BOINC manager 5.7.x experiences ?

Advanced search

Message boards : Cafe Docking : BOINC manager 5.7.x experiences ?

Sort
Profile David Ball
Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

ID: 115
Credit: 1,634,401
RAC: 0
Message 1686 - Posted 2 Dec 2006 22:02:55 UTC

I'm still running the recommended BOINC clients (Linux 5.4.9 and Windows 5.4.11) but I've noticed some people here are running the test 5.7.x clients. I was wondering what kind of experience you're having with them. Are they stable or do they tend to crash some?

Thanks,

-- David

Profile KSMarksPsych
Volunteer tester

ID: 87
Credit: 8,222
Message 1687 - Posted 3 Dec 2006 0:43:51 UTC

The current one (5.7.5)is rock solid for me aside from one annoying bug that'll be fixed in the next alpha release.

Snooze only snooze for 1 minute instead of one hour. Apparently hours and minutes got screwed up somewhere in the code according to Rom's check in notes .

In this release CPU throttling is working correctly. 5.7.4 and previous had a bug where the science app would suddenly stop all processing.

David A. has posted to the alpha list that 5.8 should be ready for release in a week or 2.

Profile suguruhirahara
Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

ID: 15
Credit: 56,614
Message 1710 - Posted 5 Dec 2006 14:54:45 UTC

Yes 5.7.5 seems enough stable to be used:) Yet it has the problem in snoozing, according to forums @ berkerley. Next the 5.8 will be released as recommended version.

BTW I'm curious when the next version of boinc for linux will be available, though it'll be in a couple of weeks.

I'm a volunteer participant; my views are not necessarily those of Docking@Home or its participating institutions.

Profile David Ball
Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

Message 1711 - Posted 5 Dec 2006 16:25:05 UTC - in response to Message ID 1710 .
Last modified: 5 Dec 2006 16:29:22 UTC

Yes 5.7.5 seems enough stable to be used:) Yet it has the problem in snoozing, according to forums @ berkerley. Next the 5.8 will be released as recommended version.

BTW I'm curious when the next version of boinc for linux will be available, though it'll be in a couple of weeks.

I'll sure be glad when the new version for Linux is released. I'm on a dial-up connection and the BOINC manager menu item to suspend communications doesn't always work on my FC3 machine. The dot shows up by "Network Activity Suspended" on the activity menu but, most of the time, it never writes the suspended message to the log and they aren't actually suspended. Even using boinc_cmd from the command line doesn't do it.

On the BOINC message boards, they asked for some people to email a developer with info they had on the problem with the current BOINC client sometimes dying and orphaning Rosetta. The thread was about it happening in Windows, but I've had it happen in Linux and got a very informative stack trace. When I sent it to the developer, I asked him to please release a command line version for Linux again.

I also subscribed to the BOINC developers mailing list and have started going back through the archives. They're discussing some of problems that are going to have to be addressed with Vista, so I would expect a point release soon after Vista is readily available to users and developers, rather than just the giant corporations.

Reading about the snooze problem was a bit spooky for me. When I found out it was caused by confusion over a time being specified in the wrong units, the Mars probe we lost because of metric conversion was the first thing I thought of. That's probably because I had recently read an argument over whether Hubble could have detected the crash if Mars hadn't been on the edge of the exclusion zone for the Sun.

Since the release is so close, I think I'll wait until the actual BOINC client 5.8 release to try it.

Thanks to everyone who replied!

Regards,

-- David
Rene
Volunteer tester

ID: 160
Credit: 109,415
Message 1713 - Posted 5 Dec 2006 20:13:03 UTC - in response to Message ID 1711 .

I also subscribed to the BOINC developers mailing list and have started going back through the archives. They're discussing some of problems that are going to have to be addressed with Vista, so I would expect a point release soon after Vista is readily available to users and developers, rather than just the giant corporations.

There seems to be some problems when using a 'Service' install.
I've got a 5.7.5 host (seti, cplan, leiden) running under Vista RC1 and using a "Single user" install did not cause any problems.
Installation went into the default directory.

Profile David Ball
Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

Message 1716 - Posted 6 Dec 2006 0:26:30 UTC - in response to Message ID 1713 .

There seems to be some problems when using a 'Service' install.
I've got a 5.7.5 host (seti, cplan, leiden) running under Vista RC1 and using a "Single user" install did not cause any problems.
Installation went into the default directory.

IIRC, the "all users" and the "service" install are what they are concerned about on Vista. It sounds like you're either going to have security boxes popping up or have to run BOINC with so many permissions that it can really do damage to the system.

The other problem I remember has to do with some processes like the Windows Desktop Searching indexer not working because it never sees the system go idle with BOINC running on Vista. I suspect Vista is going to make life interesting for a lot of developers besides BOINC. I would also expect it to be a moving target as Microsoft makes changes to try to deal with the problems developers are having.

I'm looking forward to the 5.8 BOINC client release, but I think it's going to be a while before I try Vista instead of XP and Linux.

-- David

Message boards : Cafe Docking : BOINC manager 5.7.x experiences ?

Database Error
: The MySQL server is running with the --read-only option so it cannot execute this statement
array(3) {
  [0]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(47) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/db_conn.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(97)
    ["function"]=>
    string(8) "do_query"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#11 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(72) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(1) {
      [0]=>
      &string(51) "update DBNAME.thread set views=views+1 where id=120"
    }
  }
  [1]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(48) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/forum_db.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(60)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#11 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(72) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(3) {
      [0]=>
      object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
        ["id"]=>
        string(3) "120"
        ["forum"]=>
        string(1) "3"
        ["owner"]=>
        string(3) "115"
        ["status"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["title"]=>
        string(33) "BOINC manager 5.7.x experiences ?"
        ["timestamp"]=>
        string(10) "1165364791"
        ["views"]=>
        string(4) "1881"
        ["replies"]=>
        string(1) "5"
        ["activity"]=>
        string(20) "2.5532323636364e-127"
        ["sufferers"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["score"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["votes"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["create_time"]=>
        string(10) "1165096975"
        ["hidden"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["sticky"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["locked"]=>
        string(1) "0"
      }
      [1]=>
      &string(6) "thread"
      [2]=>
      &string(13) "views=views+1"
    }
  }
  [2]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(63) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/user/community/forum/thread.php"
    ["line"]=>
    int(184)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(11) "BoincThread"
    ["object"]=>
    object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
      ["id"]=>
      string(3) "120"
      ["forum"]=>
      string(1) "3"