Advanced search

Message boards : Number crunching : WU with no progress and no end

Sort
iancantwell

ID: 85971
Credit: 10,326
RAC: 0
Message 7160 - Posted 15 Oct 2013 15:13:15 UTC

I joined a few days ago on the basis of the Nobel Chemistry prize and received one unit CHARMM 34a2.6.23 series. 4.10.00 time.
It ran for an hour without any % progress then when my computer switched projects and restarted it went back to zero with 7.7mb utilised. I then let it run for 5.10.00 and it still had 0% progress and 7.7mb. So there is a problem with WU or compatibility with my computer.
I have suspended the unit and refused any further work. As I have a set of projects that work with few problems, I don't need the hassle or frustration, as a 2CPU laptop volunteer. So what do I do now? abort the unit? As I am not a programmer I will not be fiddling around with coding. If I don't get a simple to implement answer I will just suspend the project.
This problem is commonly mentioned over the last years on your message board but still remains. If you wish volunteers to join and stay than treat their efforts with respect and give them hassle free units

Profile TheFiend

ID: 9482
Credit: 20,705,527
Message 7161 - Posted 17 Oct 2013 18:30:14 UTC - in response to Message ID 7160 .

I joined a few days ago on the basis of the Nobel Chemistry prize and received one unit CHARMM 34a2.6.23 series. 4.10.00 time.
It ran for an hour without any % progress then when my computer switched projects and restarted it went back to zero with 7.7mb utilised. I then let it run for 5.10.00 and it still had 0% progress and 7.7mb. So there is a problem with WU or compatibility with my computer.
I have suspended the unit and refused any further work. As I have a set of projects that work with few problems, I don't need the hassle or frustration, as a 2CPU laptop volunteer. So what do I do now? abort the unit? As I am not a programmer I will not be fiddling around with coding. If I don't get a simple to implement answer I will just suspend the project.
This problem is commonly mentioned over the last years on your message board but still remains. If you wish volunteers to join and stay than treat their efforts with respect and give them hassle free units

Sadly there is a problem with certain Intel chipsets, Win 7 64bit OS and Docking. This has been a long stsnding problem and it looks like the project team don't have the resources to cure the problem.

To me it looks like Docking isn't suitable for your set-up.
iancantwell

ID: 85971
Credit: 10,326
Message 7162 - Posted 18 Oct 2013 7:58:55 UTC - in response to Message ID 7161 .

Sadly there is a problem with certain Intel chipsets, Win 7 64bit OS and Docking. This has been a long stsnding problem and it looks like the project team don't have the resources to cure the problem.

Thanks for that, since then the unit reset to zero. So I will abort it and suspend the project.
steve

ID: 13910
Credit: 62,355
Message 7187 - Posted 19 Dec 2013 2:18:29 UTC - in response to Message ID 7162 .

Thanks for that, since then the unit reset to zero. So I will abort it and suspend the project.

Well, tried again but work units still fail the same way they did 4 years ago.
Aborted all the work units I downloaded. I'll try again in a couple of years.
morgan

ID: 7563
Credit: 1,539,990
Message 7224 - Posted 13 Mar 2014 10:29:06 UTC

Me to!
But on a AMD Phenom(tm) 9750 Quad-Core,running win xp were all other wus runs fine..
had to abort it, when i discover what was happening.
311 hours of wasted time

http://docking.cis.udel.edu/community/result.php?resultid=46838766

Message boards : Number crunching : WU with no progress and no end

Database Error
: The MySQL server is running with the --read-only option so it cannot execute this statement
array(3) {
  [0]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(47) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/db_conn.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(97)
    ["function"]=>
    string(8) "do_query"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#10 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(72) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(1) {
      [0]=>
      &string(51) "update DBNAME.thread set views=views+1 where id=741"
    }
  }
  [1]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(48) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/forum_db.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(60)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#10 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(72) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(3) {
      [0]=>
      object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
        ["id"]=>
        string(3) "741"
        ["forum"]=>
        string(1) "2"
        ["owner"]=>
        string(5) "85971"
        ["status"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["title"]=>
        string(30) "WU with no progress and no end"
        ["timestamp"]=>
        string(10) "1394706546"
        ["views"]=>
        string(3) "139"
        ["replies"]=>
        string(1) "4"
        ["activity"]=>
        string(29) "0.000000000000067123979794969"
        ["sufferers"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["score"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["votes"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["create_time"]=>
        string(10) "1381849994"
        ["hidden"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["sticky"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["locked"]=>
        string(1) "0"
      }
      [1]=>
      &string(6) "thread"
      [2]=>
      &string(13) "views=views+1"
    }
  }
  [2]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(63) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/user/community/forum/thread.php"
    ["line"]=>
    int(184)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(11) "BoincThread"
    ["object"]=>
    object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
      ["id"]=>
      string(3) "741"
      ["forum"]=>
      string(1) "2"