Advanced search

Message boards : Number crunching : Top Team List

Sort
Profile Scientific Frontline

ID: 8725
Credit: 788,015
RAC: 0
Message 5143 - Posted 14 Jul 2009 1:01:55 UTC

Please remove "Lousy Screensaver" from the top teams list please.
Just annoying to scroll and see the idiot there.
BTW... You all are doing an awesome job. Yes there is issues. I just wished an intelligent manor was taken to present them to your team.
Great project and worthy cause... Keep your focus on the science first and credits second.
This is what it's really about anyhow.
Heidi-Ann Kennedy

Recognized by the Carnegie Institute of Science . Washington D.C.

Profile MrBad

ID: 615
Credit: 1,050,243
Message 5165 - Posted 16 Jul 2009 21:56:16 UTC
Last modified: 16 Jul 2009 22:12:18 UTC

Hello!?

Is that so a much problem to remove team "Lousy Screensaver"??
Its very unhappy to look the Team-Stats!

Greets
MB

Cluster Physik

ID: 14795
Credit: 16,067,012
Message 5166 - Posted 16 Jul 2009 22:50:01 UTC - in response to Message ID 5165 .

Hello!?

Greets
MB

Maybe the project agree with that team?
*lol*
Kevint

ID: 389
Credit: 2,724,494
Message 5167 - Posted 17 Jul 2009 0:35:48 UTC - in response to Message ID 5165 .

Hello!?

Greets
MB

Interesting comment...

Was this not someone on your team that created this mess in the first place?
Cluster Physik

Message 5175 - Posted 17 Jul 2009 6:51:00 UTC - in response to Message ID 5167 .

Interesting comment...

If you look at the stats, you will see it's an own team.

And as I explained to an Alliance Francophone member already, Aqua was (and still is) a mess. The situation here is a bit different.
sandro

ID: 512
Credit: 4,076,636
Message 5177 - Posted 17 Jul 2009 10:18:23 UTC - in response to Message ID 5167 .
Last modified: 17 Jul 2009 10:18:54 UTC

Interesting comment...

Definitely NOT! Why do you think this?!
Profile Michela
Forum moderator
Project administrator
Project developer
Project tester
Project scientist

ID: 10
Credit: 97,083
Message 5178 - Posted 17 Jul 2009 12:44:49 UTC - in response to Message ID 5177 .

The team "Lousy Screensaver" was removed.

Michela

Kevint

ID: 389
Credit: 2,724,494
Message 5179 - Posted 17 Jul 2009 15:07:19 UTC - in response to Message ID 5177 .

Interesting comment...

Definitely NOT! Why do you think this?!

I read 3Dnow's message boards.

I could name names if you really want me to.

Or I could even post the 3Dnow's message board thread here for all to read.
But this quote from your own Gispel AKA _Docker_ with Twoodee in tow.
[Docker] _ may have used a modified Client. But with the computer linked by me in the Docking forum (1 TFlop/s for a AthlonMP 1.3GHz ) I also simply only edited client_state.xml. One does not have to make more really.

Talking about modifying the xml file/benchmarks.

http://www.planet3dnow.de/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=364692&page=68

You decide.

These kinds of actions are childish, and have no place in a scientific community. Those responsible should be punished. And if these acts of treason are supported by the team, the entire team should be punished.

There are better things to do than babysit, like work on getting out the science.
Profile Michela
Forum moderator
Project administrator
Project developer
Project tester
Project scientist

ID: 10
Credit: 97,083
Message 5181 - Posted 17 Jul 2009 15:28:35 UTC - in response to Message ID 5179 .

Since last week, we perform a checking at the server level. In particular, we check the expected credits against our benchmarks (yes, we run several tests before to distribute a new job). If the amount of expected credits does not meet our numbers, we define that job invalid and we assign 0 credits.

Michela

elite.bl4ze

ID: 14933
Credit: 769,782
Message 5182 - Posted 17 Jul 2009 16:39:45 UTC
Last modified: 17 Jul 2009 17:34:43 UTC

Dark Phoenix said everything below.

greets

elite.bl4ze

Cluster Physik

Message 5183 - Posted 17 Jul 2009 17:06:14 UTC - in response to Message ID 5179 .
Last modified: 17 Jul 2009 17:37:30 UTC

But obviously you didn't understand it ;)
I could name names if you really want me to.

Let's judge you by your doings. Oops, you have already named some names!

Or I could even post the 3Dnow's message board thread here for all to read.
But this quote from your own Gispel AKA _Docker_ with Twoodee in tow.
[Docker]_ may have used a modified Client. But with the computer linked by me in the Docking forum (1 TFlop/s for a AthlonMP 1.3GHz ) I also simply only edited client_state.xml. One does not have to make more really.

Talking about modifying the xml file/benchmarks.

To repeat what I've posted just after the first WUs from _[Docker]_ turned in , I was not the one doing it. I've not created that team "Lousy Screensaver", I didn't join it nor did I have anything else to do with it. I immediately distanced myself from this action. Is this clear enough?

Regarding the citation from our message board, remember it is a German forum and every translation tool will surely mess up a lot. The post you cited ( direct link to that post , the edit at the end is the the important part here) was written by me and belongs to a short discussion how it was probably done and how it is possible to cheat in general. I don't understand your accusation as your translation is actually quite okay. I explicitly mentioned _[Docker]_ in the third person. He "may have used a modified client". The meaning of speaking in third-person narrative of someone is the same in English and German ;)

The second part refers to this post here in the "Cobblestones" thread. There I linked one of my hosts (which has never computed anything here) with a modified benchmark score just to support my point that benchmarks are too easy to manipulate. I was (and still am) completely open about it, both in our forum as well as here in the Docking forum. And as I said (it is easy to verify its truth) that host never returned a WU and never will (at least with such benchmark scores).

I will readily admit that I was the main driving force behind "Milksop at try" over at Milkyway (guess it wasn't a real secret anyway). I've taken the offensive route there, answering all questions and taking a lot of flak in the forums there, but I thought it was the right way. And you see what finally happened. I guess you are personally quite happy with the result, just guessing you got about 200 million credits with my applications ;)

But I was definitely not _[Docker]_!

These kinds of actions are childish, and have no place in a scientific community. Those responsible should be punished. And if these acts of treason are supported by the team, the entire team should be punished.

There are better things to do than babysit, like work on getting out the science.

Your accusations are childish. First, the issue is resolved now anyway. So there is actually no "treason" or betrayal of anyone. And second, I guess we should not start to look where you got all your credits from. Claiming your only concern is to advance science doesn't sound very convincing. Don't get that wrong, there is nothing inherently bad with that. BOINC was designed to encourage competition. It is only that some arguments are more convincing if they are brought up by someone who acts according to that very argument ;)

PS:
Just to be clear, I'm Gipsel aka Cluster Physik.
Profile [B^S] BOINC-SG
Volunteer tester

ID: 136
Credit: 52,985
Message 5184 - Posted 17 Jul 2009 18:29:48 UTC - in response to Message ID 5181 .

Since last week, we perform a checking at the server level. In particular, we check the expected credits against our benchmarks (yes, we run several tests before to distribute a new job). If the amount of expected credits does not meet our numbers, we define that job invalid and we assign 0 credits.

Michela

Well, then why is this client still getting credits?

http://docking.cis.udel.edu/community/show_host_detail.php?hostid=36565

CPU type GenuineIntel
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz [x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11]
Number of CPUs 4
Operating System Microsoft Windows Server 2003
Standard Server x86 Edition, Service Pack 2, (05.02.3790.00)
Memory 2038.06 MB
Cache 244.14 KB
Measured floating point speed 8648.2 million ops/sec
Measured integer speed 18731.66 million ops/sec

Good thing is, many of the other obviously cheating clients got normal benchmark values now. What a miracle.

Lousy screensaver deserves huge Kudos!

But: Cheatin is still possible. Get those fixed credits, gd...

My NEW BOINC-Site

Why people joined BOINC Synergy...
Cluster Physik

Message 5185 - Posted 17 Jul 2009 18:40:14 UTC - in response to Message ID 5184 .
Last modified: 17 Jul 2009 19:13:53 UTC

Well, then why is this client still getting credits?
[..]
Measured floating point speed 8648.2 million ops/sec
Measured integer speed 18731.66 million ops/sec

Maybe he is using one of Crunch3r's clients? xD
@CfL:
He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone
John 8.7
But: Cheatin is still possible. Get those fixed credits, gd...

Wrong thread. The voting goes on here ;)
Pr1nCe$$ FiFi

ID: 15758
Credit: 0
Message 5190 - Posted 17 Jul 2009 20:55:14 UTC - in response to Message ID 5179 .

[quote][quote]

No, you obviously don't. You might read the google translater's results, which can not be trusted. Translations are always misguiding. Taking the translations of a machine as granted (which are widely considered as unreliable anyhow) is at least grossly negligent.

Making false accusations afterwards goes way beyond negligence.

This is strongly insulting and I demand a public excuse!

Figuring from the google translater is highly immature, but insulting people with false accuses is really maleficent and has absolutely no place in a scientific community. So before you point to others, you should seriously think about your own behavior.
If somebody of my team behaved this way in a public project forum, I would discus with my team members if we should send him packing or not. This is absolutely not acceptable. You should be ashamed.

An earnest apology would be the adequate and decent response.
Fieser Fettsack

ID: 15770
Message 5193 - Posted 17 Jul 2009 23:07:45 UTC - in response to Message ID 5190 .
Last modified: 17 Jul 2009 23:08:22 UTC

No, you obviously don't.

And obviously you did'nt read it either or you should have known by now that Twodee (planet3dnow) is responsible for the "DOCKER / Lousy screensaver" account and all the crap that happened here.

Kind of interesting that such things happen while team planet3dnow is in a socalled race to #1 @docking...
koschi

ID: 14817
Credit: 338,558
Message 5194 - Posted 17 Jul 2009 23:29:39 UTC

any proof for that, or just calling some names?

Cluster Physik

Message 5195 - Posted 18 Jul 2009 0:02:43 UTC - in response to Message ID 5193 .
Last modified: 18 Jul 2009 0:21:33 UTC

or you should have known by now that Twodee (planet3dnow) is responsible for the "DOCKER / Lousy screensaver" account and all the crap that happened here.

Oh, someone cowardly hiding behind a new account! Should I guess who you are? And what crap happened actually? Won't be that easy to cheat in the future or what is your problem ;)

First me, now Twodee. You know there are some 200 members left. Maybe you want a complete list of all our members here ? May make it easier! I would suggest you start at the top and not somewhere around place 7 or 8.

As I said before this is just childish!
Hiding behind a new account

ID: 15773
Message 5196 - Posted 18 Jul 2009 0:27:26 UTC - in response to Message ID 5195 .

or you should have known by now that Twodee (planet3dnow) is responsible for the "DOCKER / Lousy screensaver"

Oh, someone cowardly hiding behind a new account! Should I guess who you are?

First me, now Twodee. You know there are some 200 members left. Maybe you want a complete list of all our members here ? May make it easier! I would suggest you start at the top and not somewhere around place 7 or 8.

As I said before that is just childish!

http://www.planet3dnow.de/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3986670&postcount=1677

How come he knows how docker cheated ?

Now don't come up with some excuses for himm save that post to yourself.
At least he should be that straight to admit it.

Besides it was you digging out that old post and starting the whole mess,trying
to force some action by the projects administration.

Anyway, since the whole message board of planet3dnow is about discussing possible ways of cheating ...

Profile Scientific Frontline

ID: 8725
Credit: 788,015
Message 5197 - Posted 18 Jul 2009 0:53:02 UTC
Last modified: 18 Jul 2009 0:57:03 UTC

Gentlemen... enough.
First let me say I do not believe Dark Phoenix had any part in this mess. Aware maybe, approved maybe (out of frustration)... yet I think he has too much integrity to initiate.

Is P3DN cheating in stats, no... members maybe, along with many teams.
Now logic dictates that if Dark Phoenix was cheating the benchmark system, he certainly would not be pushing for server side credits. Think.

If any team would be upset or worried about P3DN, it would be us... and we are not, and enjoy the participation of many of their members on our forum.

Arguing and pointing fingers is not stopping the problem.
Server side credits will.

You have 39 votes from Team Phoenix Rising for server side credits.
Heidi-Ann Kennedy
Phoenix Rising

P.S. I hope no TPR member is hiding behind an account voicing opinion here.
Does TPR members cheat, I do not believe so.
Rest assured, if I ever found out, they would be off this team!

Recognized by the Carnegie Institute of Science . Washington D.C.

Cluster Physik

Message 5198 - Posted 18 Jul 2009 1:23:14 UTC - in response to Message ID 5196 .
Last modified: 18 Jul 2009 2:15:09 UTC

C'mon, it is not that hard to figure it out for someone who knows a bit about the whole BOINC stuff. There aren't that many methods to fake the data (and here it was more or less a "total conversion" with the GM V10 CPU and crashtest OS or something along that).
For everyone, it is still the same discussion in our forum about the cheating referred to above already. Someone (DanysAhne, you should accuse him too!) said that it is not very clever to save the benchmark values in a text file so any user can access it. Then comes the post I answered to (translated):
Do you think Docker used the xml file?

To which I answered (again translated):
_[Docker]_ may have used a modified client. But on the computer I linked to in the Docking forum (1 TFlop/s for an AthlonMP 1.3GHz) I simply edited the client_state.xml. One really doesn't need to do more.

The first post related to the method actually used by _[Docker]_ and my answer (agreeing that it was probably a modified client) referred to the simplicity to tinker with benchmarks scores in general and my post here in the forum .
Is it really that hard to understand?
If you know how a gun works, does it make you a murderer?

At least he should be that straight to admit it.
Maybe you should be straight to admit who you are?

Besides it was you digging out that old post and starting the whole mess,trying to force some action by the projects administration.

Don't make a fool out of yourself!
I was answering a very valid question regarding the credits another participant had . I'm not aware that the project staff or someone else had given any answer, let alone one providing the details.
Of course, after I've seen how long the project already thinks about a new system and the project staff already expressed their concerns about malicious actions of some users to gain unfair credit , I pushed that topic a bit to stimulate the discussion about this topic. And after the incidents with the Aqua credits (but I actually contributed to the discussion and warned about the easy cheating possibility before!) I felt it was somehow urgent so I tried to get the discussion going. Just read my posts! They are written English here if that helps ;)

Actually I've done the same (using largely the same arguments) at Spinhenge 9 months ago or so (look at their fora!). They opted after a while for fixed credits (everyone agreed it was the best solution). I see there no wrong doing.

Anyway, since the whole message board of planet3dnow is about discussing possible ways of cheating ...
You aren't getting funnier!
Show me how our message board is full of such stuff!
To make it clear, P3D has a strict policy of not endorsing or encouraging any cheats. This started very early with a quite critical view on those benchmark "optimized" clients you are surely very aware of.
Cluster Physik

Message 5199 - Posted 18 Jul 2009 1:35:22 UTC - in response to Message ID 5197 .

Gentlemen... enough.
First let me say I do not believe Dark Phoenix had any part in this mess. Aware maybe, approved maybe (out of frustration)... yet I think he has too much integrity to initiate.

Is P3DN cheating in stats, no... members maybe, along with many teams.
Now logic dictates that if Dark Phoenix was cheating the benchmark system, he certainly would not be pushing for server side credits. Think.

If any team would be upset or worried about P3DN, it would be us... and we are not, and enjoy the participation of many of their members on our forum.

Thanks for the support!

But to the issue, I only got aware as others spotted that user and the first thing I've done was to post this message here . So I was not aware and have not approved it. Period.

PS:
I will rename this account to the usual "Cluster Physik" in approximately 30 hours ;)
JKuehl2

ID: 14773
Credit: 277,202
Message 5202 - Posted 18 Jul 2009 8:42:52 UTC - in response to Message ID 5196 .
Last modified: 18 Jul 2009 8:49:12 UTC

Have you had a look at the CPU and OS description of Dockers host/hosts? This can only be achieved by manipulation the BOINC-Client-Executable itself. Thats a conclusion every half-decent-programmer could make JUST looking at the descriptions - even if this programmer doesn´t know even what BOINC is or does..

Anyways - everyone who knows the history of the team Planet3DNow! DOES know that even Back in the Days of of 5.5.X Crunch3r Clients, cheating was never an option. The only reason that the word "cheat" may appear often when searching the forums is our extensive discussion about the topic. Since then credit changes have - not only by our influence but as one of the driving forces - changes in spinhenge, milkyway, gpugrid und maybe now in docking and aqua.

Just think for one minute about that, before using wrong translations and search results as prove for your theories.
Profile [B^S] BOINC-SG
Volunteer tester

ID: 136
Credit: 52,985
Message 5233 - Posted 19 Jul 2009 11:30:16 UTC

I have no idea what the real problem is:

- no harm done, afaics - contrary to the mess @ AQUA
- fixed credits will be implemented here

So, go play somewhere else!

My NEW BOINC-Site

Why people joined BOINC Synergy...

Message boards : Number crunching : Top Team List

Database Error
: The MySQL server is running with the --read-only option so it cannot execute this statement
array(3) {
  [0]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(47) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/db_conn.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(97)
    ["function"]=>
    string(8) "do_query"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#28 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(126) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(1) {
      [0]=>
      &string(51) "update DBNAME.thread set views=views+1 where id=448"
    }
  }
  [1]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(48) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/forum_db.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(60)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#28 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(126) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(3) {
      [0]=>
      object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
        ["id"]=>
        string(3) "448"
        ["forum"]=>
        string(1) "2"
        ["owner"]=>
        string(4) "8725"
        ["status"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["title"]=>
        string(13) "Top Team List"
        ["timestamp"]=>
        string(10) "1248003016"
        ["views"]=>
        string(4) "1031"
        ["replies"]=>
        string(2) "22"
        ["activity"]=>
        string(19) "1.2324396564566e-85"
        ["sufferers"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["score"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["votes"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["create_time"]=>
        string(10) "1247533315"
        ["hidden"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["sticky"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["locked"]=>
        string(1) "0"
      }
      [1]=>
      &string(6) "thread"
      [2]=>
      &string(13) "views=views+1"
    }
  }
  [2]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(63) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/user/community/forum/thread.php"
    ["line"]=>
    int(184)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(11) "BoincThread"
    ["object"]=>
    object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
      ["id"]=>
      string(3) "448"
      ["forum"]=>
      string(1) "2"