Regards

Alex

Message 2048 - Posted 11 Jan 2007 15:42:30 UTC - in response to Message ID 2047 .

I need the other GUI to manager the hardware.......starting/stopping the computer, upgrading OS or anti-virus, etc.

I understand that you would prefer GUI access, but some of these tasks could also be done on the command line interface with PuTTY for example:

PuTTY homepage

Regards

Alex

I have PuTTY on the two Windows machines I use to manage things and SSH is open on all the Linux boxes. I'm not anywhere good enough with Linux to know how to do everything (anything is probably more accurate) from the command line. I have learned how to fumble around with the GUI (locally), so if I have that available, I can keep the Linux boxes going.
Profile David Ball
Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

ID: 115
Credit: 1,634,401
Message 2198 - Posted 18 Jan 2007 0:02:14 UTC

Hi,

Since this thread is about Ubuntu 6.10 and I'm planning on switching my fedora core 3 box to that, I thought I'd ask if there were any special problems I should be aware of. This will be a clean install with a newly formatted disk. Fortunately, I have an install DVD from a magazine. I'm just barely too far from town to get DSL, and Charter cable doesn't have broadband here, so I'm stuck on 56k dial-up. Downloading ISO images is not an option :-(

BTW, which version of the boinc client do you end up with if you get it from the yum repository for Ubuntu. We had a Debian fan who mentioned that there was a version customized for Debian and Ubuntu, but I haven't noticed a post by her since mid December, when she said she was taking finals. It's a shame because Daniela (not sure I spelled that right) was very helpful to Linux people in these message boards.

TIA,

-- David

BobCat13
Volunteer tester

ID: 239
Credit: 285,322
Message 2199 - Posted 18 Jan 2007 2:23:39 UTC - in response to Message ID 2198 .

I think Ubuntu 6.10 uses the source of BOINC 5.4.11 for it's compiled versions. Here's the URL that lists the client version for Edgy Eft:

http://packages.ubuntulinux.org/edgy/net/boinc-client

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2200 - Posted 18 Jan 2007 3:09:09 UTC - in response to Message ID 2198 .

If I remember correctly his name was Daniele from somewhere in Italy. And you're right he said he had to prepare for exams; hope they went okay so he can come back and help out :-)

Cheers
Andre

PS It's great to be in alpha test with a limited number of people: I have the feeling I know everybody!

We had a Debian fan who mentioned that there was a version customized for Debian and Ubuntu, but I haven't noticed a post by her since mid December, when she said she was taking finals. It's a shame because Daniela (not sure I spelled that right) was very helpful to Linux people in these message boards.

TIA,

-- David

ID: 160
Credit: 109,415
Message 2204 - Posted 18 Jan 2007 6:23:54 UTC
Last modified: 18 Jan 2007 6:39:37 UTC

@David

5.4.11 can de an option to use, you can use the "yum" version or, if you prefer setting it up in your local (home) folders, the berkeley build.

But... because of the improved GUI and benchmark I would "pick" the 5.8.2 version .
I'm also using this version and have seen no problems.
(there is a 5.8.3 version at this moment, but can't give any comments on that, haven't installed it at this moment)

;-)

Profile Webmaster Yoda
Volunteer tester

ID: 271
Credit: 6,498
Message 2207 - Posted 18 Jan 2007 7:22:06 UTC
Last modified: 18 Jan 2007 7:23:23 UTC

I'm running Ubuntu 6.10 on my main machine now - used to be Windows Server but I got sick of waiting 20 minutes for it to start up and didn't have a spare licence for Windows XP.

Main problem I had with the Ubuntu setup was the lack of drivers for my wireless network card. Took hours to find one that would work, but eventually found one that worked. Other than that, I can't recall any real problems (and I'm a n00b when it comes to Linux).

BOINC 5.4.11 came as a package. I have since upgraded to 5.8.2 (Development version) which was a bit tricky as the packaged install had put files in several directories.

I miss some Windows programs but am using BIONCView (running under Wine) to monitor my BOINC installations and can connect to a Windows PC via Remote Desktop when I need programs like Fireworks and Dreamweaver. I have not yet been able to connect in the other direction (operating my Linux box from a Windows one) but will get there eventually ;D

Join the #1 Aussie Alliance on Docking@Home

j2satx
Volunteer tester

Message 2211 - Posted 18 Jan 2007 14:34:19 UTC - in response to Message ID 2198 .

Hi,

Since this thread is about Ubuntu 6.10 and I'm planning on switching my fedora core 3 box to that, I thought I'd ask if there were any special problems I should be aware of. This will be a clean install with a newly formatted disk. Fortunately, I have an install DVD from a magazine. I'm just barely too far from town to get DSL, and Charter cable doesn't have broadband here, so I'm stuck on 56k dial-up. Downloading ISO images is not an option :-(

BTW, which version of the boinc client do you end up with if you get it from the yum repository for Ubuntu. We had a Debian fan who mentioned that there was a version customized for Debian and Ubuntu, but I haven't noticed a post by her since mid December, when she said she was taking finals. It's a shame because Daniela (not sure I spelled that right) was very helpful to Linux people in these message boards.

TIA,

-- David

I found it to be easy to install BOINC from the Berkeley URL. You also won't have to wait for someone to put new versions in a repository before you can upgrade them.
Profile David Ball
Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

Message 2212 - Posted 18 Jan 2007 19:30:15 UTC

Thanks for all the great info, everyone. I think I'm going to go with getting the program directly from boinc.berkeley.edu so I can control which version of BOINC I use. BTW, Matt LaPlante posted an init script on the BOINC core client forum for running the standard client as a service on Ubuntu.

Thanks,

-- David

j2satx
Volunteer tester

Message 2214 - Posted 18 Jan 2007 20:46:47 UTC - in response to Message ID 2212 .

Thanks for all the great info, everyone. I think I'm going to go with getting the program directly from boinc.berkeley.edu so I can control which version of BOINC I use. BTW, Matt LaPlante posted an init script on the BOINC core client forum for running the standard client as a service on Ubuntu.

Thanks,

-- David

Will that script take care of the ulimit issue with Ubuntu?
(retired account)
Volunteer tester

Message 2215 - Posted 18 Jan 2007 21:19:50 UTC - in response to Message ID 2214 .
Last modified: 18 Jan 2007 21:21:34 UTC

No, I don't think so. But if you add "ulimit -s unlimited" as a separate line after the intial comments (lines with #), it should do the job, I guess.

I use the run_manager script (currently with BM 5.8.1) instead and have added the ulimit fix (and the browser path) there, however.

Regards

Alex

Message 2218 - Posted 18 Jan 2007 21:29:15 UTC - in response to Message ID 2215 .

[quote]

No, I don't think so. But if you add "ulimit -s unlimited" as a separate line after the intial comments (lines with #), it should do the job, I guess.

I use the run_manager script (currently with BM 5.8.1) instead and have added the ulimit fix (and the browser path) there, however.

Regards

Alex

My results during the HR tests
j2satx
Volunteer tester

Message 2219 - Posted 18 Jan 2007 22:33:27 UTC - in response to Message ID 2215 .

Regards

Alex

Do you mean you run BOINC on your computers from the manager, rather than directly from the client?
Profile clownius
Volunteer tester

Message 2224 - Posted 19 Jan 2007 8:26:41 UTC

I have 3 Kubuntu 6.10 and 6.06.1 machines. im happy to help out where i can. If you install the 5.4.11 from the debian repositories upgrading to 5.8.3 is as simple as copy and pasting 3 files.

Download 5.8.3 from the BOINC site.
Run the sh file in your home directory.
Open the folder it creates called BOINC
Rename the bin file named boinc to boinc_client
Stop boinc
Copy all 3 bin files (boinc_client, boincmgr and boinc_cmd) to /usr/bin/
Start boinc again

You will now be using BOINC 5.8.3 but will still have the autostart and stop files etc.

The file you need to modify for the ulimit is
/etc/init.d/boinc-client
Just add the "ulimit -s unlimited" to a new line at the top of the file and save it. After that no more docking problems.

Note: to modify a few of these directories you will need to be logged in as root or use sudo before the normal commands.

BobCat13
Volunteer tester

ID: 239
Credit: 285,322
Message 2229 - Posted 19 Jan 2007 16:34:22 UTC - in response to Message ID 2224 .

Download 5.8.3 from the BOINC site.
Run the sh file in your home directory.
Open the folder it creates called BOINC
Rename the bin file named boinc to boinc_client
Stop boinc
Copy all 3 bin files (boinc_client, boincmgr and boinc_cmd) to /usr/bin/
Start boinc again

Actually, you don't have to copy those 3 files to /usr/bin/

• Run the sh file in your home directory.
  • Stop boinc
  • Edit /etc/default/boinc-client and comment out (#) the reference to the boinc_client in /usr/bin/, then add an entry pointing to boinc in your home directory.
  • Start boinc

This allows the advantage of switching back to the bin files in /usr/bin/ if you have problems with the newer version.

(retired account)
Volunteer tester

Message 2236 - Posted 20 Jan 2007 1:47:20 UTC - in response to Message ID 2219 .

Do you mean you run BOINC on your computers from the manager, rather than directly from the client?

Yes, indeed. Can't see any significant impact on performance. Do you expect any disadvantages?

Regards

Alex
Profile clownius
Volunteer tester

Message 2238 - Posted 20 Jan 2007 4:09:10 UTC

Thanks bobcat i just prefer to keep everything where i found it lol. Im generally a neat and tidy person lol.
The manager doesn't really run boinc but more connects to the boinc client running in the background. Depending on the speed of your computer if you leave the manager open while the client runs you will use 0.5-4% of CPU time on the manager. Note this is averaged out over time.

j2satx
Volunteer tester

Message 2239 - Posted 20 Jan 2007 4:09:36 UTC - in response to Message ID 2236 .

Yes, indeed. Can't see any significant impact on performance. Do you expect any disadvantages?

Regards

Alex

There is a performance impact. I'm not experienced enough yet with running BOINC on Linux to know how much impact. I'll attempt to get some numbers. Previously, many Windows users found that running the client under the manager cost several percent of the CPU and BoincView cost even more if run continuously.

I can see the performance monitor in Ubuntu takes 2 or more percent, but I have not tested the manager up to this point. I settled on Ubuntu over Kubuntu as KDE interface seemed to consume more resources than the Gnome interface.

I learned to run BOINC from the client and then just run the manager for a GUI interface to change something.

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2242 - Posted 20 Jan 2007 4:17:28 UTC - in response to Message ID 2239 .

If you are only going to run the commandline client, you might as well get rid of the gui alltogether. Just boot into init level 3 (no gui) instead of 5 (gui). This will save you quite a bit of memory and cpu cycles.

Cheers
Andre

I can see the performance monitor in Ubuntu takes 2 or more percent, but I have not tested the manager up to this point. I settled on Ubuntu over Kubuntu as KDE interface seemed to consume more resources than the Gnome interface.

I learned to run BOINC from the client and then just run the manager for a GUI interface to change something.

Message 2246 - Posted 20 Jan 2007 4:30:26 UTC - in response to Message ID 2242 .

If you are only going to run the commandline client, you might as well get rid of the gui alltogether. Just boot into init level 3 (no gui) instead of 5 (gui). This will save you quite a bit of memory and cpu cycles.

Cheers
Andre

Too much of a nub to know how to do that yet. I try to do all the BOINC management with Boinc Manager and BoincView from a Windows machine. I felt good that I managed to get Linux on the computers, configured and BOINC running with a GUI. Now I can take the time to learn how to turn the Linux GUI off or on.

I tried Xubuntu with the minimal GUI and decided it was too hard to do all the initial install and configuration....the Gnome interface just seemed more intuitive to me.

Guess I'll just have to build another cruncher to make up for the resources consumed by the GUI on my existing machines...... :-)
Profile David Ball
Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

Message 2247 - Posted 20 Jan 2007 4:58:05 UTC

Thanks for the help on Ubuntu. I've installed it on what was my Fedora Core 3 machine and loaded BOINC 5.4.11 from the boinc website rather than the yum repository. It certainly handles the mainboards yucky S3 unichrome video better than FC3 did. It was fun downloading the 160 MB of updates on a 56k modem though.

It's now machine number 1368 and has completed and returned 3 work units. I think it's been paired with j2satx (machine 1358) on at least 2 of them and Rene on one of them. There's also the notorious "Anonymous" :-) IIRC, Conan had a machine in there somewhere. It's amazing how many names are familiar from the forums *grin*. Now, I'm just waiting for a work unit to meet the quorum so I can see if it validates.

Thanks,

-- David

Profile clownius
Volunteer tester

Message 2428 - Posted 8 Feb 2007 10:07:20 UTC

A little off topic but not too far. Im currently in the middle of setting up some help pages for installing Kubuntu Linux and very soon on running BOINC on this. Saves around AU$150 a cruncher (on XP...id hate to think how much on Vista(depends on how many cores you run doesn't it?)) when building new boxes (or resurrecting old ones).
It can be found at http://www.gossner.id.au I only have the first page up so far which is an install walk through but more will follow as i get time to write them up and take all the screenshots.
Tell me if it helps you (or not) and anything you will like added. Should have a contact me page up in the very near future so use that. for now i can usually be found lurking on various forums.

Message boards : Unix/Linux : Ubuntu 6.10

Database Error
: The MySQL server is running with the --read-only option so it cannot execute this statement
array(3) {
  [0]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(47) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/db_conn.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(97)
    ["function"]=>
    string(8) "do_query"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#37 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(102) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(1) {
      [0]=>
      &string(51) "update DBNAME.thread set views=views+1 where id=150"
    }
  }
  [1]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(48) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/forum_db.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(60)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#37 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(102) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(3) {
      [0]=>
      object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
        ["id"]=>
        string(3) "150"
        ["forum"]=>
        string(1) "6"
        ["owner"]=>
        string(3) "339"
        ["status"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["title"]=>
        string(11) "Ubuntu 6.10"
        ["timestamp"]=>
        string(10) "1170929240"
        ["views"]=>
        string(4) "2325"
        ["replies"]=>
        string(2) "31"
        ["activity"]=>
        string(23) "1.1901879746576999e-124"
        ["sufferers"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["score"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["votes"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["create_time"]=>
        string(10) "1168346811"
        ["hidden"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["sticky"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["locked"]=>
        string(1) "0"
      }
      [1]=>
      &string(6) "thread"
      [2]=>
      &string(13) "views=views+1"
    }
  }
  [2]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(63) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/user/community/forum/thread.php"
    ["line"]=>
    int(184)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(11) "BoincThread"
    ["object"]=>
    object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
      ["id"]=>
      string(3) "150"
      ["forum"]=>
      string(1) "6"