Sort
Profile Billy
Volunteer tester

ID: 123
Credit: 3,279
RAC: 0
Message 2040 - Posted 11 Jan 2007 3:29:07 UTC
Last modified: 11 Jan 2007 3:29:46 UTC

Work Unit 20240 is interesting in the credit result. My iMac and one of the MacPro's got credit. The second Mac Pro got zero. I can only see that the MacPro that got zero credit seems to have started and stopped the Charm application at least once more?

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

ID: 1
Credit: 15,199
Message 2041 - Posted 11 Jan 2007 4:04:33 UTC - in response to Message ID 2040 .

Good catch; we are also thinking that checkpointing might have to do something with the fact that there are (seemingly random) differences in results on macs. Richard and Michela are looking into this at the moment.

Thanks
Andre

Work Unit 20240 is interesting in the credit result. My iMac and one of the MacPro's got credit. The second Mac Pro got zero. I can only see that the MacPro that got zero credit seems to have started and stopped the Charm application at least once more?

ID: 75
Credit: 57,728
Message 2332 - Posted 30 Jan 2007 6:41:31 UTC - in response to Message ID 2041 .

Good catch; we are also thinking that checkpointing might have to do something with the fact that there are (seemingly random) differences in results on macs. Richard and Michela are looking into this at the moment.

I had a simliar problem. Downloaded three WUs. One WU was computed without switching to other projects in one turn. Other two computed with some interrupts by project switching. One WU got valid.
I am not shure, but it looks like the WU without interrupts made the validation.
Andre, what do you think, should I/we retry to crunch some WUs without interrupting in one turn ?
Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2333 - Posted 30 Jan 2007 15:48:41 UTC - in response to Message ID 2332 .

If you have some time for this, that would be a great experiment. In the meantime, we will be doing the same in the lab (on a smaller scale since we don't have so many macs).

Thanks
Andre

I had a simliar problem. Downloaded three WUs. One WU was computed without switching to other projects in one turn. Other two computed with some interrupts by project switching. One WU got valid.
I am not shure, but it looks like the WU without interrupts made the validation.
Andre, what do you think, should I/we retry to crunch some WUs without interrupting in one turn ?

Message 2917 - Posted 2 Apr 2007 20:28:59 UTC - in response to Message ID 2041 .

Do you have changed anything at the Mac application ? - I have crunched a WU which was validated successfull. I have looked in the logs, the application had switched, but I had enabled the "leave application in memory while resumed" switch. I am not shure, if this was a good luck, or if the leave application in memory switch could be the solution.
Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2919 - Posted 2 Apr 2007 22:27:04 UTC - in response to Message ID 2917 .

Do you have changed anything at the Mac application ? - I have crunched a WU which was validated successfull. I have looked in the logs, the application had switched, but I had enabled the "leave application in memory while resumed" switch. I am not shure, if this was a good luck, or if the leave application in memory switch could be the solution.

It's possible that this setting helps alleviate the problem, but I don't know whether it would be a good solution since we would have to ask everybody to switch it on specially for D@H. Remember that this is a randomly occuring problem: it only happens when the boinc client switches projects in the middle of the checkpoint routine.

Andre

Message 2925 - Posted 3 Apr 2007 19:52:07 UTC - in response to Message ID 2919 .
Last modified: 3 Apr 2007 19:54:47 UTC

It's possible that this setting helps alleviate the problem, but I don't know whether it would be a good solution since we would have to ask everybody to switch it on specially for D@H.

There are some projects, where the "leave application in memory" switch should be enabled by default, CPDN for example..

Remember that this is a randomly occuring problem: it only happens when the boinc client switches projects in the middle of the checkpoint routine.

As multi project cruncher, I have a heavy switching beteen the apps, so I had about 75 % invalid docking results.
Profile David Ball
Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

ID: 115
Credit: 1,634,401
Message 2928 - Posted 3 Apr 2007 21:18:08 UTC

I don't have a Mac, but on my Linux and XP machines I have it set to Leave applications in memory and I don't remember when I've had a WU that didn't validate. Well, there was that one where I did some hardware changes and rebooted/powered down the machine about 5 times during the first 20% of the WU, but I figured the chances of it validating were nonexistent so I aborted the WU :-)

-- David

Message boards : Macintosh : WU 20240

Database Error
: The MySQL server is running with the --read-only option so it cannot execute this statement
array(3) {
  [0]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(47) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/db_conn.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(97)
    ["function"]=>
    string(8) "do_query"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#13 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(72) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(1) {
      [0]=>
      &string(51) "update DBNAME.thread set views=views+1 where id=158"
    }
  }
  [1]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(48) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/forum_db.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(60)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#13 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(72) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(3) {
      [0]=>
      object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
        ["id"]=>
        string(3) "158"
        ["forum"]=>
        string(1) "7"
        ["owner"]=>
        string(3) "123"
        ["status"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["title"]=>
        string(8) "WU 20240"
        ["timestamp"]=>
        string(10) "1175635088"
        ["views"]=>
        string(4) "1337"
        ["replies"]=>
        string(1) "7"
        ["activity"]=>
        string(20) "2.3352890424285e-122"
        ["sufferers"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["score"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["votes"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["create_time"]=>
        string(10) "1168486147"
        ["hidden"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["sticky"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["locked"]=>
        string(1) "0"
      }
      [1]=>
      &string(6) "thread"
      [2]=>
      &string(13) "views=views+1"
    }
  }
  [2]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(63) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/user/community/forum/thread.php"
    ["line"]=>
    int(184)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(11) "BoincThread"
    ["object"]=>
    object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
      ["id"]=>
      string(3) "158"
      ["forum"]=>
      string(1) "7"