Advanced search

Message boards : Number crunching : Boycott

Sort
Profile Scientific Frontline

ID: 8725
Credit: 788,015
RAC: 0
Message 5845 - Posted 25 Mar 2010 13:28:27 UTC

Due to the lack of response I will be getting in touch with the top 20 teams and set up a one week boycott.

The plan is everyone set to NNW and abort all present units.

That is the thought if no response is given today.
It is time for us to show that we are the project and deserve the respect of a reply.

No this does not mean I am dropping Docking.

If you are a team founder please contact me with your thoughts so we can coordinate the boycott
Heidi-Ann Kennedy

Recognized by the Carnegie Institute of Science . Washington D.C.

Profile 7ri9991 [MM]

ID: 10169
Credit: 304,285
Message 5850 - Posted 26 Mar 2010 10:05:10 UTC

At least one member of SETI.USA won't be participating in the boycott.

Message 5852 - Posted 26 Mar 2010 14:27:57 UTC - in response to Message ID 5850 .
Last modified: 26 Mar 2010 14:59:03 UTC

At least one member of SETI.USA won't be participating in the boycott.

That is ok... Some people like being treated like crap.
Many from the top 2 teams will, wonder if thousands of aborted units will at least get a response.

Many may think this is being childish, but really this is just about common courtesy and respect. They still refuse to acknowledge in any form or fashion.
Ok some think this is just VR volunteering, but it is not! Many hours of actual time and effort is put into crunching. Especially you with large farms.
Even a simple canned response such as "We are aware of the issues, and sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused" would have sufficed.
This is total lack of respect!

Profile 7ri9991 [MM]

Message 5855 - Posted 26 Mar 2010 19:18:33 UTC

Sorry, haven't been around to know that I was being treated like crap. I haven't had any problems, but then again, I run linux. I guess if I ran Windows I would have a slightly different attitude. I'd just move on until the app's fixed.

DoubleTop

ID: 9044
Credit: 26,873,788
Message 5857 - Posted 26 Mar 2010 19:23:30 UTC - in response to Message ID 5855 .

Sorry, haven't been around to know that I was being treated like crap. I haven't had any problems, but then again, I run linux. I guess if I ran Windows I would have a slightly different attitude. I'd just move on until the app's fixed.

it's just luck of the drawer, if you didn't ask for new units in the problem few days as now posted by Trilce, then I doubt you would see a problem. The issue was server side with space, so the units were not being generated correctly.

A response is here, as such my machines will be set to get new work as soon as I can get to them on Monday. Without the community and volunteers the project would not exist, and problems could never be fixed either !!

DT.
Profile Trilce Estrada
Forum moderator
Project administrator
Project developer
Project tester

ID: 119
Credit: 1,217,236
Message 5860 - Posted 26 Mar 2010 20:19:12 UTC

Hey guys, sorry for not coming back to you soon, it's been a really busy month and it's hard to keep the pace with the forums, I try to put notes in the news, but I have to agree, the message there was not really helpful.

I know you deserve a more complete explanation, so here I go: we had the problem of space in docking at the beginning of the month. We usually keep the same distribution rate and the daemons are able to periodically clean the partitions and keep sufficient space free for the data. However, during the first week of March we changed the docking model, that model was making bigger files and shorter workunits. It was like a silent monster awaiting for Sunday night to make its damage. So, indeed, during that weekend the partition got completely full resulting in the creation of several empty or truncated workunits. Most of them crashed and sent back immediately the error message. It was very hard to make the diagnostic and solve the problem because the symptoms of the crashes were very different from each other. But finally we narrow down to the space of the download partition and were able to solve the problem.

We keep several machines here at the university running D@H as well as some testers, and unfortunately none of them had the problem, so, I assume all of those nasty workunits had already been reported as crashed during the following few days. As you and some other volunteers mentioned here, some are still around in the form of 0% progress, I guess that depends on how the input file was truncated. There is no other solution than abort them. The new workunits (problem free) have a name with the word 'crossdocking' the old ones should say 'model0013b'

Now, that said, I want you to know that all of you, even the smallest contributor, are very important for us and we don't take you for granted. We try to keep the project distributing/validating constantly and problems free, but that is not always possible, as in this sad case.

We cannot promise you that we won't have more problems in the future, but we can assure you that we work hard to minimize their effect in our volunteers. I will also try to keep a more effective communication with all of you.

I hope you reconsider your decision and stay with us.

Message 5868 - Posted 27 Mar 2010 0:23:28 UTC

Thank you,
Heidi-Ann Kennedy

Profile 7ri9991 [MM]

Message 5872 - Posted 27 Mar 2010 13:29:20 UTC - in response to Message ID 5860 .
Last modified: 27 Mar 2010 13:57:31 UTC

...The new workunits (problem free) have a name with the word 'crossdocking' the old ones should say 'model0013b'

I've got 11 of the model0013b work units. They've all downloaded cleanly and I've returned 2 results from them so far. Do you still need them? Unless told otherwise I'll finish them.

Now that I look at them closely, I see that they were originally sent out March 11th. I do remember having to go through and abort the ones with the empty and incomplete input files. There are postings on the board by Ananas from early March warning of empty and/or incomplete '.inp' files and to abort them if you find them. It's as easy as noticing a work unit has been going for more than 30 minutes with 0% progress and checking the input files.

Ananas on the subject - Windows
Myself on the subject - Linux

Anyone doing a little research would have seen about the incomplete input files and known to abort them. That's how I found out.
Profile Bryan Price

ID: 13990
Credit: 526,416
Message 5875 - Posted 28 Mar 2010 16:14:42 UTC

Yeah, I've wasted 6 days of processing some 0% units. I pretty much just set and forget. Although after noticing yesterday morning that I had 0% progress when I go to the computer, I thought it was odd that there wasn't even a spider web spinning, but didn't worry about it. This morning I noticed the same thing, and decided to investigate. When I saw three units at 0% and 49 hours spent on them, it wasn't even a big deal. Bad units, abort them, and then see what the news is. And I see what was happening on the front page. I did decide to check a little further.

And I find the call for a boycott?

I'm running a Q6600 at stock speed. I know that it's a decent but certainly not the fastest machine out there, even for a Q6600. I'm not in it to compare body parts, as some people evidently are. I'm in it to contribute to science.

Yeah, it sucks when your favorite project goes down. But that's why I like Boinc, I set up other projects and when mine has issues, and it certainly does have them on a regular base it seems, I'm still doing something.

In this case, sometimes you get the horns, sometimes the horns get you. Too bad it was the latter this time.

Profile Trilce Estrada
Forum moderator
Project administrator
Project developer
Project tester

ID: 119
Credit: 1,217,236
Message 5884 - Posted 29 Mar 2010 17:21:17 UTC - in response to Message ID 5872 .

Thank you trigggl and Bryan for your comments.

Yes, all model13b that return are very useful, only some of them that are still around had the problem and perhaps it is easier for the people to identify mod13b as those with the problem, although it is not always the case.

Message boards : Number crunching : Boycott

Database Error
: The MySQL server is running with the --read-only option so it cannot execute this statement
array(3) {
  [0]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(47) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/db_conn.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(97)
    ["function"]=>
    string(8) "do_query"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#15 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(78) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(1) {
      [0]=>
      &string(51) "update DBNAME.thread set views=views+1 where id=530"
    }
  }
  [1]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(48) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/forum_db.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(60)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#15 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(78) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(3) {
      [0]=>
      object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
        ["id"]=>
        string(3) "530"
        ["forum"]=>
        string(1) "2"
        ["owner"]=>
        string(4) "8725"
        ["status"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["title"]=>
        string(7) "Boycott"
        ["timestamp"]=>
        string(10) "1269883277"
        ["views"]=>
        string(3) "681"
        ["replies"]=>
        string(1) "9"
        ["activity"]=>
        string(19) "3.9111552366216e-75"
        ["sufferers"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["score"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["votes"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["create_time"]=>
        string(10) "1269523707"
        ["hidden"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["sticky"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["locked"]=>
        string(1) "0"
      }
      [1]=>
      &string(6) "thread"
      [2]=>
      &string(13) "views=views+1"
    }
  }
  [2]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(63) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/user/community/forum/thread.php"
    ["line"]=>
    int(184)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(11) "BoincThread"
    ["object"]=>
    object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
      ["id"]=>
      string(3) "530"
      ["forum"]=>
      string(1) "2"