Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

ID: 1
Credit: 15,199
RAC: 0
Message 2606 - Posted 27 Feb 2007 22:04:07 UTC

A new web page has been made available that will give an overview of the currently scheduled work in the shared memory area. So if you get the message 'there was work, but it is committed to other platforms' please check this page first. Currently we are in need of many more linux machines and macs to take out all of that reserved work in the queue for them. If you know of any colleagues or friends that have such machines, please let them write an email to dockingadmin@utep.edu for an invitation code. Thanks!

j2satx
Volunteer tester

ID: 339
Credit: 16,191,581
Message 2607 - Posted 27 Feb 2007 22:36:23 UTC - in response to Message ID 2606 .

A new web page has been made available that will give an overview of the currently scheduled work in the shared memory area. So if you get the message 'there was work, but it is committed to other platforms' please check this page first. Currently we are in need of many more linux machines and macs to take out all of that reserved work in the queue for them. If you know of any colleagues or friends that have such machines, please let them write an email to dockingadmin@utep.edu for an invitation code. Thanks!

Does that show 549 WUs reserved for Intel Linux and no work avail for AMD Linux?
Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2608 - Posted 27 Feb 2007 23:34:12 UTC - in response to Message ID 2607 .
Last modified: 27 Feb 2007 23:35:36 UTC

Correct.

We've just put a change in that will cycle stale workunits between the database and the SM every two hours. Hopefully that will get some work to other types of machines. As a matter of fact, it just changed and there are now 760 results available for any type of machine. So grab some!

AK

Does that show 549 WUs reserved for Intel Linux and no work avail for AMD Linux?

ID: 280
Credit: 2,677
Message 2610 - Posted 28 Feb 2007 14:49:30 UTC

Darwin Intel seems to really be the Wu hog. Im not seeing much reserved for Intel Linux. I notice there is no pre p4 for Linux so i don't feel so bad for retiring my Coppermine anymore.

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2611 - Posted 28 Feb 2007 14:55:58 UTC - in response to Message ID 2610 .

We've put some Intel Linux boxes to work here in the lab, to get rid of that large amount of workunits in their queue; that seems to have helped alleviate things a bit; Intel Darwin machines are a problem though since we only have one in the lab and not too many out there. I'm currently writing a tool that will show us the HR distribution of the current active machines attached to docking. That will help research this issue a bit too.

Thanks
Andre

Darwin Intel seems to really be the Wu hog. Im not seeing much reserved for Intel Linux. I notice there is no pre p4 for Linux so i don't feel so bad for retiring my Coppermine anymore.

ID: 99
Credit: 73,635
Message 2613 - Posted 28 Feb 2007 17:39:54 UTC - in response to Message ID 2611 .

Intel Darwin machines are a problem though since we only have one in the lab and not too many out there.

There are tons of Mactels out there, but there's a reason for that.
First, getting credits with an Intel Mac was a bit of a lottery. Lots of invalid results for Mactel crunchers, project staff didn't really know the cause and suggested (Andre?) to stop crunching temporarily with an Intel Mac until the new version is released and this problem is sorted out. BUT: App version is still 5.02, so how can you expect getting lots of Macs? Maybe the problem IS solved, but most people don't read the forums and don't know about it. Second, charmm still shows excessive disk writes every second. This IS a also a problem for many crunchers.
Profile Frank Boerner
Volunteer tester

ID: 101
Credit: 744,548
Message 2614 - Posted 28 Feb 2007 18:08:53 UTC - in response to Message ID 2613 .

Intel Darwin machines are a problem though since we only have one in the lab and not too many out there.

First, getting credits with an Intel Mac was a bit of a lottery. Lots of invalid results for Mactel crunchers, project staff didn't really know the cause and suggested (Andre?) to stop crunching temporarily with an Intel Mac until the new version is released and this problem is sorted out. BUT: App version is still 5.02, so how can you expect getting lots of Macs? Maybe the problem IS solved, but most people don't read the forums and don't know about it. Second, charmm still shows excessive disk writes every second. This IS a also a problem for many crunchers.

I can't say that the Intel Macs gets invalid results. I have 6 Intel Macs for the last 3 days on Docking and after ca. 1000 Workunits i have no invalid result. I would say the problems are solved.

Frank
Profile clownius
Volunteer tester

ID: 280
Credit: 2,677
Message 2615 - Posted 28 Feb 2007 18:31:03 UTC
Last modified: 28 Feb 2007 18:34:57 UTC

Ok the Linux Intel results are building up fast again. I can only supply 2 Linux Intels as the 3rd (my C2D) is 64bit on ABC and RS as it does its best work on 64bit projects. It will make a very small dent in the way those WU´s build up with the long crunch time on these older 2 and 2.4Ghz machines. Anyone know a lot of people with Intel Linux machines?

I just want to know who owns the super fast/large number of Linux Intels? Just 2 owners should be enough to stop this buildup shouldn't they? one to produce the 0 result and another to crunch the 1 result.

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2616 - Posted 28 Feb 2007 20:04:26 UTC - in response to Message ID 2613 .

We know what causes the occasional Mac invalid results: it has to do with how we do the checkpointing. This process is currently being changed, but it is quite tricky to implement. The checkpointing and logfile writing we currently do also causes the disk writing. We explained that we need to write a lot of log messages, because we are in alpha and have to find the issues with the system.

Frank Boerner mentioned that he has a 100% success rate with his Macs currently, so it might be worth trying again for other people.

Thanks
Andre

ID: 123
Credit: 3,279
Message 2617 - Posted 28 Feb 2007 20:37:40 UTC

I just had an invalid result in my Intel iMac http://docking.utep.edu/workunit.php?wuid=26400

It appears that Wu's issued from and after 26458 have a good chance of granting credits to all machines, credits issued from and before 26456 have a good chance of NOT granting credits to all machines.

zombie67 [MM]
Volunteer tester

ID: 114
Credit: 2,817,648
Message 2618 - Posted 28 Feb 2007 20:42:12 UTC - in response to Message ID 2616 .

We know what causes the occasional Mac invalid results: it has to do with how we do the checkpointing. This process is currently being changed, but it is quite tricky to implement. The checkpointing and logfile writing we currently do also causes the disk writing. We explained that we need to write a lot of log messages, because we are in alpha and have to find the issues with the system.

Frank Boerner mentioned that he has a 100% success rate with his Macs currently, so it might be worth trying again for other people.

See the news item posted on Dec. 1st. It tells Mac users to suspend. Perhaps a new news item asking them to rejoin would be in order.

Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2619 - Posted 28 Feb 2007 20:53:18 UTC - in response to Message ID 2618 .

We'd rather first fix the checkpointing issue before asking all macs to attach again. At the moment, things might seem better for the Macs, but we haven't changed anything really... So I feel a bit hesitant to ask people back before the issue has been fixed.

But feel free to try again and see how it goes! The Mac workqueue is huge at the moment.

Thanks
Andre

See the news item posted on Dec. 1st. It tells Mac users to suspend. Perhaps a new news item asking them to rejoin would be in order.

Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2620 - Posted 28 Feb 2007 20:55:31 UTC - in response to Message ID 2617 .

I think this has more to do with the new boinc client (>5.8.11) than anything else. Boinc_dev changed the way how Macs identify themselves to the server and initially I thought this broke our HR rules, now I start to think it might have fixed some problems :-) We are also working on a new set of HR rules for this reason.

Cheers
Andre

I just had an invalid result in my Intel iMac http://docking.utep.edu/workunit.php?wuid=26400

It appears that Wu's issued from and after 26458 have a good chance of granting credits to all machines, credits issued from and before 26456 have a good chance of NOT granting credits to all machines.

Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2623 - Posted 1 Mar 2007 0:22:38 UTC

New host HR information is available on the shared memory page .

Andre

Profile David Ball
Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

ID: 115
Credit: 1,634,401
Message 2624 - Posted 1 Mar 2007 0:45:55 UTC

Great job on the new page!!!

After looking at it, I was wondering why There's a "Windows PreP4", but no "Linux PreP4" ?

*chuckle* Just my luck, as soon as I get totally involved securing a new server and moving websites, D@H goes from idle to everything happening at once :-)

-- David

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2625 - Posted 1 Mar 2007 2:24:42 UTC - in response to Message ID 2624 .

Great job on the new page!!!

Thanks!

After looking at it, I was wondering why There's a "Windows PreP4", but no "Linux PreP4" ?

Linux PreP4 machines give the same results as Linux AMD machines, so they are going into that pool.

*chuckle* Just my luck, as soon as I get totally involved securing a new server and moving websites, D@H goes from idle to everything happening at once :-)

That's life :-) Good news: starting from next week, my involvement with the project goes from 2 days a week to 4 days a week. Means we can get a whole lot more done!

Andre

Message 2626 - Posted 1 Mar 2007 3:54:40 UTC - in response to Message ID 2623 .

Andre

Why are the WUs not distributed in shared memory in the same approximate distribution as the distribution of hosts?
Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2627 - Posted 1 Mar 2007 5:06:34 UTC - in response to Message ID 2626 .

Good question :-)

Because that algorithm does not exist in BOINC (yet). The people in Leiden (LeidenClassical) have made a first effort of trying to achieve that exactly and we are going to collaborate with them on that. Next to the biology, we want to do a little bit of computer science research too...!

Thanks
Andre

Andre

Why are the WUs not distributed in shared memory in the same approximate distribution as the distribution of hosts?

ID: 160
Credit: 109,415
Message 2628 - Posted 1 Mar 2007 6:10:34 UTC - in response to Message ID 2623 .

Andre

Looks nice...!!!

;-)

Project tester

ID: 14
Credit: 1,666,392
Message 2629 - Posted 1 Mar 2007 6:54:44 UTC - in response to Message ID 2626 .

Andre

Actually it looks kind of like the opposite... my first guess is because there are so many windows machines and most of the users are using windows machines to crunch that the amount of replicas reserved in the shared memory cannot grow, on the other hand mac intels are the opposite of windows.

Every time computer X with owner Y comes and requests work no more of one replica for that WU can belong to X or Y, so if only few users have macs attached new WU are being assign to the mac HR class and 2 replicas stay in memory waiting for another user to download them.
Profile adrianxw
Volunteer tester

ID: 343
Credit: 1,669,741
Message 2630 - Posted 1 Mar 2007 8:07:13 UTC
Last modified: 1 Mar 2007 8:08:46 UTC

A lot of people are complimenting the pretty picture, and fair enough, nice, but what for me was really attractive was a couple of lines of text.

We'd rather first fix the checkpointing issue before asking all macs to attach again. At the moment, things might seem better for the Macs, but we haven't changed anything really... So I feel a bit hesitant to ask people back before the issue has been fixed.

That tells me more about the project than the picture.
j2satx
Volunteer tester

Message 2631 - Posted 1 Mar 2007 11:11:37 UTC - in response to Message ID 2627 .

Good question :-)

Because that algorithm does not exist in BOINC (yet). The people in Leiden (LeidenClassical) have made a first effort of trying to achieve that exactly and we are going to collaborate with them on that. Next to the biology, we want to do a little bit of computer science research too...!

Thanks
Andre

Andre

If you can swap the replicas in and out of shared memory back to the database, is it not possible to redistribute them in shared memory at that point?
Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2633 - Posted 1 Mar 2007 14:55:52 UTC - in response to Message ID 2631 .

If you can swap the replicas in and out of shared memory back to the database, is it not possible to redistribute them in shared memory at that point?

You make it sound easy :-) With the current boinc code it is not that easy to implement though, because it implies HR knowledge of hosts that will come and ask for work at a certain point in time. And that's something you never know with volunteer computing projects: hosts disappear and attach all the time, so the best thing you can do is make a good as possible estimate.

But that's what all the computer science in this project is for: to improve the boinc default scheduling algorithms. And we plan to do exactly that :-)

Thanks
Andre
Project developer
Project tester

ID: 14
Credit: 1,666,392
Message 2635 - Posted 1 Mar 2007 17:50:56 UTC - in response to Message ID 2633 .

You make it sound easy :-) With the current boinc code it is not that easy to implement though, because it implies HR knowledge of hosts that will come and ask for work at a certain point in time. And that's something you never know with volunteer computing projects: hosts disappear and attach all the time, so the best thing you can do is make a good as possible estimate.

But that's what all the computer science in this project is for: to improve the boinc default scheduling algorithms. And we plan to do exactly that :-)

Thanks
Andre

Also once one unassigned replica is downloaded by a host that WU will belong to that HR class and the other two replicas must go to the same HR class. So even if you send back replicas to the DB once they come back to the shared memory they will have the same HR class, otherwise, homogeneous redundancy will not work.

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2636 - Posted 1 Mar 2007 18:04:08 UTC - in response to Message ID 2630 .

That tells me more about the project than the picture.

Hmmm, what's that supposed to mean...? I hope these are positive thoughts ;-)

AK

Message 2637 - Posted 1 Mar 2007 20:55:37 UTC

Please consider modifying the memory overview page so that both blocks have HR classes in the same order.

A little OCD never hurt anyone.......... :-)

BobCat13
Volunteer tester

ID: 239
Credit: 285,322
Message 2638 - Posted 1 Mar 2007 20:59:06 UTC

Since the quorum is now set to 2, would it help the shared memory situation to set the initial replication to 2 as well?

That way, when a workunit is first distributed and assigned to a HR class, there would only be 1 remaining copy of it in shared memory instead of the 2 remaining copies there are now.

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2639 - Posted 1 Mar 2007 21:22:12 UTC - in response to Message ID 2637 .

Fixed. Thanks for noticing :-)

AK

Please consider modifying the memory overview page so that both blocks have HR classes in the same order.

Message 2641 - Posted 2 Mar 2007 14:36:19 UTC - in response to Message ID 2635 .

Thanks
Andre

Also once one unassigned replica is downloaded by a host that WU will belong to that HR class and the other two replicas must go to the same HR class. So even if you send back replicas to the DB once they come back to the shared memory they will have the same HR class, otherwise, homogeneous redundancy will not work.

Do stale unassigned replicas return to the database and then come back as the same HR class?

j2satx
Volunteer tester

Message 2642 - Posted 2 Mar 2007 14:52:43 UTC - in response to Message ID 2639 .

Fixed. Thanks for noticing :-)

AK

Also noticed the February 29th news......
Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2643 - Posted 2 Mar 2007 15:10:03 UTC - in response to Message ID 2641 .

Do stale unassigned replicas return to the database and then come back as the same HR class?

If with unassigned you mean not distributed, yes: when a result gets assigned to a certain HR class it will keep that until a cannonical result was found.

Andre

Message 2644 - Posted 2 Mar 2007 17:08:32 UTC

From news:

We have started cycling the work available in the shared memory by using the -purge_stale parameter of the feeder daemon. This means that work in the SM will be swapped out with work in the database at 2 hour intervals if it has not been distributed within that interval. This means that you will see quite large changes on the Shared Memory Distribution web page.

The is the swap I was referring to. Does work that was in the "Linux Intel" pool that was not distributed come back as "Linux Intel" replicas or possibly "Linux AMD" replicas.

Thanks for your patience.

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2645 - Posted 2 Mar 2007 17:22:42 UTC - in response to Message ID 2644 .
Last modified: 2 Mar 2007 17:22:57 UTC

Linux Intel will come back as Linux Intel. Once a workunit gets assigned an HR class, because it is assigned to a certain type of host, it will keep that forever.

AK

From news:

We have started cycling the work available in the shared memory by using the -purge_stale parameter of the feeder daemon. This means that work in the SM will be swapped out with work in the database at 2 hour intervals if it has not been distributed within that interval. This means that you will see quite large changes on the Shared Memory Distribution web page.

The is the swap I was referring to. Does work that was in the "Linux Intel" pool that was not distributed come back as "Linux Intel" replicas or possibly "Linux AMD" replicas.

Message 2646 - Posted 2 Mar 2007 18:17:29 UTC - in response to Message ID 2645 .

Linux Intel will come back as Linux Intel. Once a workunit gets assigned an HR class, because it is assigned to a certain type of host, it will keep that forever.

AK

From news:

So, the few that are in the "unassigned" are the only ones that could come back and be assigned another class?
Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2647 - Posted 2 Mar 2007 18:23:57 UTC - in response to Message ID 2646 .

So, the few that are in the "unassigned" are the only ones that could come back and be assigned another class?

Correct!
AK
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2648 - Posted 2 Mar 2007 18:48:13 UTC - in response to Message ID 2642 .

Also noticed the February 29th news......

:-) Now I understand what you're getting at :-) I've corrected the date...

AK

ID: 4
Credit: 1,539,093
Message 2653 - Posted 3 Mar 2007 0:33:31 UTC - in response to Message ID 2623 .

Andre

Hope this is not a duplicate request, I've was on vacation and have been quite busy the last week trying to catch up on everything, Yeah I'm still around a little and keep an eye on you Andre.

This page looks nice, but could you label the columns. I can tell what the o/s column is but I would have to guess what this next number is for, unless I read this entire thread. Would make it easier for someone new to the project or maybe those of us to lazy to read, understand what they are looking at.

Message boards : Number crunching : Shared memory overview page available

Database Error
: The MySQL server is running with the --read-only option so it cannot execute this statement
array(3) {
  [0]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(47) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/db_conn.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(97)
    ["function"]=>
    string(8) "do_query"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#42 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(126) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(1) {
      [0]=>
      &string(51) "update DBNAME.thread set views=views+1 where id=188"
    }
  }
  [1]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(48) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/forum_db.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(60)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#42 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(126) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(3) {
      [0]=>
      object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
        ["id"]=>
        string(3) "188"
        ["forum"]=>
        string(1) "2"
        ["owner"]=>
        string(1) "1"
        ["status"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["title"]=>
        string(37) "Shared memory overview page available"
        ["timestamp"]=>
        string(10) "1172882011"
        ["views"]=>
        string(4) "1488"
        ["replies"]=>
        string(2) "36"
        ["activity"]=>
        string(20) "8.3070855422043e-123"
        ["sufferers"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["score"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["votes"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["create_time"]=>
        string(10) "1172613847"
        ["hidden"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["sticky"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["locked"]=>
        string(1) "0"
      }
      [1]=>
      &string(6) "thread"
      [2]=>
      &string(13) "views=views+1"
    }
  }
  [2]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(63) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/user/community/forum/thread.php"
    ["line"]=>
    int(184)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(11) "BoincThread"
    ["object"]=>
    object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
      ["id"]=>
      string(3) "188"
      ["forum"]=>
      string(1) "2"