Forum moderator
Project developer
Project tester

ID: 4109
Credit: 4,397
RAC: 0
Message 4699 - Posted 13 Jan 2009 4:21:10 UTC

Hey Everyone,

I'm Brian, one of the students who worked on the website redesign and the person responsible for the implementation. As you can see, we spent quite a few hours working with the old website, user requests, staff requests, and some usability research to create the new, unified design. Hopefully you like it!

You should know that the code base is much different from the standard BOINC code/templates. So expect to find oddball bugs in various places (especially with forms, I need to rewrite a lot of them still).

Please feel free to post comments/suggestions/bugs/feature requests to this thread.

~Brian

Lucas Newman

ID: 1053
Credit: 338
Message 4700 - Posted 13 Jan 2009 4:39:33 UTC

my god....it's beautiful.

</horn tooting>

Hi, I'm lucas, I was also on the team responsible for the redesign. Just stopping in to say I hope you all enjoy the new site!

btw, A huge portion of the credit goes to Brian, he wrote an enormous amount of the code for this project, going above and beyond the requirements of the class.

j2satx
Volunteer tester

ID: 339
Credit: 16,191,581
Message 4701 - Posted 13 Jan 2009 5:01:23 UTC

The tables under Status, Distribution should be the same height.

P . P . L .

ID: 2725
Credit: 1,000,979
Message 4702 - Posted 13 Jan 2009 5:29:12 UTC

Hi guys & girls(maybe).

Looks fresh and clean, well done.

pete.

Profile Paul D. Buck

ID: 419
Credit: 354,387
Message 4703 - Posted 13 Jan 2009 6:59:03 UTC

I posted a note in NC about the fact that you moved things around and now I cannot attach because of a missing file ...

Other than that, I agree the form looks nice, the issue is that if you are rewriting all the pages you are making a long term maintenance nightmare for the project. Making changes for changes sake is nice, but if you make your site a customization of all the pages of the standard BOINC stuff that means that as they make changes you now have to make similar changes ...

Before you get too deep, my advice is to rethink a little to avoid too much code rewrite if possible ... I may be too late, but, I hate to see the project invest so much in a new design that means that you have such a different code base that you radically increase maintenance costs ...

I would suggest looking at the use of CSS if possible to make the site look like this (if possible) ... or that you localize the code changes so that as they migrate the code base that you can just drop their stuff in and your customization stays intact ...

One other thought is that if you *CAN* isolate your changes in this way you might be able to convince UCB to take your change to the code so that other projects can do similar customizations ...

Profile Conan
Volunteer tester

ID: 100
Credit: 4,256,493
Message 4704 - Posted 13 Jan 2009 11:14:45 UTC

Not a bad effort, Brian and Lucas,
Very good in fact.

One issue I have is that I can no longer look at work units to see what type they are and how they processed the data,
I get an error saying "URL not found".
This is on all work units, so the URL links are all broken.
Access to my account is fine and getting to the 'Tasks' page is ok, just unable to look at work unit results and the work unit itself.

Matthias Lehmkuhl

ID: 801
Credit: 151,820
Message 4705 - Posted 13 Jan 2009 11:37:30 UTC

for me the same -> Workunit and Result links are broken,

wuid=2555396
Not Found

The requested URL /community/workunit.php was not found on this server.

and

resultid=2704180
Not Found

The requested URL /community/result.php was not found on this server.

Profile Cori
Volunteer tester

ID: 90
Credit: 5,817
Message 4706 - Posted 13 Jan 2009 12:17:32 UTC

Hey everyone, belated Happy New Year! ;-)

I like the new website design even though I miss the old logo banner a bit. *grin*
Very well readable and everything is easily accessible - well done!

I have only one wish: maybe you can enable a wider layout for those of us who have a big screen resoltion?
I'll post a link to a screenshot and you'll see what I mean... ;-))

--> http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/5506/dhnewwebsiteif5.png

Profile Trilce Estrada
Forum moderator
Project administrator
Project developer
Project tester

ID: 119
Credit: 1,217,236
Message 4707 - Posted 13 Jan 2009 17:43:57 UTC - in response to Message ID 4705 .
Last modified: 13 Jan 2009 19:00:48 UTC

Hi all,

Thank you for your comments, we will try to address all of them as soon as we can. For those that are simple I will fix them, some other may need to be fixed by Brian who is now the most familiar with the Web site, but he can do it only after 5 EST, so, please be patient and keep telling us what do you want to change/improve etc.

Cori,
We need to be sure that the old logos are still accessible from a web page, they where with us since we started this effort and they deserve to be here too.

Matthias and Conan,
Now you should be able to find out the type of result and workunit

Paul,
Its a good observation, lets Brian to address your concern

Peter,
Thank you, the guys and girls in the redesign team put a lot of effort. Now Brian is conducting the migration and he is also working hard.

J2satx
That script is old and inaccurate, it would need some major changes

Lucas and Brian,
Thank you for the good work

Nekto

ID: 3006
Credit: 1,945
Message 4711 - Posted 14 Jan 2009 5:25:19 UTC

can't accept friend request

Not Found

The requested URL /account/friend.php was not found on this server.
Apache/2.2.6 (Fedora) Server at docking.cis.udel.edu Port 80

Profile Brian Flad
Forum moderator
Project developer
Project tester

Message 4712 - Posted 14 Jan 2009 5:28:44 UTC

Cori,
We need to be sure that the old logos are still accessible from a web page, they where with us since we started this effort and they deserve to be here too.

I'll be happy to put up the old logos again. Credit where credit is due! I'll get this up tomorrow evening.

Matthias and Conan,
Now you should be able to find out the type of result and workunit

Thanks for fixing this Trilce. :)

Paul,
Its a good observation, lets Brian to address your concern

It's actually not as bad as you might think at the current time. Most of the new website is wrapped around the new CSS file and header information. I've had to make very few changes to the underlying BOINC include files (to support multiple directories, display the news, etc).

Most of the changes are going to be rewriting the forms/pages to make them more user friendly (I personally strongly dislike the "Unable to handle request" error handling / see the create account form for what I think is better for handling bad submissions) and actually use function calls rather than the spaghetti code (Model/View/Controller all together) that's in there now. I'll be more than happy to answer more concerns about this at a later time.

Peter,
Thank you, the guys and girls in the redesign team put a lot of effort. Now Brian is conducting the migration and he is also working hard.

We appreciate the compliments, thank you. :)

J2satx
That script is old and inaccurate, it would need some major changes

Ahh yes. This one is pretty nasty. This actually runs off the original BOINC include files (and a couple deep I might add). I can go ahead and fix it, but I consider it low priority (and plus it means me editing the old BOINC include files, which I'm trying to avoid if possible).

That's all for now. Keep the comments/suggestions/bugs/requests coming please!

~Brian
Profile Brian Flad
Forum moderator
Project developer
Project tester

Message 4713 - Posted 14 Jan 2009 6:51:31 UTC - in response to Message ID 4711 .

Not Found

Can you please post the page/form that got you here? Thanks a lot.

ID: 794
Credit: 258
Message 4714 - Posted 14 Jan 2009 14:13:15 UTC
Last modified: 14 Jan 2009 14:20:29 UTC

Guys,
This website is pretty incredible. To be very honest, its absolutely stunning! You guys have done an incredible job, well done to all involved for your hard work!

I have one request and i hope you will give it some serious thought;

BOINC is open-source software and it is BOINC software that has made the Docking@home project possible. None of the BOINC developers, including Dave.A have ever had the time, or the skills to produce incredible website design like you have produced here.

When you have ironed out the bugs and things are running smoothly with this website, take the time to produce a "Generic copy" of the files associated with this website template. Modify the "Generic copy" to remove the "Docking@home" specific images and other stuff. Substitute them with other general generic science images. Then give back to the BOINC community by submitting the code to Dave.A for use as the default project website for new projects.

Your work on the website in excellent, well done to all! I hope you will take the time to share this incredible work.

John.
www.unitedboinc.com

P.S. The new "Hello! You are logged in as: MyName" is very cool, its on every page, super!. A cool optional feature would be a "Who's online" and says something like "There are 98 guests online".

Profile Brian Flad
Forum moderator
Project developer
Project tester

Message 4716 - Posted 14 Jan 2009 16:47:13 UTC - in response to Message ID 4714 .

Guys,
This website is pretty incredible. To be very honest, its absolutely stunning! You guys have done an incredible job, well done to all involved for your hard work!

I have one request and i hope you will give it some serious thought;

BOINC is open-source software and it is BOINC software that has made the Docking@home project possible. None of the BOINC developers, including Dave.A have ever had the time, or the skills to produce incredible website design like you have produced here.

When you have ironed out the bugs and things are running smoothly with this website, take the time to produce a "Generic copy" of the files associated with this website template. Modify the "Generic copy" to remove the "Docking@home" specific images and other stuff. Substitute them with other general generic science images. Then give back to the BOINC community by submitting the code to Dave.A for use as the default project website for new projects.

Your work on the website in excellent, well done to all! I hope you will take the time to share this incredible work.

John.
www.unitedboinc.com

P.S. The new "Hello! You are logged in as: MyName" is very cool, its on every page, super!. A cool optional feature would be a "Who's online" and says something like "There are 98 guests online".

That was an extremely nice message, John! From the beginning, a few of the Docking@Home staff were pushing this idea of recreating the template for other BOINC projects. As the website stands right now, this is actually more of a proof-of-concept for the new design and structure. There are numerous places where the code needs to be revamped, especially dealing with some of the forms and errors. I would have to say that getting these changes into a code base that can be used as a template will be a few months off (based on my personal schedule). Me and the Docking@Home staff are definitely interested in giving this work back to the community at large.

As for your PS suggestions, I like them. I'll put some thought into the best way to accomplish them and let you if/when it will be implemented. Thank you very much!

ID: 794
Credit: 258
Message 4720 - Posted 14 Jan 2009 21:17:18 UTC
Last modified: 14 Jan 2009 21:25:16 UTC

Thank you Brian,
I'm sure you guys will do an excellent job ironing out the snags in the forms. I well understand that this can be time consuming to perfect!

Paul D.Buck mentioned this already, if you can, try to keep rough notes about how many pages are changed. But don't let the code go so far out of line with the BOINC source code that they can never be merged. If it goes too far out of line, you guys will get tired and it will just be too large of a job to isolate the changes and they won't be submitted as a result.

Maybe contact David A. soon and make the suggestion to him. See if he is open to the suggestion and how you can work together on this.

Thank you Brian for you hard work!, the Docking@home users, and the BOINC community in general very much appreciate your hard work!

If you like, i can get you a general code for "Who's online", zip the files and email them to you. Let me know if you need help.

John.

Nicolas
Volunteer tester

ID: 17
Credit: 29,510
Message 4721 - Posted 14 Jan 2009 22:07:52 UTC

You changed your master URL again ??

Rapture

ID: 1291
Credit: 7,445
Message 4723 - Posted 15 Jan 2009 2:41:47 UTC - in response to Message ID 4699 .

What a surprise! I was not expecting to see a different layout. This is truly one giant leap for Docking@Home, one small step for docking! I love the new layout. As expected, a website design is always a work in progress that is never finished.

By the way, it seems that the avatar feature on this forum does not work. Is this a bug?

Profile Paul D. Buck

ID: 419
Credit: 354,387
Message 4726 - Posted 15 Jan 2009 3:46:12 UTC

@Brian,

I sometimes worry when I see an effort like this where substantial changes are made and as others commented below, well, if the changes are too substantial they can get you out of synch and become a burden. Which is the only point I was trying to make ...

IN BOINC Beta I offered, for example, to make the entire web package W3C and CSS friendly and was told to go away as it was not important ... well, maybe so ... but, compliance with standards does make things work better ...

I applaud efforts to make improvements and I can only hope that UCB will not rebuff you if you make a generic package that can be folded back into the code base so that others can benefit from your work.

One of the failures in the BOINC world is that far too many times the wheel is reinvented and there is resistance to making it so that the next projects out of the box do not have to spend the time redoing the same things that you are doing ...

Having expirimented with CSS I know, for example, that were BOINC Web Templates more friendly to them many projects could make simple changes to the CSS templates and produce radically different looking sites with zero changes to the underlying code base ...

Anyway, I am never that far away and plenty of people have my e-mail address (as does your database) feel free to contact me as I may or may not be looking at these forums in the future ... health and 50+ projects (and sadly docking projects are not high on my list of interesting projects, sorry about that...) means that at times I don't look at any projects ...

If PM is working I usually set it to notify me so you can try that too I guess ...

Flint Ced_Weng

ID: 4069
Credit: 43,192
Message 4735 - Posted 17 Jan 2009 4:48:28 UTC - in response to Message ID 4700 .

my god....it's beautiful.

</horn tooting>

Hi, I'm lucas, I was also on the team responsible for the redesign. Just stopping in to say I hope you all enjoy the new site!

btw, A huge portion of the credit goes to Brian, he wrote an enormous amount of the code for this project, going above and beyond the requirements of the class.

I cannot find any place on the page to join new member to my team can you help

Message 4736 - Posted 17 Jan 2009 4:50:38 UTC

I cannot Find anyplace for new members to join my team any help ?

Profile Inais
Volunteer tester

ID: 95
Credit: 110,790
Message 4737 - Posted 17 Jan 2009 8:12:53 UTC - in response to Message ID 4711 .

Not Found

Same here http://docking.cis.udel.edu/account/friend.php?action=query&userid=217

ID: 33
Credit: 50,659
Message 4739 - Posted 17 Jan 2009 13:24:42 UTC

Wow! I love the new website!
But I would love it much more if I could merge my computers... ;-)

[AF>Suisse] mathieuS

ID: 4401
Credit: 752,413
Message 4740 - Posted 17 Jan 2009 13:40:21 UTC

I experienced a bug when I tried to login.

How to reproduce it :

* Log out if you are logged in
* Go to the message board
* Open a topic
* Try to get logged in
You should now see an error message, even if you are correctly logged in.

Mathieu

Profile Michela
Forum moderator
Project administrator
Project developer
Project tester
Project scientist

ID: 10
Credit: 97,083
Message 4743 - Posted 17 Jan 2009 20:11:17 UTC - in response to Message ID 4740 .

How to reproduce it :

* Open a topic
* Try to get logged in

Mathieu

Hi, the three issues listed below in the thread are at the top of our to-do list.

Thanks,

Michela
Volunteer tester

ID: 115
Credit: 1,634,401
Message 4752 - Posted 18 Jan 2009 17:53:31 UTC

I found a slight bug. It's on the top right part of the screen, where it says "Hello! You are logged in as:" and has a line with your name.

If you go to the "Server Status" page, it changes from your name to someone else's name. When you move to any other page, it's back to showing your name again. For instance, the server status page just told me that my name was Mike Francis and a few minutes later, it said Marc Braun. I suspect this is due to the server status page being cached and showing the name of the last visitor at the time it was cached.

BTW, the new site looks wonderful.

Bob and Claudia Weidman

ID: 4029
Credit: 211,752
Message 4753 - Posted 18 Jan 2009 23:36:04 UTC

I'm not so sure it is working correctly yet. I kept requesting around 8600 seconds of work and got nothing for hours. The work unit I did get was supposed to be around 2 1/2 hours until completion and it was "done" in less than 5 minutes. Now it had to ask several times again before getting a wu (although it didn't take as long to get one this time.) It is a 10-hour and 22-minute wu. I'll see how quickly it gets done.

Nicolas
Volunteer tester

ID: 17
Credit: 29,510
Message 4754 - Posted 18 Jan 2009 23:51:42 UTC - in response to Message ID 4753 .

I'm not so sure it is working correctly yet. I kept requesting around 8600 seconds of work and got nothing for hours.

That's unrelated to the new website though. There is currently no work available in the project. I'm not sure if anyone announced there would be any work soon...

ID: 4029
Credit: 211,752
Message 4757 - Posted 19 Jan 2009 1:25:50 UTC

Ah, thanks for the info.

P . P . L .

ID: 2725
Credit: 1,000,979
Message 4758 - Posted 19 Jan 2009 3:48:34 UTC

Hi.

Might be a silly question but where have the list of targets from the old front page gone to, i can't find them.

pete.

Profile The Uncle B's

ID: 5042
Credit: 8,996,638
Message 4760 - Posted 19 Jan 2009 17:25:47 UTC - in response to Message ID 4754 .

I'm not so sure it is working correctly yet. I kept requesting around 8600 seconds of work and got nothing for hours.

That's unrelated to the new website though. There is currently no work available in the project. I'm not sure if anyone announced there would be any work soon...

So, when will this come back?

Profile Brian Flad
Forum moderator
Project developer
Project tester

Message 4763 - Posted 19 Jan 2009 22:34:37 UTC - in response to Message ID 4758 .

Hi.

Might be a silly question but where have the list of targets from the old front page gone to, i can't find them.

pete.

Hey Pete,

These can actually be found on the About > Science page (http://docking.cis.udel.edu/about/science). I just added all the targets that were on the "all targets" page including the Trypsins and HIV Proteases. Please let me know if you have any more trouble.
Forum moderator
Project developer
Project tester

Message 4765 - Posted 19 Jan 2009 22:46:04 UTC - in response to Message ID 4740 .

How to reproduce it :

* Open a topic
* Try to get logged in

Mathieu

Hi Mathieu,

I believe this bug should be fixed. Please let me know if you experience any more issues. Thanks!
Forum moderator
Project developer
Project tester

Message 4766 - Posted 19 Jan 2009 22:59:08 UTC - in response to Message ID 4737 .

Not Found

Same here http://docking.cis.udel.edu/account/friend.php?action=query&userid=217

Sorry about these - the issues should be fixed with friending and the friend emails. Please let me know if you experience any other trouble. Thanks
Forum moderator
Project developer
Project tester

Message 4767 - Posted 20 Jan 2009 0:32:30 UTC - in response to Message ID 4739 .

Wow! I love the new website!
But I would love it much more if I could merge my computers... ;-)

Merging and host modification should be fixed. Please let me know if you have any more issues. Thanks!
Forum moderator
Project administrator
Project developer
Project tester
Project scientist

Message 4768 - Posted 20 Jan 2009 0:59:51 UTC - in response to Message ID 4736 .

Hi,

Please look at http://docking.cis.udel.edu/community/team/.

To join a team, visit its team page and click "Join this team".

Best wishes,

Michela

Message 4772 - Posted 21 Jan 2009 22:55:35 UTC - in response to Message ID 4768 .

Michela when my friend go to my team page it has no spot to join my team whats up with this>? Thanks Flint
Hi,

Best wishes,

Michela

Project developer
Project tester
Project scientist

Message 4773 - Posted 22 Jan 2009 15:55:06 UTC - in response to Message ID 4772 .

Michela when my friend go to my team page it has no spot to join my team whats up with this>? Thanks Flint
Hi,

Best wishes,

Michela

I can get to the webpage of your team and I have the link "Join this team". Does you friend has the link and he has the problem when he click on the link OR does he has no link?

Michela

ID: 12755
Credit: 58,532
Message 5074 - Posted 10 Jun 2009 8:46:08 UTC

Hi,
there is a problem in team_lookup function using team_id parameter to get team stats in xml format. I get a blank page. For example:

http://docking.cis.udel.edu/team_lookup.php?team_id=486

but with team_name parameter the page seems to work:

http://docking.cis.udel.edu/team_lookup.php?team_name=BOINC.Italy

Can you fix this? :)

Tnaks!

Steven Meyer

ID: 12091
Credit: 130,335
Message 5075 - Posted 10 Jun 2009 21:19:51 UTC

The links from the Notification section of the " Your Docking@Home account " page, are returning . . .

Not Found

The requested URL /account/community/forum/thread.php was not found on this server.

For example "High Priority" Strikes Again .

ID: 12091
Credit: 130,335
Message 5164 - Posted 16 Jul 2009 17:26:13 UTC - in response to Message ID 5075 .

The links from the Notification section of the " Your Docking@Home account " page, are returning . . .

Not Found

The requested URL /account/community/forum/thread.php was not found on this server.

For example "High Priority" Strikes Again .

This is still not working .
Click HERE to see an example of the error messages.

Message boards : Web site : New Docking@Home Website

Database Error
: The MySQL server is running with the --read-only option so it cannot execute this statement
array(3) {
  [0]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(47) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/db_conn.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(97)
    ["function"]=>
    string(8) "do_query"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#45 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(186) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(1) {
      [0]=>
      &string(51) "update DBNAME.thread set views=views+1 where id=383"
    }
  }
  [1]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(48) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/forum_db.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(60)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#45 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(186) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(3) {
      [0]=>
      object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
        ["id"]=>
        string(3) "383"
        ["forum"]=>
        string(2) "10"
        ["owner"]=>
        string(4) "4109"
        ["status"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["title"]=>
        string(24) "New Docking@Home Website"
        ["timestamp"]=>
        string(10) "1247765173"
        ["views"]=>
        string(4) "1507"
        ["replies"]=>
        string(2) "39"
        ["activity"]=>
        string(19) "5.1598388625841e-87"
        ["sufferers"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["score"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["votes"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["create_time"]=>
        string(10) "1231820470"
        ["hidden"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["sticky"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["locked"]=>
        string(1) "0"
      }
      [1]=>
      &string(6) "thread"
      [2]=>
      &string(13) "views=views+1"
    }
  }
  [2]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(63) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/user/community/forum/thread.php"
    ["line"]=>
    int(184)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(11) "BoincThread"
    ["object"]=>
    object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
      ["id"]=>
      string(3) "383"
      ["forum"]=>
      string(2) "10"