Posts by UBT - Timbo

1)

Message boards : Number crunching : HELP - Consistant 0% Progress - Client Problem?

( Message 6904 )
Posted 1763 days ago by Profile UBT - Timbo
Hi all,

I just posted in another thread on this forum (url="http://docking.cis.udel.edu/community/forum/thread.php?id=499") that I've got the same issue:

Docking WU's are just spinning their wheels and Progress stays at 0.000%.

I've aborted the WU's and hope that someone, somewhere on this project can fix this issue, as it seems to have been problematic for about 3 years now (earliest post was in 2009 !!).

I can't see that it's a client issue, as there's seems to be no "constant" throughout the reports made on here.....Win and Linux are affected, various versions of BOINC Manager are noted, and different types of PC's, with different CPU's.

It seems to me to be a WU related issue ?

regards
Tim
Founder, UK BOINC Team
2)

Message boards : Windows : After XXX hours, progress is 0.00%

( Message 6903 )
Posted 1763 days ago by Profile UBT - Timbo
I'm also seeing this problem... I came to a Windows XP/SP3 machine running BOINC 6.2.28 (and has been running it fine for years) only to discover it had been crunching the same 2 work units for nearly 80 hours with 0.000% progress and no checkpoints logged on the Messages tab
<snip>

I've just tried to crunch some Docking WU's.

I use an old Pentium P4 dual core running at 3GHz and Win XP Pro.

Latest BOINC Manager is used (7.0.28) and I have NO issues crunching other projects. (SETI, DistrRTGen, Collatz, etc)

But on Docking, I have the same issues - it runs the WU, the time elapsed increases but the Progress indicator stays at 0.000%.

One clue might be this: WHen a Docking WU is running and I click on "Show Graphics" I get a new window open that says "Protein": "No Model Formed Yet" and "Resources": "Percentage Complete 0%".

As this issue seems to have been going on for at least 2 years, I can only assume that D@H do not have the man-power to fix it.

Also, their website is painfully slow and the FAQ is way out of date.

So, I for one won't be crunching any more Docking WU's until some fixes are made (as I'd prefer my PC's to be doing good work for a "up to date" project, rather than spinning their wheels, for no apparent reason on D@H).

regards
Tim
Founder, UK BOINC Team
3)

Message boards : Number crunching : Strange message after completing WU

( Message 1889 )
Posted 3879 days ago by Profile UBT - Timbo
Sorry didn't get that part of the wu being completed on your side.

There is a file called 1tng_mod0001_15475_229379_1_3 in your projects/docking.utep.edu directory. Any change you can email that file to dockingadmin@utep.edu? Do you have any info as why that file couldn't be uploaded at that time? What was the computer doing at that moment? Was it connected to the network?
Andre

Hi Andre,

OK, I still get this message:
26/12/2006 07:32:11|Docking@Home|Temporarily failed upload of 1tng_mod0001_15475_229379_1_2: transient upload error

And answering your questions:
>Any chance you can email that file to dockingadmin@utep.edu?
Will email you what I think are the four result files.

>Do you have any info as why that file couldn't be uploaded at that time?
Nope, must have happened overnnight a few nights ago, when the first attempt to upload the result file was made. Been stuck ever since and is persistent, as have re-started PC and BOINC a few times since and it's still "stuck".

>What was the computer doing at that moment?
Crunching mainly....!

>Was it connected to the network?
Yes, on ADSL, and other WU's are being processed and uploaded OK, so PC and network connection seems fine. Maybe "just one of those things"...?

regards,

Tim
4)

Message boards : Number crunching : zero credits for valid result??

( Message 1882 )
Posted 3880 days ago by Profile UBT - Timbo
Hi,

I too have noticed that one of my hosts has spent time on Docking WU's and has been awarded zero credits when producing valid resuilts.

http://docking.utep.edu/workunit.php?wuid=12518

Time: 36,792.44 - Credits earned: 80.71 - Credits awarded: 0.00

http://docking.utep.edu/workunit.php?wuid=12545

Time: 36,473.42 - Credits earned: 80.73 - Credits awarded: 0.00

and while I'm happy for these to be "one-off's", as a Team founder, I'm concerned that the project is issuing WU's which may continue to offer no reward.

And as churlish as it might seem, people do expect projects to get it right and to offer some incentive for members....

So, I truly hope that:
1) This issue is resolved soonest
2) Past zero credit WU's are rewarded correctly.

If this can happen, then more crunchers will consider joining up to this project and more research can be done.

So, please make this a New Years resolution for 2007....?

regards

Tim
Founder, UK BOINC Team
5)

( Message 1881 )
Posted 3880 days ago by Profile UBT - Timbo
Since this WU is in progress, you are the only one who can see what is happening on your host. Looks like a problem with the boinc client, because Charmm doesn't upload/download any files in the middle of a computation.

Andre

Hi Andre,

Err....understand, but my BOINC Manager claims the WU is 100% complete.....so while "in progress" from the project point of view, it's "completed" from my point of view.

And I have a 229.96kb "result" file that cannot be uploaded, due to the error reported....

I can email you the file, if it's of use to you, or delete it...as you will be sending out the same WU to complete the quorum anyways.....

regards and seasons greetings,

Tim

6)

( Message 1875 )
Posted 3881 days ago by Profile UBT - Timbo
Hi,

I see this in my Windows BOINC Manager (v5.7.2) Messages screen:

24/12/2006 19:57:51|Docking@Home|Error on file upload: socket read incomplete: asked for 16382, got 0: No such file or directory

As such, what do I do? - I can't upload it manually, and the WU has been crunched for 10+ hours and I'd hate to have to delete or abort...!

The WU file is called:
1tng_mod0001_15475_229379_1_2

and this is the WU:
http://docking.utep.edu/workunit.php?wuid=17665

regards

UBT - Timbo
Founder, UK BOINC Team

7)

Message boards : Cafe Docking : Logo Poll

( Message 906 )
Posted 3960 days ago by Profile UBT - Timbo
Cori !!
8)

Message boards : Team Invites and Sigs : UK BOINC Team

( Message 44 )
Posted 3983 days ago by Profile UBT - Timbo
A nice team of already over 650 members, all crunching on many and varied BOINC projects.

Visit our website here:

http://www.ukboincteam.org.uk/uk-boinc-team.html

And join in the fun, as we assist all of the various BOINC projects, by using YOUR computer to help do some REAL scientific research.

regards

Tim
Founder, UK BOINC Team
9)

Message boards : Number crunching : Too Many WUs!

( Message 28 )
Posted 3983 days ago by Profile UBT - Timbo
Hi all,

Like others here, I too attached and "behind my back" found afterwards that BOINC had downloaded 144 WU's all supposedly of 9 mins 31 seconds "to completion".

Shame is that after 2 hours and 20 mins of continuous crunching (on a 3GHz P4 w/HT), I've only completed 30% of the 1st 2 WU's.....!

So it'll take me the next 432 hours (on 24/7 basis) to complete all of these WU's if I let them go to 100% and assuming they all take about 6 hours to complete.

So your Sept 12th "message" on your home page that says:

"Also our workunits currently take around 1.5 hours on an Intel P4 3GHz PC"

should be amended, if my example is typical.....!

In the meantime, good luck with your project - you'll certainly have our Teams support...!

regards

Tim
Founder, UK BOINC Team