Advanced search

Message boards : Number crunching : Issue getting new work

Sort
anthonmg

ID: 9657
Credit: 17,959,472
RAC: 0
Message 4912 - Posted 17 Apr 2009 20:21:29 UTC

I'm wondering if this is a problem people have seen before? I noticed this morning that my compouters hadn't received new work units for 10 hours. It ran through everything it had in the queue and uploaded it all, but didn't get new work. I had to manually update all of them to get new work units. On 12 cores that's 120 hours of missing CPU time. Was it a server issue or does BOINC sometimes mess up? It happened around 1 am for all the machines.

Profile robertmiles

ID: 9967
Credit: 1,290,747
Message 4933 - Posted 27 Apr 2009 1:03:54 UTC - in response to Message ID 4912 .

I'm wondering if this is a problem people have seen before? I noticed this morning that my compouters hadn't received new work units for 10 hours. It ran through everything it had in the queue and uploaded it all, but didn't get new work. I had to manually update all of them to get new work units. On 12 cores that's 120 hours of missing CPU time. Was it a server issue or does BOINC sometimes mess up? It happened around 1 am for all the machines.

Did you check your BOINC messages tab to see if it was at least asking for new workunits? If it was asking for new workunits and not getting any, it's probably a server issue and about the most useful thing you can do to handle such times is to add a second BOINC project, but give it only enough of a share of your CPU time so that it will eventually finish the workunits before their deadlines. This one has rather short workunits, so choosing it as the second project will not have much effect on your Docking@Home results. The main result of this is that it will try to run workunits from the other project almost only when it can't get any from Docking@Home, and if the outages for Docking@Home are frequent enough, soon build up enough of a debt to the Docking@Home project that it should always make Docking@Home its first choice of a project to get a workunit from.

It could, however, be a problem with the ability of your computer to get a connection to the internet, in which a second BOINC project will do little more than give it a little extra to do before it runs dry. For example, my newer computer currently has had such a problem long enough for all the Docking@Home workunits and about half the other workunits on it to go past their deadlines, in addition to being unable to get new workunits from any of the BOINC projects it is subscribed to.

Yet another possibility is that you had BOINC's activity setting adjusted so that it wasn't even supposed to try to reach any BOINC server during that time, but trying it manually overrode this.
Profile Scientific Frontline

ID: 8725
Credit: 788,015
Message 4936 - Posted 27 Apr 2009 2:48:17 UTC - in response to Message ID 4912 .

I would agree with Robert, and check your settings.
I personally have over 100 wu's at the moment and they keep coming as a couple are done.
Heidi-Ann~

Recognized by the Carnegie Institute of Science . Washington D.C.
anthonmg

ID: 9657
Credit: 17,959,472
Message 4938 - Posted 27 Apr 2009 17:17:51 UTC - in response to Message ID 4936 .

Thanks for the thoughts. As near as I can tell it wasn't a technical issue. The program has been running fine for some time and then had this hiccup of not getting new work. Internet is fine, settings are good, it just wasn't sent any work. Looks like maybe something on the server side. I upped the number of WU that it pulls so that it can run for a couple of days without having to go back to the server and still finish before the deadline. No probs now.

Message boards : Number crunching : Issue getting new work

Database Error
: The MySQL server is running with the --read-only option so it cannot execute this statement
array(3) {
  [0]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(47) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/db_conn.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(97)
    ["function"]=>
    string(8) "do_query"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#9 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(66) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(1) {
      [0]=>
      &string(51) "update DBNAME.thread set views=views+1 where id=415"
    }
  }
  [1]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(48) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/forum_db.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(60)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#9 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(66) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(3) {
      [0]=>
      object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
        ["id"]=>
        string(3) "415"
        ["forum"]=>
        string(1) "2"
        ["owner"]=>
        string(4) "9657"
        ["status"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["title"]=>
        string(22) "Issue getting new work"
        ["timestamp"]=>
        string(10) "1240852671"
        ["views"]=>
        string(2) "98"
        ["replies"]=>
        string(1) "3"
        ["activity"]=>
        string(19) "5.7635068696878e-90"
        ["sufferers"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["score"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["votes"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["create_time"]=>
        string(10) "1239999689"
        ["hidden"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["sticky"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["locked"]=>
        string(1) "0"
      }
      [1]=>
      &string(6) "thread"
      [2]=>
      &string(13) "views=views+1"
    }
  }
  [2]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(63) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/user/community/forum/thread.php"
    ["line"]=>
    int(184)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(11) "BoincThread"
    ["object"]=>
    object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
      ["id"]=>
      string(3) "415"
      ["forum"]=>
      string(1) "2"