Homogenous Redundancy?

Advanced search

Message boards : Number crunching : Homogenous Redundancy?

Sort
Profile Webmaster Yoda
Volunteer tester

ID: 271
Credit: 6,498
RAC: 0
Message 1518 - Posted 20 Nov 2006 13:24:33 UTC

My Athlon XP was paired with a couple of Athlon X2's and its result was deemed invalid. Zero credits for over 6 hours crunching.

I seem to recall that on another project (perhaps Rosetta?) there were similar problems when pairing an Athlon XP with an Athlon 64 or X2.

Just wondering if mine is an isolated case or whether it's happening more often.

The Work Unit in question is 13360

Join the #1 Aussie Alliance on Docking@Home

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

ID: 1
Credit: 15,199
Message 1519 - Posted 20 Nov 2006 14:49:55 UTC - in response to Message ID 1518 .

Thanks, this will help research this issue even better!

Andre

My Athlon XP was paired with a couple of Athlon X2's and its result was deemed invalid. Zero credits for over 6 hours crunching.

I seem to recall that on another project (perhaps Rosetta?) there were similar problems when pairing an Athlon XP with an Athlon 64 or X2.

Just wondering if mine is an isolated case or whether it's happening more often.

The Work Unit in question is 13360

ID: 129
Credit: 11,804
Message 1526 - Posted 20 Nov 2006 19:11:20 UTC
Last modified: 20 Nov 2006 19:13:18 UTC

Well, my Barton 3200+ has been paired with A64 X2 or even Opteron and my wus were valid.

(retired account)
Volunteer tester

ID: 331
Credit: 158,686
Message 2045 - Posted 11 Jan 2007 12:01:53 UTC
Last modified: 11 Jan 2007 12:09:13 UTC

A question concerning HR classes, if you don't mind. As I understood from what was said here in the forum the following cpu/os classes for HR have been set up:

• Windows/Intel PII+PIII
  • Windows/Intel
  • Windows/AMD
  • Linux/Intel
  • Linux/AMD + Linux/Intel PII+PIII (*)
  • Mac/Intel

(*) it appears as if Intel PIII is still grouped together with AMD for the Linux systems, as can be seen here .

Well, what will happen if a system does not fit into either of this classes (still being a compatible x86, though)? The system in question already has a result of a workunit, but what about the other two results of the quorum?

Regards

Alex

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2050 - Posted 11 Jan 2007 18:22:54 UTC - in response to Message ID 2045 .

A question concerning HR classes, if you don't mind. As I understood from what was said here in the forum the following cpu/os classes for HR have been set up:

• Windows/Intel PII+PIII
  • Windows/Intel
  • Windows/AMD
  • Linux/Intel
  • Mac/Intel

Almost correct. The Windows PII/III machines are still grouped with the Windows AMD machines. Based on the outcome of some of your results, we will have to change this though and have separate groups (as you show above).

(*) it appears as if Intel PIII is still grouped together with AMD for the Linux systems, as can be seen here .

That is correct. Intel PII/III and AMD on Linux produce the same results (as can be seen from your example too).

Well, what will happen if a system does not fit into either of this classes (still being a compatible x86, though)? The system in question already has a result of a workunit, but what about the other two results of the quorum?

If a system does not fit into any of these classes, it will get classification 'unknown cpu' or 'unknown os' (or both) and never get work, until we find out that fact and create a class for it (or add it to an existing class). We haven't seen such a case yet though.

Thanks
Andre

Regards

Alex

Volunteer tester

ID: 115
Credit: 1,634,401
Message 2051 - Posted 11 Jan 2007 18:33:43 UTC - in response to Message ID 2045 .

• Windows/Intel PII+PIII
  • Windows/Intel
  • Windows/AMD
  • Linux/Intel
  • Mac/Intel

Regards

Alex

Hi Alex,

I'm guessing that you're talking about the CyrixInstead processor. Only Andre or Memo could tell you for sure, but I do know that they were keying off of the x86 family and model codes. I don't know if they are looking for the GenuineIntel or not but I think they also checked for the word Celeron. I have an old Cyrix machine with RedHat 6 or 7 on it, but I didn't think it would be able to run a work unit, so I never hooked it up. I look forward to seeing how your machine does on Docking and how long it takes to run a workunit. My Cyrix machine hasn't been plugged in for over 2 years, but it was working when it was unplugged.

On the Linux AMD/P-II/P-III situation, I noticed that the three machines validated against each other but, IIRC, that's not always the case. I think it depended on the Linux runtime library. There's a possibility that it was the K6 I'm remembering, though. I'm not at my most coherent right now. I've had a member of my immediate family in the hospital the last couple of days, so my schedule has been crazy and I'm a bit exhausted at the moment. Fortunately things turned out OK.

-- David

Profile David Ball
Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

Message 2052 - Posted 11 Jan 2007 18:37:15 UTC

Well, it looks like Andre was too fast for me and got an answer in while I was editing my reply *grin*

-- David

Memo
Forum moderator
Project developer
Project tester

ID: 14
Credit: 1,666,392
Message 2054 - Posted 11 Jan 2007 19:23:33 UTC - in response to Message ID 2051 .

• Windows/Intel PII+PIII
  • Windows/Intel
  • Windows/AMD
  • Linux/Intel
  • Mac/Intel

Regards

Alex

Hi Alex,

I'm guessing that you're talking about the CyrixInstead processor. Only Andre or Memo could tell you for sure, but I do know that they were keying off of the x86 family and model codes. I don't know if they are looking for the GenuineIntel or not but I think they also checked for the word Celeron. I have an old Cyrix machine with RedHat 6 or 7 on it, but I didn't think it would be able to run a work unit, so I never hooked it up. I look forward to seeing how your machine does on Docking and how long it takes to run a workunit. My Cyrix machine hasn't been plugged in for over 2 years, but it was working when it was unplugged.

On the Linux AMD/P-II/P-III situation, I noticed that the three machines validated against each other but, IIRC, that's not always the case. I think it depended on the Linux runtime library. There's a possibility that it was the K6 I'm remembering, though. I'm not at my most coherent right now. I've had a member of my immediate family in the hospital the last couple of days, so my schedule has been crazy and I'm a bit exhausted at the moment. Fortunately things turned out OK.

-- David

I don't know if we have any cyrix machines attached but it will be interesting to investigate on those; actually I didn't consider these but if anyone has one attached let us know.

On the K6 machines is kind of hard, at the moment, to do testing as we don't have any K6 available at the lab to make tests, but as always we are trying to do something to do testing on that architecture.

I hope that your family member gets better soon.
Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2056 - Posted 11 Jan 2007 22:20:06 UTC - in response to Message ID 2052 .

You're right about the K6 though; that seems to be a stranger in the family who probably needs its own HR group. We don't have many though (I think only 2) so these people will have to wait an eternity for validation...

AK

Well, it looks like Andre was too fast for me and got an answer in while I was editing my reply *grin*

-- David

Volunteer tester

Message 2057 - Posted 11 Jan 2007 23:02:41 UTC - in response to Message ID 2054 .

I don't know if we have any cyrix machines attached but it will be interesting to investigate on those; actually I didn't consider these but if anyone has one attached let us know.

I think Alex has one attached. It's machine number 1315 .
CPU type CyrixInstead x86 Family 6 Model 0 Stepping 0 250MHz
Operating System Microsoft Windows 2000 Standard Server Edition, Service Pack 4, (05.00.2195.00)

I hope that your family member gets better soon.

She's out of the hospital, as of this morning, and recovering nicely. Thanks for asking.

I could dig out my old machine and see if it still works. It would be Linux though. I think it's a Cyrix cpu, but it could be a K6. I think it's 333 MHz.

-- David
Profile Webmaster Yoda
Volunteer tester

Message 2074 - Posted 13 Jan 2007 8:04:14 UTC
Last modified: 13 Jan 2007 8:07:46 UTC

I'm still having problems with my Athlon XP. It completes work units but gets no credit - everything deemed invalid. Have aborted the remaining WU on that computer as it's obviously futile.

http://docking.utep.edu/results.php?hostid=1296

4 work units completed in 11 hours (total), all invalid. Could be the CPU has a problem, but it may also still be HR issue (I notice it has been paired with Athlon 64 and X2 on some of them). It works fine on other projects (but doesn't get used much)

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2079 - Posted 13 Jan 2007 15:19:34 UTC - in response to Message ID 2074 .

I've asked Memo to look into this and see if there are any other similar machines. If necessary, he should come up with a new HR rule.

Thanks for reporting.
Andre

I'm still having problems with my Athlon XP. It completes work units but gets no credit - everything deemed invalid. Have aborted the remaining WU on that computer as it's obviously futile.

4 work units completed in 11 hours (total), all invalid. Could be the CPU has a problem, but it may also still be HR issue (I notice it has been paired with Athlon 64 and X2 on some of them). It works fine on other projects (but doesn't get used much)

Project developer
Project tester

Message 2090 - Posted 14 Jan 2007 19:18:51 UTC

Will look into this. According to my previous tests I conclude that this would be no difference from the other AMDs as I tested on an old Athlon (don't know exactly the model but it was like 1800) and I got the same results as a AMD 64. Will look at those tests again and if possible run some again.

Thanks for pointing out this situation.

Memo
Forum moderator
Project developer
Project tester

Message 2092 - Posted 14 Jan 2007 19:33:00 UTC - in response to Message ID 2074 .

Looking that most of the time you were trying to validate against AMD 64X2 I compared a test that ran on a AMD 64X2 running windows XP against one that ran on a AMD Athlon XP (I think it is a 3000 but might be a 3200) and here are the results:

:~/charmm-test-windows> diff summary-athlon-XP.txt summary-athlon-64X2.txt
:~/charmm-test-windows>

diff in this case would printed any difference but as you can see both are exactly the same. I will repeat the tests again just to be sure but it will take me a couple of days as I did one at a friends house and the other (Athlon XP) on a computer on my wife's work.

Can you think of any other reason why this computer is reporting erroneous results... perhaps it is overclocked or overheating?

(retired account)
Volunteer tester

Message 2095 - Posted 14 Jan 2007 23:11:48 UTC - in response to Message ID 2074 .

4 work units completed in 11 hours (total), all invalid. Could be the CPU has a problem, but it may also still be HR issue (I notice it has been paired with Athlon 64 and X2 on some of them).

This is weird. I have an Athlon XP 2400+ (Thoroughbred, cpu-ID 6.8.1) which often has been validated against K8-class cpus (Athlon 64, X2, Opteron and Turion) and all results of the quorum were valid. I also have an Athlon 64 (Clawhammer, cpu-ID F.4.A) which has been validated against K7-class cpus (Duron, Athlon XP,...) and results of the quorum were valid, too.

If you would like to compare, here's the CPU-Z output of my Athlon XP.

Does your XP 3000+ support SSE2? As far as I remember, some of the latest socket A cpus support SSE2 (mine does not). This would be the only relevant difference I could think of. However, the K8 do also support SSE2, so it would be strange, if this is the reason...

Regards

Alex

My results during the HR tests
(retired account)
Volunteer tester

Message 2096 - Posted 15 Jan 2007 0:00:28 UTC - in response to Message ID 2050 .
Last modified: 15 Jan 2007 0:07:34 UTC

Thank you for your answers, Andre, David and Memo. And sorry for my late reply.

Andrew wrote:

The Windows PII/III machines are still grouped with the Windows AMD machines.

No offense intended, but are you sure? If I check my PIII I see a lot of unsent results missing for completed quorums and all results that have been sent out, were sent to other PII/PIII. (With one expection being the "AuthenticAMD x86 Family 6 Model 4 Stepping 2 1333MHz" processor mentioned here , but this might be an error in HR classification.)

Memo wrote:

As David already discovered, I have one attached. Yes, I confess. Actually, after my K6-III has delivered its result, I exchanged the cpus on the mainboard and gave the old Cyrix a try, out of curiosity.

On the K6 machines is kind of hard, at the moment, to do testing as we don't have any K6 available at the lab to make tests, but as always we are trying to do something to do testing on that architecture.

I have delivered two results with my K6-III up to now, both with 5.03 and one during the recent HR test. Maybe you can make some use of it:

http://docking.utep.edu/results.php?hostid=1130

Concerning HR classification of those cpus I would say: If they fit into a larger group of processors, it would be great. But if they don't, I certainly wouldn't mind if the project would set an Intel PII/PIII or AMD Athlon as minimum hardware requirement . Reasons:

1. AMD K6 will continue to disappear from active computers, Cyrix is almost gone by now.

2. Both have a weak FPU, so there are a number of other BOINC projects where they will perform better.

3. Many of these old cpus are used with Windows 9x, which seems to be not supported by Docking@home anyway, right?

David wrote:
I look forward to seeing how your machine does on Docking and how long it takes to run a workunit.

Well, it is now at ~ 50% after 48 hrs. of crunching time, so it should take another two days. And that's with version 5.04. It's working hard, but still feeling fine. Andrew wrote somewhere else in the forum that charmm is mainly doing floating points and this is exactly the weak spot of the Cyrix (and of the K6-x as well). And then in addition the low clock...

David wrote:
I could dig out my old machine and see if it still works. It would be Linux though. I think it's a Cyrix cpu, but it could be a K6. I think it's 333 MHz.

If it's 333 MHz (real clock) then it should be a K6-2. Cyrix maxed out at 300 MHz, which they called PR433. If it is PR333 (pentium rating) than it could be a Cyrix/IBM like mine, usually running at 250 MHz.

Frankly, I don't expect to get credit for the Cyrix workunit. I guess it will not be sent out to another computer in the next two decades.

Regards

Alex

(retired account)
Volunteer tester

Message 2097 - Posted 15 Jan 2007 0:13:19 UTC - in response to Message ID 2057 .

She's out of the hospital, as of this morning, and recovering nicely.

That's good to hear. My best wishes.

Alex
Profile Webmaster Yoda
Volunteer tester

Message 2098 - Posted 15 Jan 2007 2:10:29 UTC - in response to Message ID 2092 .

Can you think of any other reason why this computer is reporting erroneous results... perhaps it is overclocked or overheating?

It was mildly overclocked (running at 2.26Ghz instead of 2.17) with RAM underclocked (DDR400 running at "DDR348" speed). It's not overheating and works well on other projects. It stil has problems at Docking at stock speed so I don't think the overclock is causing the problems.

RAM has been memtested (even at 433MHz) and had no errors.

It has had some hard-disk issues (which caused it to reboot regularly) but that was sorted out before I ran the Docking work units. It's been running ABC@Home for the last 2 days (at even higher speed) and worked flawlessly.

So it's probably just my computer that has a problem with Docking. Don't waste any more time on it - I will run it on projects where it does work.

(retired account)
Volunteer tester

Message 2100 - Posted 15 Jan 2007 10:21:09 UTC
Last modified: 15 Jan 2007 10:22:39 UTC

Here is another weird invalid result (with Linux application 5.02):

http://docking.utep.edu/workunit.php?wuid=20406

#1 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+; Linux 2.6.17-10-generic; INVALID
#2 AMD Athlon(tm) MP 2400+; Linux 2.6.17-10-generic; VALID
#3 AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 2800+; Linux 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5; VALID

#1 is a K8-class cpu, #2 is a K7-class cpu. I'm not sure about #3, because there have been Semprons with this name for socket A (K7), socket 754 (K8) and socket AM2 (K8).

My system (#2) is running Ubuntu 6.10 without any special tweaks.

Regards

Alex

Profile David Ball
Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

Message 2104 - Posted 15 Jan 2007 15:23:38 UTC - in response to Message ID 2100 .
Last modified: 15 Jan 2007 15:47:16 UTC

#1 is a K8-class cpu, #2 is a K7-class cpu. I'm not sure about #3, because there have been Semprons with this name for socket A (K7), socket 754 (K8) and socket AM2 (K8).

Regards

Alex

I had a look at machine #1 and it has had a mixture of valid and invalid results over the last few days. Since it's Linux, they were all running version 5.02. Aside from that machine possibly having problems, what I'm wondering is how the minimum quorum of 3 machines was met when one of them failed to match the other 2.

-- David

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2105 - Posted 15 Jan 2007 16:19:34 UTC - in response to Message ID 2104 .

David,

this is easy to explain and the way how boinc works. I've asked David Anderson about this a while ago and this was his answer:

-----------------------------------------------------
- If there are at least min_quorum successful results,
the validator is invoked.
- If a strict majority of the successful results agree,
this set is considered "valid" and one of them is chosen
as the canonical result.

So if min_quorum is 3, there are 3 successful results,
and 2 of them agree, they are valid.

This policy is determined by the following line in validate_util2.C:
int min_valid = wu.min_quorum/2+1;
-------------------------------------------------

Simply said, for a quorum of 3, we need 3 successfully returned results, but at least two should be similar and if so will get credit granted.

Cheers
Andre

I had a look at machine #1 and it has had a mixture of valid and invalid results over the last few days. Since it's Linux, they were all running version 5.02. Aside from that machine possibly having problems, what I'm wondering is how the minimum quorum of 3 machines was met when one of them failed to match the other 2.

-- David

ID: 339
Credit: 16,191,581
Message 2107 - Posted 15 Jan 2007 18:10:53 UTC - in response to Message ID 2100 .

Regards

Alex

#1 is mine.....Athlon64 3700+ OC'd 8%, Ubuntu 6.10 all updates, no tweaks.

Now you have called my attention to this one, I see lots of zeros from this computer. I'll check it out and see what the zeros match up to for a common factor.
j2satx
Volunteer tester

Message 2108 - Posted 15 Jan 2007 21:20:38 UTC - in response to Message ID 2107 .

Regards

Alex

#1 is mine.....Athlon64 3700+ OC'd 8%, Ubuntu 6.10 all updates, no tweaks.

Now you have called my attention to this one, I see lots of zeros from this computer. I'll check it out and see what the zeros match up to for a common factor.

I have not found any common factor yet in the results data. Computers this system has been paired with and not validated have also been paired when successful. I've set clock to standard and once pendings are processed, I can see if it is better, worse or the same.
Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2118 - Posted 15 Jan 2007 23:03:43 UTC - in response to Message ID 2108 .

I've set clock to standard and once pendings are processed, I can see if it is better, worse or the same.

I just wanted to propose the same thing: do some tests with standard clockspeed and see what happens. We're definitely interested in those results.
Thanks!
Andre
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2122 - Posted 15 Jan 2007 23:43:46 UTC - in response to Message ID 2096 .

The Windows PII/III machines are still grouped with the Windows AMD machines.

No offense intended, but are you sure? If I check my PIII I see a lot of unsent results missing for completed quorums and all results that have been sent out, were sent to other PII/PIII. (With one expection being the "AuthenticAMD x86 Family 6 Model 4 Stepping 2 1333MHz" processor mentioned here , but this might be an error in HR classification.)

You're right, I was thinking of something else :-) PII/III and AMD have their own groups on windows.

As David already discovered, I have one attached. Yes, I confess. Actually, after my K6-III has delivered its result, I exchanged the cpus on the mainboard and gave the old Cyrix a try, out of curiosity.

Alex, please give me a note when you get some credit (or not) for results crunched by the cyrix machine; We have to find out if it fits in any existing HR groups or will need its own (in which case we'll need some more cyrixes :-)

Thanks
Andre
Volunteer tester

Message 2123 - Posted 16 Jan 2007 11:55:04 UTC - in response to Message ID 2096 .

David wrote:

Alex Wrote:
If it's 333 MHz (real clock) then it should be a K6-2. Cyrix maxed out at 300 MHz, which they called PR433. If it is PR333 (pentium rating) than it could be a Cyrix/IBM like mine, usually running at 250 MHz.

I dragged it out and tried to get it working. The bios says it's a K6-III/333MHz. I tried to get it working, but it won't recognize the Ethernet card anymore and the CPU fan isn't working. It seemed flaky when I tried it so I just scavenged the hard drive and added it to the junk pile. I've now got 3 dead machines that I have to figure out how to get rid of, legally. The trash pickup service won't take them.

-- David

(retired account)
Volunteer tester

Message 2124 - Posted 16 Jan 2007 14:17:00 UTC - in response to Message ID 2123 .

I've now got 3 dead machines that I have to figure out how to get rid of, legally. The trash pickup service won't take them.

Spring last year a new law was introduced here, which made sure that you can get rid of any electronic or electric device at no cost by bringing it to the local recycling service. On the other hand it's now forbidden to dispose it to your own garbage can. Of course, the costs for recycling will sooner or later be paid when buying a new electronic device by some small additional price increase. ;-)

After introduction of this law I brought four old PCs (386-586), two old monitors, one terminal, an old fridge and some smaller stuff (such as keyboards) to the recycling service... :-) And since my last CRT monitor died a few weeks ago, I will be visiting them soon, again.

Maybe you can find a company, which will take the stuff for free and dispose/recycle it.

Regards

Alex
(retired account)
Volunteer tester

Message 2130 - Posted 16 Jan 2007 20:27:57 UTC - in response to Message ID 2122 .
Last modified: 16 Jan 2007 20:42:32 UTC

Alex, please give me a note when you get some credit (or not) for results crunched by the cyrix machine; We have to find out if it fits in any existing HR groups or will need its own (in which case we'll need some more cyrixes :-)

Yep. The other two results of the quorum have been sent in the meantime, too. It's interesting that they have been distributed to two Intel cpus:

GenuineIntel x86 Family 6 Model 5 Stepping 0 232MHz
GenuineIntel x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 3 698MHz

The first should be an old Klamath Pentium II, the second looks like a Coppermine Pentium III or maybe Celeron.

Could it be that the system currently disregards the first (vendor) part of processor name for the HR classification into this HR class? That would explain why "CyrixInstead x86 Family 6 Model 0 Stepping 0 250MHz" and "AuthenticAMD x86 Family 6 Model 4 Stepping 2 1333MHz" are grouped together with some "GenuineIntel x86 Family 6 Model x Stepping x xxxMHz". Only a guess, though.

Anyway, I'm curious if we will get at least two valid results here, let's see...

Regards

Alex

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2132 - Posted 16 Jan 2007 21:09:40 UTC - in response to Message ID 2130 .

All 'Family 6' type cpu's currently are put in the IntelPreP4 HR class (meaning PII's and PIII's). This includes your Cyrix machine as well. We'll have to find out if the Cyrix result matches up with an Intel or an AMD result (or not with anything). This workunit will give us an idea if it fits in the PreP4 group.

Andre

Yep. The other two results of the quorum have been sent in the meantime, too. It's interesting that they have been distributed to two Intel cpus:

The first should be an old Klamath Pentium II, the second looks like a Coppermine Pentium III or maybe Celeron.

Could it be that the system currently disregards the first (vendor) part of processor name for the HR classification into this HR class? That would explain why "CyrixInstead x86 Family 6 Model 0 Stepping 0 250MHz" and "AuthenticAMD x86 Family 6 Model 4 Stepping 2 1333MHz" are grouped together with some "GenuineIntel x86 Family 6 Model x Stepping x xxxMHz". Only a guess, though.

Anyway, I'm curious if we will get at least two valid results here, let's see...

Regards

Alex

ID: 39
Credit: 1,272
Message 2135 - Posted 16 Jan 2007 22:54:23 UTC - in response to Message ID 2130 .

Coppermine Pentium III is correct. Might take a while. It's sharing CPU with CPDN and SETI/AstroPulse Beta
coldshot
Volunteer tester

ID: 306
Credit: 93,007
Message 2250 - Posted 20 Jan 2007 6:12:06 UTC - in response to Message ID 2132 .
Last modified: 20 Jan 2007 6:16:28 UTC

All 'Family 6' type cpu's currently are put in the IntelPreP4 HR class (meaning PII's and PIII's).

I have a Celeron 1200MHz. Which, if my system info is correct is an

x86 family 6 model 11 stepping 1 processor.

But it is still placed in the same class with the P4 CPUs. It completes the WUs successfully but is granted no credit. I guess its the HR problem. I run Windows and Linux both on this computer.

Linux Computer ID 1058 Windows CID 1371

I will let it continue to complete WUs if that helps in any way. If not let me know.
Profile David Ball
Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

Message 2254 - Posted 20 Jan 2007 11:16:23 UTC - in response to Message ID 2250 .
Last modified: 20 Jan 2007 11:17:56 UTC

All 'Family 6' type cpu's currently are put in the IntelPreP4 HR class (meaning PII's and PIII's).

But it is still placed in the same class with the P4 CPUs. It completes the WUs successfully but is granted no credit. I guess its the HR problem. I run Windows and Linux both on this computer.

I will let it continue to complete WUs if that helps in any way. If not let me know.

Is it happening on both Linux and Windows, or just on one of them?

j2satx
Volunteer tester

Message 2256 - Posted 20 Jan 2007 11:33:28 UTC - in response to Message ID 2254 .

Is it happening on both Linux and Windows, or just on one of them?

I checked...it is both. 1058 (Linux) hasn't hit the server since 01/04.
j2satx
Volunteer tester

Message 2257 - Posted 20 Jan 2007 11:34:04 UTC - in response to Message ID 2250 .

Were you running this dual boot?
coldshot
Volunteer tester

Message 2258 - Posted 20 Jan 2007 11:55:30 UTC - in response to Message ID 2257 .

For the last two weeks or so I've only had Windows installed. With Linux I only had 7 out of 35 successfully completed WUs granted credit. So far with Windows 6 completed WUs with 5 zero credit and one pending.
j2satx
Volunteer tester

Message 2260 - Posted 20 Jan 2007 12:54:06 UTC - in response to Message ID 2258 .

For the last two weeks or so I've only had Windows installed. With Linux I only had 7 out of 35 successfully completed WUs granted credit. So far with Windows 6 completed WUs with 5 zero credit and one pending.

Interesting, your computer just changed from 1371 to 1374. Did you reinstall BOINC?
j2satx
Volunteer tester

Message 2261 - Posted 20 Jan 2007 12:58:29 UTC - in response to Message ID 2258 .

For the heck of it, install the recommended client instead of 5.8.0 and see if that works.
(retired account)
Volunteer tester

Message 2262 - Posted 20 Jan 2007 13:05:24 UTC - in response to Message ID 2250 .
Last modified: 20 Jan 2007 13:08:28 UTC

But it is still placed in the same class with the P4 CPUs.

This appears to be a 'Tualatin' Celeron, so it is based on the latest version of the Pentium III. I agree, that it should be paired with Pentium II/Pentium III instead. I haven't seen another Tualatin until now, but it's more likely to produce valid results when validated against the Intel 'Family 6' processors:

If you look on this workunit from early december where your Celeron (running Linux) was grouped together with a P4 and a PIII, you can see that it has been validated ok against the PIII (and the P4 received zero credits).

I think the problem is the processor name string here, which is provided by BOINC. On the first glimpse, you can not tell from the string "GenuineIntel
Intel(R) Celeron(TM) CPU 1200MHz" what architecture it is. It could be Pentium III, Pentium 4 or even Pentium M based. Only the frequency gives a hint, but when it comes to mobile computers, the frequency could be anything.

IMHO it would be much easier for homogenous redundancy classification, if BOINC would provide the vendor string (like "GenuineIntel") together with the CPU ID (something like "6.11.1") instead of the processor name string ("Intel(R) Celeron(TM) CPU 1200MHz"), because the combination of vendor and CPU ID is completely conclusive. In addition, the BIOS version and operating system should not have any effect on the CPU ID.

Regards

Alex

(retired account)
Volunteer tester

Message 2263 - Posted 20 Jan 2007 13:07:47 UTC - in response to Message ID 2260 .

Interesting, your computer just changed from 1371 to 1374.

LOL. And I thought where are all those results I have seen just a few minutes ago...
j2satx
Volunteer tester

Message 2264 - Posted 20 Jan 2007 13:23:19 UTC - in response to Message ID 2263 .

LOL. And I thought where are all those results I have seen just a few minutes ago...

Yep, I was in the middle of looking at them and poof......
coldshot
Volunteer tester

Message 2265 - Posted 20 Jan 2007 14:29:21 UTC - in response to Message ID 2263 .

I reinstalled Windows and then Boinc. That accounts for the change in CIDs.
(retired account)
Volunteer tester

Message 2266 - Posted 20 Jan 2007 15:43:42 UTC - in response to Message ID 2250 .

Let's see what Andre and the Docking team are saying about this. But in case there is no easy solution on their side, it might be quite easy to solve the problem under Windows with a registry hack.

It seems BOINC is reading the CPU name on each start from the Windows registry and writes it then to the client_state.xml. I have just changed the name stored there to complete nonsense, stopped BOINC and restarted it again. And now I have an "AMD la la la Processor 50 GHz" instead of my usual "AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+":

Screenshot

The cpu name is send to the server apparently on each connect. I had a SIMAP workunit already uploaded (before I changed the name in the registry), then I issued the update command for SIMAP and ... uhm ... here's the result:

SIMAP computer summary

Disclaimer: Changes to the registry are risky. You are completely on your own doing it. I take no responsibility at all. :-)

And please do not mess with it, if you don't have a reason at all. ;-) I will change it back later, to avoid further confusion. I hope you are all serious enough not to misuse this information. :-)

My point is: If you change your cpu name in the registry to something like "x86 Family 6 Model 11 Stepping 1 1200MHz" then your computer should be grouped together with the other PII / PIII. I don't know, however, if Windows is keeping the registry entry on a reboot. And it could effect other software, which is reading this registry datum.

But my recommendation: Let's wait for Andre's opinion about that, maybe the registry hack can be avoided.

Regards

Alex
Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2270 - Posted 20 Jan 2007 16:31:43 UTC - in response to Message ID 2262 .

Yeah, the celerons are a big problem for us (and boinc) as you point out in this post. They only thing we can filter on is the string in the p_model field of a host record and for Celeron (pre or post P4) this is always Celeron blabla. I agree that the frequency is not a good thing to filter on as well (although it might be our only possibility for now) since it is not 100% conclusive.

Alex, I'll post the version string possibility on the boinc_dev list. See what the devs think of that idea.

If anybody has any good ideas for a server-side solution, please let us know. We'll keep looking for one too of course.

Thanks
Andre

This appears to be a 'Tualatin' Celeron, so it is based on the latest version of the Pentium III. I agree, that it should be paired with Pentium II/Pentium III instead. I haven't seen another Tualatin until now, but it's more likely to produce valid results when validated against the Intel 'Family 6' processors:

If you look on this workunit from early december where your Celeron (running Linux) was grouped together with a P4 and a PIII, you can see that it has been validated ok against the PIII (and the P4 received zero credits).

I think the problem is the processor name string here, which is provided by BOINC. On the first glimpse, you can not tell from the string "GenuineIntel
Intel(R) Celeron(TM) CPU 1200MHz" what architecture it is. It could be Pentium III, Pentium 4 or even Pentium M based. Only the frequency gives a hint, but when it comes to mobile computers, the frequency could be anything.

IMHO it would be much easier for homogenous redundancy classification, if BOINC would provide the vendor string (like "GenuineIntel") together with the CPU ID (something like "6.11.1") instead of the processor name string ("Intel(R) Celeron(TM) CPU 1200MHz"), because the combination of vendor and CPU ID is completely conclusive. In addition, the BIOS version and operating system should not have any effect on the CPU ID.

Regards

Alex

Volunteer tester

ID: 15
Credit: 56,614
Message 2274 - Posted 20 Jan 2007 17:32:48 UTC - in response to Message ID 2270 .

So far I don't have an idea for the server side solution, because as you know the information around CPU is claimed with client_state.xml. One thing I can imagine is, making participants choose which Celeron their hosts are running through docking@home preference or something like that.

PS great testing, alex! keep up nice work:)

suguruhirahara

Yeah, the celerons are a big problem for us (and boinc) as you point out in this post. They only thing we can filter on is the string in the p_model field of a host record and for Celeron (pre or post P4) this is always Celeron blabla. I agree that the frequency is not a good thing to filter on as well (although it might be our only possibility for now) since it is not 100% conclusive.

Alex, I'll post the version string possibility on the boinc_dev list. See what the devs think of that idea.

If anybody has any good ideas for a server-side solution, please let us know. We'll keep looking for one too of course.

Thanks
Andre

Regards

Alex

I'm a volunteer participant; my views are not necessarily those of Docking@Home or its participating institutions.
(retired account)
Volunteer tester

Message 2298 - Posted 22 Jan 2007 10:03:14 UTC - in response to Message ID 2265 .

I reinstalled Windows and then Boinc. That accounts for the change in CIDs.

Hello Cold Shot,

according to this result you are using BOINC 5.8.3. Would you mind posting the content of the <p_capabilities> tags in the file client_state.xml of your BOINC directory to this thread ?

It might help finding a solution to the 'Celeron' problem...

Thanks

Alex
(retired account)
Volunteer tester

Message 2299 - Posted 22 Jan 2007 10:07:12 UTC - in response to Message ID 2266 .

SIMAP computer summary

... is back to 'normal' in the meantime.

My point is: If you change your cpu name in the registry to something like "x86 Family 6 Model 11 Stepping 1 1200MHz" then your computer should be grouped together with the other PII / PIII. I don't know, however, if Windows is keeping the registry entry on a reboot.

Windows overwrites this registry entry on the next reboot. Which makes sense, otherwise the operating system would never notice a cpu upgrade. :-)

Alex
(retired account)
Volunteer tester

Message 2387 - Posted 3 Feb 2007 22:39:22 UTC - in response to Message ID 2122 .

Hello Andre,

the quorum of the Cyrix M2 workunit is now complete. It has been validated against two Pentium II/III-class processors and was deemed invalid in comparison to those:

Workunit ID 20898

Well, if it is not too much of an effort, you could check it against the K6 results in the database, maybe it fits there.

I also have a Pentium MMX crunching which hopefully finishes its workunit tomorrow. Maybe this one also fits into the K6 class or is compatible with the Cyrix M2. Currently it shares a quorum with two Pentium 4 D, I do not expect it will be validated ok against them:

Workunit ID 23162

Regards

Alex

Message 2388 - Posted 3 Feb 2007 23:04:17 UTC - in response to Message ID 2051 .

I look forward to seeing how your machine does on Docking and how long it takes to run a workunit.

Hello David,

it is not very good at crunching for Docking@home even on clock-per-clock basis. The Cyrix M2 @ 250 MHz needed ~ 4 days for the workunit, on the same mainboard the AMD K6-III @ 400 MHz needs only ~ 1,5 days (both with application version 5.04). I switched back to the K6-III for now.

Regards

Alex
Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2390 - Posted 4 Feb 2007 3:48:55 UTC - in response to Message ID 2387 .

Hello Andre,

the quorum of the Cyrix M2 workunit is now complete. It has been validated against two Pentium II/III-class processors and was deemed invalid in comparison to those:

Workunit ID 20898

Well, if it is not too much of an effort, you could check it against the K6 results in the database, maybe it fits there.

I checked in it also doesn't compare to the K6. Sorry... I am actually completely redesigning the HR rules also based on the new boinc client info we get back. It's kind of complex because we have to be able to catch both 'old' client and 'new' client strings. But I can hopefully deploy these new rules on Docking by monday. Maybe we should be the first project that will ask for boinc client 5.8.8 as a minimum :-) Will make life much easier! But only when the linux client is released too of course.

I also have a Pentium MMX crunching which hopefully finishes its workunit tomorrow. Maybe this one also fits into the K6 class or is compatible with the Cyrix M2. Currently it shares a quorum with two Pentium 4 D, I do not expect it will be validated ok against them:

Workunit ID 23162

No I don't expect that one to validate based on the current and previous experience. If you want to suspend that one for now, that would be fine by me. Pentium MMX is a Family 5 model and those do not exist in the current HR rules, but will be there in the new set.

Cheers
Andre

Message 2392 - Posted 4 Feb 2007 14:33:39 UTC - in response to Message ID 2390 .
Last modified: 4 Feb 2007 14:34:15 UTC

I checked in it also doesn't compare to the K6.

Ok. I'd say if it does not fit into a larger group, you shouldn't bother about it. It's very rare.

No I don't expect that one to validate based on the current and previous experience. If you want to suspend that one for now, that would be fine by me. Pentium MMX is a Family 5 model and those do not exist in the current HR rules, but will be there in the new set.

No problem. I try to let it finish. It looks as if it would take ~ 3 days per workunit, which is not that bad at only 166 MHz core clock (most RAM is clocked higher today).
Even without credit for me you will get a result which you can compare if necessary. Since far more Pentium MMX have been sold than Cyrixes for example, I guess there's a chance that a few more will show up later, even if they are quite slow. At least there have been boards for dual Pentium MMX with up to 512 MB RAM, those could still do some crunching.

Regards and have a nice sunday.

Alex
(retired account)
Volunteer tester

Message 2416 - Posted 6 Feb 2007 23:56:18 UTC - in response to Message ID 2387 .
Last modified: 6 Feb 2007 23:56:35 UTC

I also have a Pentium MMX crunching which hopefully finishes its workunit tomorrow. (...)

Workunit ID 23162

It's ready now, took a bit longer than first indicated. As expected it was deemed invalid against the two Pentium 4 D.

Regards

Alex
Profile clownius
Volunteer tester

ID: 280
Credit: 2,677
Message 2672 - Posted 5 Mar 2007 10:16:48 UTC
Last modified: 5 Mar 2007 10:20:08 UTC

Just out of interest where does a Celeron M 1.4Ghz fall in the HR classes? its on Linux and i was considering throwing a portion of it Docking's way if it falls under the Linux Intel banner as i think you have all the Linux AMD's you need correct?

Oh by the way i threw a pair of Linux Intel's at the project and i hope to have a Linux AMD back in some time this week.

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2673 - Posted 5 Mar 2007 14:50:27 UTC - in response to Message ID 2672 .

Celeron on Linux would be HR class 258 (Linux on Intel).
Thanks!
AK

Just out of interest where does a Celeron M 1.4Ghz fall in the HR classes? its on Linux and i was considering throwing a portion of it Docking's way if it falls under the Linux Intel banner as i think you have all the Linux AMD's you need correct?

Oh by the way i threw a pair of Linux Intel's at the project and i hope to have a Linux AMD back in some time this week.

ID: 79
Credit: 411,959
Message 2687 - Posted 8 Mar 2007 21:19:26 UTC

I just recieved your email regarding update to the new BOINC-version because of too less info in the older versions. I don't quite understand that, what's missing in this:

AuthenticAMD
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2200+ [fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow ts]

It's been created with my 5.8.8.
I don't like to run after every new issue, I'd change once something really new arrived, (and the step from 5.4.5 to 5.8.8 was something like it, but 5.8.8 -> 5.8.11 hardly seems worth the hassle).
Is it really necessary?
Profile Rebirther
Volunteer tester

ID: 52
Credit: 69,033
Message 2688 - Posted 8 Mar 2007 21:43:45 UTC

I have 5.8.7 running and dont need new update because this is stable for me.

@Saenger: Only newer CPUs got an update in further versions (Core2duo I think) but my old P4 doesnt changed in any ID.

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2690 - Posted 8 Mar 2007 23:28:10 UTC - in response to Message ID 2687 .

The reason is that only from 5.8.17 the linux client provides the Family/Model/Stepping information (which is missing in your info below). Your model string would look something like:

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2200+ [Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 5][fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow ts]

We'd like to base our HR rules on the Family/Model/Stepping information as this is consistent over platforms.

For now please do not upgrade, because 5.8.17 seems to have problems that we did not notice initially. We'll ask people to upgrade again when the latest stable Linux client is released.

Thanks
Andre

I just recieved your email regarding update to the new BOINC-version because of too less info in the older versions. I don't quite understand that, what's missing in this:
AuthenticAMD
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2200+ [fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow ts]

It's been created with my 5.8.8.
I don't like to run after every new issue, I'd change once something really new arrived, (and the step from 5.4.5 to 5.8.8 was something like it, but 5.8.8 -> 5.8.11 hardly seems worth the hassle).
Is it really necessary?

ID: 29
Credit: 18,991
Message 2694 - Posted 9 Mar 2007 8:15:38 UTC - in response to Message ID 2690 .

For now please do not upgrade, because 5.8.17 seems to have problems that we did not notice initially. We'll ask people to upgrade again when the latest stable Linux client is released.

What is the problem with 5.8.17? The change to glibc 2.4 is likely to be permanent in the official versions.

ID: 114
Credit: 2,817,648
Message 2695 - Posted 9 Mar 2007 8:52:33 UTC - in response to Message ID 2694 .

What is the problem with 5.8.17? The change to glibc 2.4 is likely to be permanent in the official versions.

Right. It's not so much a problem, as a change. The glibc change is the fix to the benchmark problem for linux clients. Linux users need to upgrade to 2.4.
Volunteer tester

ID: 343
Credit: 1,669,741
Message 2697 - Posted 9 Mar 2007 9:47:39 UTC

I have changed to 5.8.15 at my remote site, (as I happen to be here today), as all machines there are running XP. I'll try at home, but last time, I had trouble with my NT4 system, it seems less stable with the 5.8.x versions.

Augustine
Volunteer tester

ID: 5
Credit: 143,502
Message 2699 - Posted 9 Mar 2007 15:24:12 UTC - in response to Message ID 2695 .

The glibc change is the fix to the benchmark problem for linux clients. Linux users need to upgrade to 2.4.

I'm curious about this. Do you have more information about it?

TIA

ID: 114
Credit: 2,817,648
Message 2701 - Posted 9 Mar 2007 20:05:28 UTC - in response to Message ID 2699 .

The glibc change is the fix to the benchmark problem for linux clients. Linux users need to upgrade to 2.4.

I'm curious about this. Do you have more information about it?

Just what I've been reading on the alpha mailing list. Most of it is over my head, but I was able to understand the reason behind the change.
Volunteer tester

ID: 4
Credit: 1,539,093
Message 2707 - Posted 10 Mar 2007 21:31:38 UTC - in response to Message ID 2694 .

What is the problem with 5.8.17?

Linux 5.8.17 is not reporting the full processor information.

Look at the list of top hosts and there are a bunch just being reported as 'AuthenticAMD' or 'GenunineIntel' without all the other capabilities.
Profile suguruhirahara
Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

ID: 15
Credit: 56,614
Message 2711 - Posted 12 Mar 2007 12:33:59 UTC - in response to Message ID 2707 .

What is the problem with 5.8.17?

Linux 5.8.17 is not reporting the full processor information.

Look at the list of top hosts and there are a bunch just being reported as 'AuthenticAMD' or 'GenunineIntel' without all the other capabilities.

Don't the other versions report it, too, or just this version?

suguruhirahara

I'm a volunteer participant; my views are not necessarily those of Docking@Home or its participating institutions.
Profile adrianxw
Volunteer tester

Message 2716 - Posted 13 Mar 2007 8:16:34 UTC

Seems it is something of an ongoing issue .

Rene
Volunteer tester

ID: 160
Credit: 109,415
Message 2721 - Posted 19 Mar 2007 6:34:24 UTC
Last modified: 19 Mar 2007 6:45:30 UTC

Just checked my inbox and stumbled (11 days to late) on the emails that were send regarding the use of the latest boinc client.
My bad... I just forgot to press the F5 button while looking at the inbox.
I'm using Thunderbird for my webmail accounts and... not long enough it seems to make it a habit to refresh once in a while.

;-)

Back to the request (and cancelled..)
I'm using 5.8.2 on my linux box... for some reason this is the one that looks to run stable on my Athlon.
Have tried others that were created after the (alpha) release of 5.8.2, but somehow they were not working as they should.

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 2722 - Posted 19 Mar 2007 15:32:23 UTC - in response to Message ID 2721 .

Hi Rene,

Could you give some more details on 'but somehow they were not working as they should'? Are the later clients crashing on your Athlon's?

Thanks
Andre

Just checked my inbox and stumbled (11 days to late) on the emails that were send regarding the use of the latest boinc client.
I'm using Thunderbird for my webmail accounts and... not long enough it seems to make it a habit to refresh once in a while.

;-)

I'm using 5.8.2 on my linux box... for some reason this is the one that looks to run stable on my Athlon.
Have tried others that were created after the (alpha) release of 5.8.2, but somehow they were not working as they should.

Message 2723 - Posted 19 Mar 2007 17:35:42 UTC - in response to Message ID 2722 .
Last modified: 19 Mar 2007 17:40:46 UTC

I've tried 5.8.15 and 5.8.17 and ran into a random freeze of the x-server.
Started while running (or should I say... trying to run...) Rosetta.
Some of the wu's there are "screaming" for memory and at first I thought that was the problem.
Later on... Rosetta wu's were crunched and reported... a freeze also occured while running Seti. A day later also the system frooze while running a Docking wu.

So opened up the casing of the pc... checked all... ran a mem-test, but all seemed OK. After that I went back to 5.8.2 and a previous Linux-kernel.
Problems went away and after crunching some Docking and Seti-beta wu's I went back to using the latest kernel.

So in short it looked like 5.8.15 and 5.8.17 were the cause of the problem.
Last week I did reinstall Ubuntu and the Athlon is now running on Kubuntu(2.6.17-11-generic kernel).
When all goes well I will retry installing 5.8.15.

(fingers crossed... and hoping it won't end up with the same problems)

;-)

Hi Rene,

Could you give some more details on 'but somehow they were not working as they should'? Are the later clients crashing on your Athlon's?

Thanks
Andre

;-)

Message 2724 - Posted 19 Mar 2007 18:08:10 UTC

Ok to be on the safe side (I hope...) just installed 5.8.16.
Athlon now is recognized as:

AuthenticAMD
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+ [Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0][fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up ts]

Will report back....

;-)

Profile adrianxw
Volunteer tester

Message 2725 - Posted 20 Mar 2007 8:23:40 UTC

From another thread at another project, I have noticed that practically identical hardware can show different capabilities lists.

GenuineIntel
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz [x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 5] [fpu tsc sse sse2 mmx]

GenuineIntel
x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 2800MHz [x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9] [fpu mmx]

These 2 machines are both Intel 2.8GHz Northwood C processors running the same BOINC core. The slightly more developed chip, (stepping 9), shows less capability then the older mark.

Marky-UK
Volunteer tester

ID: 29
Credit: 18,991
Message 2726 - Posted 20 Mar 2007 11:45:43 UTC - in response to Message ID 2725 .

From another thread at another project, I have noticed that practically identical hardware can show different capabilities lists.

GenuineIntel
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz [x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 5] [fpu tsc sse sse2 mmx]

GenuineIntel
x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 2800MHz [x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9] [fpu mmx]

These 2 machines are both Intel 2.8GHz Northwood C processors running the same BOINC core. The slightly more developed chip, (stepping 9), shows less capability then the older mark.

You haven't mentioned the OS for each of those. For example, SSE will not be reported by a client running on NT4.

ID: 350
Credit: 2,944
Message 2804 - Posted 26 Mar 2007 1:30:30 UTC

I posted this in another thread but I'll post it here so it's understood. It's the *compiler* not the c library that helps the benchmarks. GCC 4.1.2 doesn't care which version of glibc that you link against. However, whoever built 5.8.17, built it with a distro that happens to have glibc 2.4. You *can* build against glibc 2.3 and still get the benchmark increase from GCC 4.1 as long as they use a distro that happens to have GCC 4.1 and glibc 2.3. I'm trying to impress this on the BOINC build team but there hasn't been much activity as of late on the list.

- John Watzke

Rene
Volunteer tester

Message 2807 - Posted 26 Mar 2007 5:22:10 UTC - in response to Message ID 2724 .
Last modified: 26 Mar 2007 5:22:51 UTC

Ok to be on the safe side (I hope...) just installed 5.8.16.
Athlon now is recognized as:

AuthenticAMD
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+ [Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0][fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up ts]

Will report back....

;-)

5.8.16 has done the trick for my Athlon... it's running without any problems.
System remains stable under Docking, Malaria and Seti-beta.

;-)

ID: 170
Credit: 138,735
Message 2832 - Posted 27 Mar 2007 22:19:15 UTC

:-) quite a difference in the badges shown for 'nix vs 'doze my palimino (266 Mhz bus) amd's show 26 vs 5 badges respectively.

my newest pc,nix;

Processor: 2 AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ [fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy

{cut off probibly why it doesnt send 2 server, will upgrade when i have time )

vs. 'doze

AuthenticAMD
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ [x86 Family 15 Model 75 Stepping 2] [fpu tsc pae nx sse sse2 3dnow mmx]

looks like 1 more thing linux does better ;-)

Profile adrianxw
Volunteer tester

Message 3221 - Posted 2 May 2007 9:03:39 UTC

No credit for this wu and flagged as invalid. Another HR issue?

Profile David Ball
Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

Message 3222 - Posted 2 May 2007 13:55:58 UTC - in response to Message ID 3221 .

It could also be a checkpointing issue since the result shows it restarted from a checkpoint twice.

The other machines were Core 2 machines. Has anyone noticed a problem when matching a Pentium-M against a Core 2 ?

Does 5.07 use any of the advanced features of the Core 2 that aren't on the Pentium M 1.86GHz ?

-- David

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 3223 - Posted 2 May 2007 14:13:21 UTC - in response to Message ID 3222 .

Must be something else; I did some database queries on andrianxw's results and he has been matches with Core2's all the time and validated. For example this wu . He restarted from a checkpoint multiple times there as well. The new checkpointing is also pretty robust and we have not seen many problems with it up to now.

Thanks
Andre

It could also be a checkpointing issue since the result shows it restarted from a checkpoint twice.

The other machines were Core 2 machines. Has anyone noticed a problem when matching a Pentium-M against a Core 2 ?

Does 5.07 use any of the advanced features of the Core 2 that aren't on the Pentium M 1.86GHz ?

-- David

ID: 293
Credit: 57,379
Message 3250 - Posted 6 May 2007 4:54:23 UTC

I have a invalid WU paired against 2 P3 class systems here .

I have 2 more WU that was paired against P3 class system, which would undoubtly fail also.

My machine is a mildly overclocked Core class system, 9*350(3150) 2GB @ 435Mhz 64 bit linux. I have not had errors in other projects nor validation failures against other Core class systems in Docking.

BobCat13
Volunteer tester

ID: 239
Credit: 285,322
Message 3251 - Posted 6 May 2007 14:07:27 UTC - in response to Message ID 3250 .
Last modified: 6 May 2007 14:08:35 UTC

I have 2 more WU that was paired against P3 class system, which would undoubtly fail also.

My machine is a mildly overclocked Core class system, 9*350(3150) 2GB @ 435Mhz 64 bit linux. I have not had errors in other projects nor validation failures against other Core class systems in Docking.

You are running boinc 5.8.15, which doesn't include the Family/Model/Stepping info. Try installing version 5.8.17 , as that includes the Family/Model/Stepping info for HR.
Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 3253 - Posted 6 May 2007 15:46:44 UTC - in response to Message ID 3250 .

Could you send the cpuinfo of your machine to dockingadmin@utep.edu or post it here? That will give us the family/model/stepping info; we might have to adjust our HR rules. To get that info enter: cat /proc/cpuinfo in a terminal and copy the output.

Thanks
Andre

ID: 293
Credit: 57,379
Message 3257 - Posted 6 May 2007 23:05:28 UTC - in response to Message ID 3251 .

processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 15
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @ 2.40GHz
stepping : 7
cpu MHz : 3150.108
cache size : 4096 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 4
core id : 0
cpu cores : 4
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 10
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall nx lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips : 6302.25
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

heres the cpuinfo. I have chopped out the last 3 cores for space reasons.

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 3258 - Posted 7 May 2007 1:20:41 UTC - in response to Message ID 3257 .

Thanks. This will help making our HR rules better!

AK

processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 15
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @ 2.40GHz
stepping : 7
cpu MHz : 3150.108
cache size : 4096 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 4
core id : 0
cpu cores : 4
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 10
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall nx lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips : 6302.25
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

heres the cpuinfo. I have chopped out the last 3 cores for space reasons.

Message 3270 - Posted 11 May 2007 8:43:52 UTC

Another wu with zero credit, Pentium M 1.86GHz crunched beside Core 2's
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 3279 - Posted 12 May 2007 21:26:37 UTC - in response to Message ID 3270 .

Thanks. It seems that we have to kick or the pentium-M or de Core2 out of the hr group.

Andre

Another wu with zero credit, Pentium M 1.86GHz crunched beside Core 2's

Project developer
Project tester

Message 3288 - Posted 13 May 2007 7:08:51 UTC
Last modified: 13 May 2007 7:10:04 UTC

I have some C2D and they have been validating correctly. Now I wonder if there is a difference among the 3 C@D cores: Allendale, Conroe, Merom

[edit]

not to mention Kentsfield, the quad-core

Profile Conan
Volunteer tester

ID: 100
Credit: 4,256,493
Message 4087 - Posted 23 Jun 2008 2:13:55 UTC

Are we using this feature on Docking ??
My AMD Linux machines have been paired with Intel Vista machines and my AMD XP machine has been paired with an AMD Linux machine.
In all cases the one machine has not validated against two of the other type machines. In fact the odd one out often just errors out.

Profile Arun
Volunteer tester

ID: 379
Credit: 10,385
Message 4091 - Posted 23 Jun 2008 3:26:43 UTC - in response to Message ID 4087 .
Last modified: 23 Jun 2008 3:27:19 UTC

Are we using this feature on Docking ??
My AMD Linux machines have been paired with Intel Vista machines and my AMD XP machine has been paired with an AMD Linux machine.
In all cases the one machine has not validated against two of the other type machines. In fact the odd one out often just errors out.

Hi Conan,
Thanks for your message. We are using homogeneous redundancy. We will check the results and see where the problem is.

Thanks
Arun

Message boards : Number crunching : Homogenous Redundancy?

Database Error
: The MySQL server is running with the --read-only option so it cannot execute this statement
array(3) {
  [0]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(47) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/db_conn.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(97)
    ["function"]=>
    string(8) "do_query"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#91 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(198) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(1) {
      [0]=>
      &string(51) "update DBNAME.thread set views=views+1 where id=106"
    }
  }
  [1]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(48) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/forum_db.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(60)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#91 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(198) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(3) {
      [0]=>
      object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
        ["id"]=>
        string(3) "106"
        ["forum"]=>
        string(1) "2"
        ["owner"]=>
        string(3) "271"
        ["status"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["title"]=>
        string(22) "Homogenous Redundancy?"
        ["timestamp"]=>
        string(10) "1214191603"
        ["views"]=>
        string(4) "3251"
        ["replies"]=>
        string(2) "85"
        ["activity"]=>
        string(19) "1.897375257083e-103"
        ["sufferers"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["score"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["votes"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["create_time"]=>
        string(10) "1164029073"
        ["hidden"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["sticky"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["locked"]=>
        string(1) "0"
      }
      [1]=>
      &string(6) "thread"
      [2]=>
      &string(13) "views=views+1"
    }
  }
  [2]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(63) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/user/community/forum/thread.php"
    ["line"]=>
    int(184)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(11) "BoincThread"
    ["object"]=>
    object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
      ["id"]=>
      string(3) "106"
      ["forum"]=>
      string(1) "2"