Rac's on the rise?

Advanced search

Message boards : Number crunching : Rac's on the rise?

Sort
anthonmg

ID: 9657
Credit: 17,959,472
RAC: 0
Message 5154 - Posted 15 Jul 2009 18:27:37 UTC

Has anyone noticed that racs seem to be on the rise lately? My long-time system has shown a steady increase since July 6th, but I haven't done anything to it. . .just been running it as usual. Then about a week ago I tossed 8 more cores at Docking and my RAC has been steadily rising as a result, but my position top users has remained static this whole time, with all the other users around me increasing at about the same rate. I doubt ALL of us got new computers. Is something up?

Profile Sport

ID: 2971
Credit: 2,251,852
Message 5159 - Posted 16 Jul 2009 0:23:12 UTC - in response to Message ID 5154 .

Has anyone noticed that racs seem to be on the rise lately? My long-time system has shown a steady increase since July 6th, but I haven't done anything to it. . .just been running it as usual. Then about a week ago I tossed 8 more cores at Docking and my RAC has been steadily rising as a result, but my position top users has remained static this whole time, with all the other users around me increasing at about the same rate. I doubt ALL of us got new computers. Is something up?

your RAC is an average over the past 60 days...so until your 60 is up, on any machine you won't stabilize... the rest of us (SeriousCrunchers) have been coming and going so our RACs are always in limbo! I'm going to try and keep my 'Core Group' Crunching Docking ...my Satellite machines are scattered everywhere.... These 4 or 5 should net me at around 2600>2800 RAC; we'll see...Welcome aboard SeriousCrunchers.net!

BTW Orakk is throwing in with us here; and I'm bringing some power back so you'll have some company ...

anthonmg

Message 5161 - Posted 16 Jul 2009 1:24:31 UTC - in response to Message ID 5159 .

That's the thing, it had been stable for quite some time and suddenly just began to increase with a sharp up-turn. Initially it was with my core workstation that jumped from a steady state around 2800 to just over 3080 since july 6th. Interestingly I've been adding more computer power lately but my position in the ranks is slipping daily. Realize part of that might be due to the laptop (two cores) getting about 1/4 the credit/WU that it should for the last week or so, but in general it seems like a lot of people are seeing a sudden rise in RAC.

Profile Sport

Message 5168 - Posted 17 Jul 2009 2:19:43 UTC - in response to Message ID 5161 .
Last modified: 17 Jul 2009 2:33:42 UTC

That's the thing, it had been stable for quite some time and suddenly just began to increase with a sharp up-turn. Initially it was with my core workstation that jumped from a steady state around 2800 to just over 3080 since july 6th. Interestingly I've been adding more computer power lately but my position in the ranks is slipping daily. Realize part of that might be due to the laptop (two cores) getting about 1/4 the credit/WU that it should for the last week or so, but in general it seems like a lot of people are seeing a sudden rise in RAC.

I just brought a lot of machines back online here ...or split here and elsewhere...an 'Improved RAC' is good for me ....but I still think it has to do with machine movements within an account ...but I could be wrong AGAIN!!!

your project ratings are computed on your RAC ...{depending on the project ...Docking is persnickety)...if you add a few 'ZERO' history machines ...your RAC is going to drop

SO your observation ...really makes no sense ....I'll look into this farther!!

In the mean time ....the Calvary is here to help ...Orakk: SUJO: Sport(Dat B ME)

and I'm not sure you else is SLAMMING Docking!

According to DC-Vault.com and our Docking Stats ..as well as other Stat Sites SeriousCrunchers.net are sitting at around ...what??? 26?? and climbing!!! GREAT JOB for just a few of us here ...

Profile Sport

Message 5171 - Posted 17 Jul 2009 4:21:28 UTC - in response to Message ID 5168 .

I just brought a lot of machines back online here ...or split here and elsewhere...an 'Improved RAC' is good for me ....but I still think it has to do with machine movements within an account ...but I could be wrong AGAIN!!!

your project ratings are computed on your RAC ...{depending on the project ...Docking is persnickety)...if you add a few 'ZERO' history machines ...your RAC is going to drop..then climb

SO your observation ...really makes no sense ....I'll look into this farther!!

In the mean time ....the Calvary is here to help ...Orakk: SUJO1: Sport(Dat B ME):Ted(TLD): and Prwguru (just will not stay outta the chase!) ...so SC@Docking; though sitting pretty, Boinc wide; should hit top 15 or 'top10' by the time the 'Travelers' get bored with it ...{sorry! facts of crunching}

and I'm not sure who else is SLAMMING Docking!

According to DC-Vault.com and our Docking Stats ..as well as other Stat Sites SeriousCrunchers.net@ Docking are sitting at around ...what??? 26?? and climbing!!! GREAT JOB for just a few of us here ...

anthonmg

Message 5186 - Posted 17 Jul 2009 19:04:04 UTC - in response to Message ID 5171 .

It's not making sense because I may not have explained clearly: I'm not referring to the status of other people on SC.

I added two more new machines and they're RACs are steadily rising. My total is going up. However, my PERSONAL position in the ranks stayed the same as everyone else nearby me in the ranks also saw THEIR RACs rise by a similar level to my own. Strange as I doubt the ALL added 8 more cores to their account.

Then I started to slip backwards in the ranks. I found out that was because one of my computers got a bad benchmark value and was receiving 1/4 the credit for the same amount of work it had always been doing. I've now fixed that and that computer is on the rise again (it had been over 700 but is now donw at 300. . .poor laptop. . .).

This rise in everyone's RAC also seems to have occured at about the time of the fraudulent benchmarks so I called attention to it in case the situations were linked. It's not important and I'm more interested in seeing the results of the science anyway, so at this point, never mind.

anthonmg

Message 5187 - Posted 17 Jul 2009 19:05:55 UTC - in response to Message ID 5171 .

That was th eother thing as well, my workstation, which has equilibrated and remained steady for a while now at around 2800 (just for the workstation, not overall) jumped up about 200 points starting July 6th. Nothing changed, and this would not have been affected by other computers coming on or off the project. . .the node itself saw a sudden rise. I now understand the issues around benchmark-based credit so it's possible it just got a really good benchmark that time around.

Cluster Physik

ID: 14795
Credit: 16,067,012
Message 5188 - Posted 17 Jul 2009 19:45:42 UTC - in response to Message ID 5186 .
Last modified: 17 Jul 2009 19:55:52 UTC

I added two more new machines and they're RACs are steadily rising. My total is going up. However, my PERSONAL position in the ranks stayed the same as everyone else nearby me in the ranks also saw THEIR RACs rise by a similar level to my own. Strange as I doubt the ALL added 8 more cores to their account.

Then I started to slip backwards in the ranks.

I can tell you the guys around you (me included) added a lot more than 8 cores. It were about 40 in my case ;)
I see 8 people on the top 20 users page who joined just two weeks ago. Six of them have already overtaken you (RAC, not total), so I guess that may be very well the reason. Nothing fishy going on there :)

Notably, the days all those guys joined also mark a steep increase of the total output of the project :D

Profile Scientific Frontline

ID: 8725
Credit: 788,015
Message 5226 - Posted 18 Jul 2009 19:33:21 UTC
Last modified: 18 Jul 2009 19:36:58 UTC

Yep same with TPR members, anywhere from 12 to 100 cores added by many members.
Sorry anthonmg.
But your team is looking awesome!
Happy Crunching SC
Heidi

Recognized by the Carnegie Institute of Science . Washington D.C.

Message boards : Number crunching : Rac's on the rise?

Database Error
: The MySQL server is running with the --read-only option so it cannot execute this statement
array(3) {
  [0]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(47) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/db_conn.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(97)
    ["function"]=>
    string(8) "do_query"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#14 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(72) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(1) {
      [0]=>
      &string(51) "update DBNAME.thread set views=views+1 where id=449"
    }
  }
  [1]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(48) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/forum_db.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(60)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#14 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(72) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(3) {
      [0]=>
      object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
        ["id"]=>
        string(3) "449"
        ["forum"]=>
        string(1) "2"
        ["owner"]=>
        string(4) "9657"
        ["status"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["title"]=>
        string(18) "Rac's on the rise?"
        ["timestamp"]=>
        string(10) "1247945601"
        ["views"]=>
        string(3) "199"
        ["replies"]=>
        string(1) "8"
        ["activity"]=>
        string(22) "4.6067782589971004e-86"
        ["sufferers"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["score"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["votes"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["create_time"]=>
        string(10) "1247682457"
        ["hidden"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["sticky"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["locked"]=>
        string(1) "0"
      }
      [1]=>
      &string(6) "thread"
      [2]=>
      &string(13) "views=views+1"
    }
  }
  [2]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(63) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/user/community/forum/thread.php"
    ["line"]=>
    int(184)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(11) "BoincThread"
    ["object"]=>
    object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
      ["id"]=>
      string(3) "449"
      ["forum"]=>
      string(1) "2"