Advanced search

Message boards : Number crunching : Bug Report - Random Reboots

Sort
Steven Meyer

ID: 12091
Credit: 130,335
RAC: 0
Message 5300 - Posted 8 Aug 2009 16:14:16 UTC

There seem to be some bug(s) that may be causing my computer to randomly reboot.

This is the situation:

I have been running S@H on my Q6600 for about a year. During this time I have not seen any random reboots.

Recently, I upgraded the NVidia video driver in order to support the optimized CUDA app from S@H.

Subsequently, I started to notice some occasional random reboots about 3-4 times per week.

I decided that it was probably some issue with the new NVidia video driver, but was not bothered enough by it to do something about it yet.

Then, for reasons having to do with improving the through-put of this computer by letting it use mostly optimized apps, I set D@H to "No new Tasks" on this computer.

Eventually, it ran out of D@H tasks to do and was running only S@H for a several days.

Today I temporarily set D@H to allow new tasks, so that there would be a few in the queue for the times when S@H is having problems servicing their client computers.

I got 6 D@H tasks, and 3 of them started running immediately.

The computer immediately had another random reboot, which I had not seen while there were no D@H tasks to be run.

Now I have set D@H to "No new Tasks" once again, and suspended those tasks that were downloaded.

We shall see if there are any more random reboots while D@H is not running.

I wonder if there are any switches that I can set that will cause the D@H apps to write more debugging info to the log so that the cause of the random reboots can be determined.

Steven Meyer

Message 5301 - Posted 8 Aug 2009 16:26:09 UTC

To clarify, "Random Reboot" is not the infamous "Blue Screen Of Death", which at least reports the probable cause of the problem. When one of these reboots happens, the screen simply goes black, and then the POST appears.

Profile adrianxw
Volunteer tester

ID: 343
Credit: 1,669,741
Message 5302 - Posted 9 Aug 2009 8:56:34 UTC
Last modified: 9 Aug 2009 8:57:01 UTC

Try another co-project, POEM or Rosetta for example. Try to narrow the problem down, ie. if the problem is occuring with other co-running projects as well. A lot of the "optimised" stuff around is not 100% reliable across all hardware systems.

Steven Meyer

Message 5304 - Posted 9 Aug 2009 17:03:13 UTC - in response to Message ID 5302 .
Last modified: 9 Aug 2009 17:05:35 UTC

Try another co-project, POEM or Rosetta for example. Try to narrow the problem down, ie. if the problem is occuring with other co-running projects as well. A lot of the "optimised" stuff around is not 100% reliable across all hardware systems.

I may try that after a while. I want to reduce the possibilities rather than increase them.

The optimized code seems to be working fine.

There have been zero reboots since I suspended the D@H tasks.

So I have two time periods during which there were no reboots, and in both of those times, there were also no D@H tasks running.

However, this second time period has been only about 1 day so I'll be letting it go on for a few more days to make sure.

What about the debugging?

Message 5307 - Posted 10 Aug 2009 9:06:20 UTC

By not doing so, you make the assumption that Docking is at fault and that SETI is fine. The thousands of other Docking users that do not have your problem must just be lucky? Rather then increasing the possibilities, the course of action I suggest narrows your problem. Turning Docking off achieves nothing.

Profile kevin
Project developer
Project tester

ID: 393
Credit: 1,507
Message 5313 - Posted 12 Aug 2009 18:38:26 UTC - in response to Message ID 5300 .

There seem to be some bug(s) that may be causing my computer to randomly reboot.

This is the situation:

I have been running S@H on my Q6600 for about a year. During this time I have not seen any random reboots.

Recently, I upgraded the NVidia video driver in order to support the optimized CUDA app from S@H.

Subsequently, I started to notice some occasional random reboots about 3-4 times per week.

I decided that it was probably some issue with the new NVidia video driver, but was not bothered enough by it to do something about it yet.

Then, for reasons having to do with improving the through-put of this computer by letting it use mostly optimized apps, I set D@H to "No new Tasks" on this computer.

Eventually, it ran out of D@H tasks to do and was running only S@H for a several days.

Today I temporarily set D@H to allow new tasks, so that there would be a few in the queue for the times when S@H is having problems servicing their client computers.

I got 6 D@H tasks, and 3 of them started running immediately.

The computer immediately had another random reboot, which I had not seen while there were no D@H tasks to be run.

Now I have set D@H to "No new Tasks" once again, and suspended those tasks that were downloaded.

We shall see if there are any more random reboots while D@H is not running.

I wonder if there are any switches that I can set that will cause the D@H apps to write more debugging info to the log so that the cause of the random reboots can be determined.

This is very odd. We haven't seen behaviour like this before, and would be interested to know if you can indeed find a direct correlation to our project and the reboots. Please keep us updated on your testing.
Steven Meyer

Message 5317 - Posted 16 Aug 2009 15:04:36 UTC
Last modified: 16 Aug 2009 15:09:19 UTC

It has been a week since my last post on this subject, and during that week D@H has not been running while S@H has been. Also, I have not had any spontaneous reboots during that week.

By not doing so, you make the assumption that Docking is at fault and that SETI is fine. The thousands of other Docking users that do not have your problem must just be lucky? Rather then increasing the possibilities, the course of action I suggest narrows your problem. Turning Docking off achieves nothing.

What I have achieved is that now we know that it is very likely that D@H is involved. If S@H optimized code is the cause then at very least D@H is the catalyst. One or the other of these two projects may be stepping on the other in such a way that causes these reboots.

It could also be that S@H is not involved at all.

Something in my system is stepping on D@H, or vice-versa.

• Something that "the thousands of other Docking users" do not have on their systems.
  • Or else they have not yet bothered to report it because they have not been bothered enough by it yet.
  • Or they do not leave their systems on 24x7 and so they do not see it happen.
  • Or they get so many spontaneous reboots that they do not yet suspect D@H because the reboots did not start right after D@H was installed.
  • Or they could be lucky.
  • Or . . .

Is there anything I can do to make BOINC do more debugging in order to track down this problem?

Profile adrianxw
Volunteer tester

Message 5321 - Posted 17 Aug 2009 7:58:26 UTC

Docking is the only other BOINC project you have tried. My suggestion was to try others and see if they run okay or not. That could point you in the direction of the problem - all you know now is that SETI and Docking won't cohabit on your system.

I have Docking and SETI running together on this machine, no issues here. There are MANY people who are doing the same thing without problems. You have made the assumption that SETI is fine and Docking is the problem - if that is what you want to believe, well I doubt we will change your mind.

Steven Meyer

Message 5323 - Posted 17 Aug 2009 8:31:08 UTC - in response to Message ID 5321 .

Docking is the only other BOINC project you have tried. My suggestion was to try others and see if they run okay or not. That could point you in the direction of the problem - all you know now is that SETI and Docking won't cohabit on your system.

I have Docking and SETI running together on this machine, no issues here. There are MANY people who are doing the same thing without problems. You have made the assumption that SETI is fine and Docking is the problem - if that is what you want to believe, well I doubt we will change your mind.

I am not trying to point fingers, so chill. :D

I wonder if anything can be done to help locate the problem other than trying a bunch of other projects?

Message 5328 - Posted 18 Aug 2009 7:19:20 UTC

If you wont run other projects, then unload the new driver and try the existing project set without it. The problem with that approach is uninstalling, does whatever uninstall method used actually take everything the installer installed out? Since your problems started with that driver, it would seem the obvious target for suspicion.

My suggestion was an easy way for you to proceed, and easy to undo as well.

Steven Meyer

Message 5329 - Posted 18 Aug 2009 12:36:33 UTC
Last modified: 18 Aug 2009 13:04:05 UTC

Reverting the video driver is easy, but then, cannot really tell me what happened or why. If this method is successful, it will simply tell me that the video driver is involved because the problem will go away. Also, the CUDA code from S@H will not work with the older video driver, so that part of the situation will be changed as well as the video driver. I will not be testing just 1 change, but 2.

I need to work on something that will let us see the problem happen, and why.

I was thinking more along the lines of some settings that will make BOINC put some debugging info into the log so that when the error occurs, I will know what happened and why.

No one has yet answered my question, which I have asked 4 times, in 4 different ways:

Posted 8 Aug 2009 16:14:16 UTC

Posted 9 Aug 2009 17:03:13 UTC
What about the debugging?

Posted 16 Aug 2009 15:04:36 UTC
Is there anything I can do to make BOINC do more debugging in order to track down this problem?

Posted 17 Aug 2009 8:31:08 UTC
I wonder if anything can be done to help locate the problem other than trying a bunch of other projects?

If there really is no way to debug BOINC, then please just say so instead of ignoring the questions.

By the way, as of this posting D@H is still not running and still there have been zero random reboots after almost 10 days.

Zero response about debugging and zero reboots without D@H running does not make me want to turn D@H on again.

Steven Meyer

Message 5330 - Posted 18 Aug 2009 13:28:09 UTC - in response to Message ID 5321 .
Last modified: 18 Aug 2009 13:31:57 UTC

Docking is the only other BOINC project you have tried... You have made the assumption that SETI is fine and Docking is the problem - if that is what you want to believe, well I doubt we will change your mind.

I could have just abandoned D@H, uninstalled all of its code, and happily gone on my way, with zero random reboots.

Instead, I am still writing to this thread.

This should suggest to you that I am interested in getting to the bottom of this and that I am not interested in just attaching blame to the easiest target.

ID: 16899
Credit: 338,556
Message 5331 - Posted 18 Aug 2009 18:44:46 UTC - in response to Message ID 5330 .

Docking is the only other BOINC project you have tried... You have made the assumption that SETI is fine and Docking is the problem - if that is what you want to believe, well I doubt we will change your mind.

>I could have just abandoned D@H, uninstalled all of its code, and happily >gone on my way, with zero random reboots.
>
>Instead, I am still writing to this thread.
>
>This should suggest to you that I am interested in getting to the bottom of >this and that I am not interested in just attaching blame to the >easiest target.

Does it happen too if you set in the preferences: Leave applications in memory while suspended? As I do not have problems do run, prime, seti (with optimized apps), docking, ABC, malaria and rosetta at the same time. Could you also try to run your system only with the windows provided drivers?
Steven Meyer

Message 5332 - Posted 19 Aug 2009 0:40:07 UTC - in response to Message ID 5331 .
Last modified: 19 Aug 2009 0:41:32 UTC

Does it happen too if you set in the preferences: Leave applications in memory while suspended?

I already have that option set.

Should I unset it?

Could you also try to run your system only with the windows provided drivers?

The problem there is that the S@H CUDA code requires the nVidia video drivers.

Message 5334 - Posted 19 Aug 2009 9:16:59 UTC - in response to Message ID 5332 .

Does it happen too if you set in the preferences: Leave applications in memory while suspended?

I already have that option set.

Should I unset it?

No, that setting is fine.

Could you also try to run your system only with the windows provided drivers?

The problem there is that the S@H CUDA code requires the nVidia video drivers.

Yes, I'm aware that you need it for seti on cuda but to rule out that the problem is the nvidia driver you should disable the nvidia driver, reboot and run docking with the windows provided driver. As seti have fixed downtimes you can do that in that timeframe.
Steven Meyer

Message 5335 - Posted 19 Aug 2009 10:50:21 UTC - in response to Message ID 5334 .

Yes, I'm aware that you need it for seti on cuda but to rule out that the problem is the nvidia driver you should disable the nvidia driver, reboot and run docking with the windows provided driver. As seti have fixed downtimes you can do that in that timeframe.

I know already that both the nVidia video driver and the D@H code are involved, because the problem began after I upgraded the nVidia video driver, and then it went away after I stopped running D@H. The S@H CUDA code may also be involved.

It takes all of the components together to create the problem, because by removing just one (D@H) I have a stable system with the other two (nVidia and CUDA).

Now that we know what the components are, can anything be done to make them all co-exist?

Or do I just have to give up on running more than the one project?

FYI, here is some of the info from the nVidia control panel.

CPU
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

Operating System
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3, Build 2600

Motherboard Vendor
NVIDIA

Motherboard Version

Motherboard Model
NVK84CRB

DirectX
9.0c (5.3.2600.5512)

Nforce Driver Package

Graphics Driver
190.38 (6.14.11.9038)

Ethernet Driver
67.72 (1.00.02.06772)

IDE Driver

nTune

GPU
GeForce 8800 GT

Message 5337 - Posted 19 Aug 2009 17:39:52 UTC - in response to Message ID 5335 .

>

>I know already that both the nVidia video driver and the D@H code are involved, because the problem began after I upgraded the nVidia video driver, and then it went away after I stopped running D@H. The S@H CUDA code may also be involved.

>Which cuda seti app are you using (the stock or from lunatics) and does it work if you process both projects with cpu and not with gpu/cpu? As your hard crash indicates that's a driver/hardware problem.

>It takes all of the components together to create the problem, because by removing just one (D@H) I have a stable system with the other two (nVidia and CUDA).

>Now that we know what the components are, can anything be done to make them all co-exist?

Yes, that's a lot of work. You must try which driver/seti cuda apps fits best so that you can process your wu's for seti & docking without such a hard reset of your system. Maybe someone is reading this and post his/her driver release as I can't I'm not on Windows.

>Or do I just have to give up on running more than the one project?

>FYI, here is some of the info from the nVidia control panel.

Thanks, but I would start with the NVidia driver:

1.) remove it
2.) run seti & docking with their stock apps
3.) run seti with optimized cpu app & docking together

if all of the above works then you must find a driver which works together with your seti cuda app and try out that combination and for that task you need patience. I recommend that you start with an older cuda capable driver.

>>
CPU
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

Operating System
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3, Build 2600

Motherboard Vendor
NVIDIA

Motherboard Version

Motherboard Model
NVK84CRB

DirectX
9.0c (5.3.2600.5512)

Nforce Driver Package

Graphics Driver
190.38 (6.14.11.9038)

Ethernet Driver
67.72 (1.00.02.06772)

IDE Driver

nTune

GPU
GeForce 8800 GT

Steven Meyer

Message 5338 - Posted 19 Aug 2009 23:12:41 UTC - in response to Message ID 5337 .

Garrrrg... the quoting is somewhat messed up. I have cleaned it up below (I hope) to show who said what in reply to which ...

Topolm said:

Steven said:
I know already that both the nVidia video driver and the D@H code are involved, because the problem began after I upgraded the nVidia video driver, and then it went away after I stopped running D@H. The S@H CUDA code may also be involved.

Topolm said:
Which cuda seti app are you using (the stock or from lunatics) and does it work if you process both projects with cpu and not with gpu/cpu? As your hard crash indicates that's a driver/hardware problem.

Steven said:
I am a lunatic
Will try turning off the GPU and turning on D@H.
Steven said:
It takes all of the components together to create the problem, because by removing just one (D@H) I have a stable system with the other two (nVidia and CUDA).
Now that we know what the components are, can anything be done to make them all co-exist?

Topolm said:
Yes, that's a lot of work. You must try which driver/seti cuda apps fits best so that you can process your wu's for seti & docking without such a hard reset of your system. Maybe someone is reading this and post his/her driver release as I can't I'm not on Windows.
Steven said:
Or do I just have to give up on running more than the one project?
FYI, here is some of the info from the nVidia control panel.

Topolm said:
Thanks, but I would start with the NVidia driver:
1.) remove it
2.) run seti & docking with their stock apps
3.) run seti with optimized cpu app & docking together
if all of the above works then you must find a driver which works together with your seti cuda app and try out that combination and for that task you need patience. I recommend that you start with an older cuda capable driver.

Steven said:
As it took some doing to get a version of the nVidia drivers installed that would work with the optimized CUDA app, I'm not willing to go down that road again yet.

Will start with checking to see if SETI and DOCKING will co-exist without CUDA because that is just a setting in options to turn off the use of the GPU, so I will not have to download and install all sorts of drivers and CUDA apps to find an older pair that will work together.

Unfortunately, since the GPU can process about 3 WU per hour while the CPU does less than 1 per hour with each 4 of the processors, disabling the GPU will be a huge reduction in throughput.

So I would rather find another way.

ID: 11034
Credit: 2,647,353
Message 5342 - Posted 20 Aug 2009 21:59:24 UTC
Last modified: 20 Aug 2009 22:06:29 UTC

Hi, on one of my Q6600' s, mildly OC'ed, a lot of error's occurred.
Don't know the exact reason, but a few minutes ago, it's BOOT drive (and data), went out.
Will figure it out, tomorrow, it's almost midnight here.
Never had random reboots or BSOD's from running Docking@home, nor any other program, also running optimized(SSSE3)app.'s @ SETI & CUDA (+VLAR-kill) EINSTEIN; Leiden Classical; L.H.C.(No WU's, lately) and GPUgrid, though.
IMHO, a stable host, doesn't give random reboots or Blue Screens Off Death , at all. Also no error's. (Except those today and some time ago)
Inspite of the rising energy costs, I stil run 24/7/365, 2 QUAD's (Q6600), 1
QX9650 @ 3,6GHz.(FSB=1648MHz)+9800GTX+, 1 P4D 820, 1 HP LT (T2400).

BTW, on the 'troubled host', I don't run CUDA, it has an ATI EAH2400 video card.

Knight who says N! Ni Ni

Holmis

ID: 17468
Credit: 4,005
Message 5346 - Posted 21 Aug 2009 21:02:07 UTC

If the problem is a bluescreen then this tip might help you get a chance to see it!

http://www.tunexp.com/tips/maintain_your_computer/disabling_blue_screen_of_death_auto-reboot/

Profile David Ball
Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

ID: 115
Credit: 1,634,401
Message 5347 - Posted 22 Aug 2009 11:33:43 UTC

Are you running the BOINC screensaver on that system, Steven? If so, maybe it's the D@H screensaver interacting with the CUDA code.

-- David

Steven Meyer

Message 5360 - Posted 1 Sep 2009 7:16:22 UTC - in response to Message ID 5347 .

Are you running the BOINC screensaver on that system, Steven? If so, maybe it's the D@H screensaver interacting with the CUDA code.

-- David

No screen saver at all because that would cut into the CUDA through-put since the CUDA code by itself will peg the GPU at 100% usage.

In any case, I decided to just run S@H Op Apps, for CPU and GPU, on the Q6600. The other comp is running S@H Op Apps for CPU and D@H.  Since it has no CUDA-capable GPU, it is running with no CUDA.          ... and no troubles.

ID: 2405
Credit: 3,264
Message 5461 - Posted 19 Oct 2009 3:33:58 UTC

One of my computers is doing the same thing on this project with no other projects running. The computer just reboots (no blue screen of death). It does not do this in any other project or when this project is not running.

Processor: AMD Athlon 2800+
MSI Motherboard
1 Gig RAM
266 MB Vid Card

How intensive is the CPU usage on this project (I'm thinking about the possibility of heat/overheating the CPU to cause a reboot.)

Profile Scientific Frontline

ID: 8725
Credit: 788,015
Message 5462 - Posted 19 Oct 2009 7:12:17 UTC

Had three reboots as described for the first time this week also.
Each time Docking was running.
Not running any other projects.
It happened on this comp.
http://docking.cis.udel.edu/community/show_host_detail.php?hostid=24137
I am not sure if D&H is the culprit, as that would seem odd and not logical... yet again...
System is well cooled with six fans, running 50c at 100%
Just thought I would mention. Darn comp needs a reboot now then anyhow.~smiles~
Heidi-Ann

Recognized by the Carnegie Institute of Science . Washington D.C.

Profile robertmiles

ID: 9967
Credit: 1,290,747
Message 5551 - Posted 24 Nov 2009 6:27:06 UTC

I MAY have seen this problem, but only once, some time ago. Not enough information recorded to tell if a Docking@home workunit was running when the reboot occurred.

The CUDA code was from GPUGRID instead, and occured after I noticed screensavers from a number of BOINC projects, mostly with full screen screensavers, interfering with that CUDA code. The interference was apparantly specific to the type of Nvidia card I use (a GeForce 9800 GT with a 190.38 driver), since a few other 9800 GT users reported similar problems under GPUGRID but no users of other Nvidia cards. Some other GPUGRID participant recommended a simple workaround, though - disable the use of the BOINC screensaver and keep disabling it every time you install a new BOINC version, since the default when installing a new BOINC version is to enable it again. Also, avoid any other means of starting full screen screensavers on that machine.

64-bit Vista SP2 with most of the Vista updates, but NOT the recent Microsoft-approved update specific to 9800 GT cards, since Microsoft did not see fit to provide enough information on which version number Nvidia gave it that I can tell whether it is compatible with running GPUGRID. CUDA 2.3.

No random reboots or CUDA interference seen since I disabled use of the BOINC screensaver a few weeks ago.

No similar problems seen with my other two machines that run Docking@home but not GPUGRID or any other CUDA workunits, even if I leave the BOINC screensaver enabled:

GeForce G 105M, 186.44 driver, CUDA 2.2, 64-bit Vista SP1 with most of the Vista updates

on-board graphics BOINC cannot use, 32-bit Vista SP2 with most of the Vista updates

Message boards : Number crunching : Bug Report - Random Reboots

Database Error
: The MySQL server is running with the --read-only option so it cannot execute this statement
array(3) {
  [0]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(47) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/db_conn.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(97)
    ["function"]=>
    string(8) "do_query"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#30 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(108) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(1) {
      [0]=>
      &string(51) "update DBNAME.thread set views=views+1 where id=456"
    }
  }
  [1]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(48) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/forum_db.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(60)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#30 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(108) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(3) {
      [0]=>
      object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
        ["id"]=>
        string(3) "456"
        ["forum"]=>
        string(1) "2"
        ["owner"]=>
        string(5) "12091"
        ["status"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["title"]=>
        string(27) "Bug Report - Random Reboots"
        ["timestamp"]=>
        string(10) "1259044026"
        ["views"]=>
        string(3) "432"
        ["replies"]=>
        string(2) "24"
        ["activity"]=>
        string(19) "2.1243102642813e-81"
        ["sufferers"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["score"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["votes"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["create_time"]=>
        string(10) "1249748056"
        ["hidden"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["sticky"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["locked"]=>
        string(1) "0"
      }
      [1]=>
      &string(6) "thread"
      [2]=>
      &string(13) "views=views+1"
    }
  }
  [2]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(63) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/user/community/forum/thread.php"
    ["line"]=>
    int(184)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(11) "BoincThread"
    ["object"]=>
    object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
      ["id"]=>
      string(3) "456"
      ["forum"]=>
      string(1) "2"